The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: CUSTOM DELOREAN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
3200rpm is about 90mph if I recall rightly.

Petrol prices are stupid but I refuse to let it spoil the enjoyment I get out of using far too much of it!

(Actually I would probably use BP's stupidly expensive high octane fuel if it were more easily available.)
Rottbott Wrote:3200rpm is about 90mph if I recall rightly.

Petrol prices are stupid but I refuse to let it spoil the enjoyment I get out of using far too much of it!

(Actually I would probably use BP's stupidly expensive high octane fuel if it were more easily available.)

I'll check my mph/rpm on Saturday when I pick Flopsy up from PJ Grady Smile

Be careful using these 'super' fuels, like BP Ultimate, I know of 2 De's that
have had their injectors buggered up by these fuels.

As for enjoyment - I wish I could afford to enjoy my De! Sad roll on
the insurance settlement on the Cavalier (whenever that comes... :roll: )
My injectors are now new/different ones anyway, and I will be able to adjust the engine management to suit the fuel I use.

Good luck with your insurance. At least you'll have your car back with you very soon now! I have to wait just a little bit longer but it's getting close..
Rob, your new engine should be noticably more economical on a long run, depending on how heavy your right foot is of course Wink
Maybe thats Claires' problem, Claire try using trainers instead of your steel toe bulider boots :lol:
The B28E and B28F metering heads support night on identical flow rates and if you're over fuelling at high rpm, you need to re-adjust the primary regulator in the metering head. Changing over to the larger intake venturi (which I could have sworn I did retrospectively the last time I worked on Flopsy, fixing all the vacuum leaks etc) will lean off at idle and INCREASE fuelling at higher RPM. The flap's got a larger surface area, hasn't it?

Fitting an E series metering head to an F series Venturi almost always results in start and warmup fuelling problems, unless re-shimmed.

the 066 (F series) CPR and 038 (E series) CPR have an identical warmup curve, but vastly different throttle deflection enrichment functions. This can be exploited, but will skew a fuelling test conducted at a standstill by revving the engine...

The only true way to investigate fuelling away from a rolling road is to data log from a wideband lambda probe plugged into a computer.... a service I now offer.

Dan, leae it alone.... it's setup to work the way it is now, and it works beautifully, and a LOT better than it used to before the upgrade.

BTW 3500 is 90 according to the few I've (maybe) driven at that speed. Nigel's euro spec was doing 4000 at 90 whilst I was trying to keep up wtih his Diablo!
stunned_monkey Wrote:Rob, your new engine should be noticably more economical on a long run, depending on how heavy your right foot is of course Wink

i thought it was having a turbo fitted ?

NickT

stunned_monkey Wrote:Changing over to the larger intake venturi (which I could have sworn I did retrospectively the last time I worked on Flopsy, fixing all the vacuum leaks etc)
Not when I measured it at EuroTech.

stunned_monkey Wrote:................ will lean off at idle and INCREASE fuelling at higher RPM. The flap's got a larger surface area, hasn't it?
Reverse of what you said. Fix engine speed. Air consumption of engine constant. Smaller diameter venturi/ metering flap displaces down more for given air flow through compared to larger diameter venturi. Lowering the flap increases fuelling.

stunned_monkey Wrote:the 066 (F series) CPR and 038 (E series) CPR have an identical warmup curve, but vastly different throttle deflection enrichment functions. This can be exploited, but will skew a fuelling test conducted at a standstill by revving the engine...
Test was done with this vac line disconnected and plugged negating engine vacuum on CPR.

stunned_monkey Wrote:The only true way to investigate fuelling away from a rolling road is to data log from a wideband lambda probe plugged into a computer.... a service I now offer.
Should have been done as part of development.

Cheapest mod that can be done with the car is fit a (nice-fitting) de-cat pipe, and fit the MATCHING venturi, fuel distributor, spark distributor, CPR from the Volvo B28E. Also not fit fuel lines that pulse the fuelling, balloon and fall off.

Claire could increase fuel economy now by hanging a couple of buckets underneath the exhaust pipes to catch the fuel dumped out of the back then pour it back into the tank after filtering the carbon out.

I will personally check Claires engine over and perform qualitative fuel pressure tests, CPR tests, fuel injector spray pattern tests, ignition curve tests etc to get it running right.

NickT

ps EVERY car is more economical on a long run.
Tourettes Tony Wrote:i thought it was having a turbo fitted ?
That's right. Turbos make for more efficient engines. It's also a smaller engine.

NickT Wrote:ps EVERY car is more economical on a long run.
I imagine he meant more economical on a long run than it previously was also on a long run.
NickT Wrote:Reverse of what you said. Fix engine speed. Air consumption of engine constant. Smaller diameter venturi/ metering flap displaces down more for given air flow through compared to larger diameter venturi. Lowering the flap increases fuelling.

etc etc etc....

NickT

Well you're clearly the expert. :roll:
Rottbott Wrote:I imagine he meant more economical on a long run than it previously was also on a long run.

Yes... and that it'd be less economical at the other extreme, by virtue of being considerably more powerful.

NickT

stunned_monkey Wrote:
Rottbott Wrote:I imagine he meant more economical on a long run than it previously was also on a long run.

Yes... and that it'd be less economical at the other extreme, by virtue of being considerably more powerful.

.............or at "Stage 1" rich state of tune :roll:

NickT
Whatever.... :lol:
Now then. :roll:
stunned_monkey Wrote:Whatever.... :lol:

yeah take note martin you may learn something, are you doing your best to annoy everybody on the forums session, with your i know more than you approach, and while im at it martin at Wurth is going to get in contact with you about something :wink: TT
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29