The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: CUSTOM DELOREAN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
I see. Do you know what gain in power mine has?
stunned_monkey Wrote:DGS, Claire's Flopsy and my ex #1458 were the three cars Dave and I tested our stage 1 mods on. None of these cars has a functioning lambda system as a result. You have a lambda sensor, but it's only performing the function of plugging up the hole.

...and mine still doesnt work properly, but its going to be sorted after
I get the car back this weekend Big Grin (I can feel a "tech sesh" coming on Smile )

Mines going to be set up the same as Richs - and hopefully I'll be able
to get revenge for his car beating Flopsy down the 1/4 mile strip at Santa
Pod...... Rich? :wink:
Claire Usher Wrote:...and mine still doesnt work properly, but its going to be sorted after
I get the car back this weekend Big Grin (I can feel a "tech sesh" coming on Smile )

Yours is set up the same as Rich's (unless Rich Has changed his since I told him how to do it). And it's not the way Nick has described.
Dan1986 Wrote:I see. Do you know what gain in power mine has?

Paul O'Malley's was dyno'd at 165hp with a free-flow exhaust but otherwise much the same setup as yours. Yours does not run rich, the primary regulator was shimmed to provide smooth fuelling throughout the rev range, unless someone has changed it since Dave Woodyard owned the car.

The Stage 1 mod gives better torque, a snappier throttle and often better fuel economy on a long run. It requires the cat be removed. Anyone changing from a standard setup to this instantly feels the difference.

Please pm me for more details about your car, as I know it quite well... (and Dave and I are still in touch).
stunned_monkey Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:...and mine still doesnt work properly, but its going to be sorted after

(unless Rich Has changed his since I told him how to do it). And it's not the way Nick has described.

Nick who martin? TT

NickT

stunned_monkey Wrote:

Yours is set up the same as Rich's (unless Rich Has changed his since I told him how to do it). And it's not the way Nick has described.

Settings I posted earlier are for all matching B28E components fron the Volvo Haynes manual. The vac pipe routing is how I set it up on Richs car when we tuned it one time unless he has changed it.

FWIW At Euro-Tech Claire and I plotted a Revs vs Fuel mixture graph using my gas analyser and it went off scale at 3500-4000. We did this for both steady running and snap acceleration. The venturi flap on Claires is standard delorean not from a B28E. This would explain the increase in air to fuel ratio as for a given air flow across the venturi the one with the smaller diameter will open further.

It's OK quoting figures but it would be more scientific to get dyno plots from rolling road results of equal comparisons ie not comparing one car with performance exhaust against a car with oem exhaust, compared to one with de-cat compared to one with turbo on etc etc etc

NickT
NickT Wrote:Settings I posted earlier are for all matching B28E components fron the Volvo Haynes manual. The vac pipe routing is how I set it up on Richs car when we tuned it one time unless he has changed it.

FWIW At Euro-Tech Claire and I plotted a Revs vs Fuel mixture graph using my gas analyser and it went off scale at 3500-4000. We did this for both steady running and snap acceleration. The venturi flap on Claires is standard delorean not from a B28E. This would explain the increase in air to fuel ratio as for a given air flow across the venturi the one with the smaller diameter will open further.

It's OK quoting figures but it would be more scientific to get dyno plots from rolling road results of equal comparisons ie not comparing one car with performance exhaust against a car with oem exhaust, compared to one with de-cat compared to one with turbo on etc etc etc

NickT

exactly Smile And I've got the correct venturi from Darren Bowker ready
to go on the car when I get it back. That should now steady things at
around 3000 - 4000 rpm - basically motorway cruising - and improve
the fuel 'economy'. I get less then 200 miles to a tank of petrol - and
it makes no difference whether I'm cruising down the m-way at 70 or having
a spirited blat round the lanes. I've worked out that my average
consumption is between 17 and 22mpg - which is ridiculous, when Sorbet
(which is an automatic) averages 24-29mpg.

FWIW I'm running Dan Shane's old '83 exhaust now, as my original one
was fubar.

By the way Nick, Phill and I are stopping up in Barnsley next Wednesday
evening as I've got to be at the hospital for 7am the next day Shock -
fancy meeting up for a pint and a natter?
NickT Wrote:Ensure that the B28E Venturi is used to the matching fuel distributor as this will alter the fuel curve causing v rich mixture.

So mine must be too rich then? Would it be best to change this?

NickT

Dan1986 Wrote:
NickT Wrote:Ensure that the B28E Venturi is used to the matching fuel distributor as this will alter the fuel curve causing v rich mixture.

So mine must be too rich then? Would it be best to change this?

I couldn't say that your car is running rich without checking it with a gas analyser at least or rolling road it at best.

Measure the diameter of the circular disc/ flap in the venturi. The OEM Delorean one is 88mm as far as I can remember. The B28E one is 10mm larger.

If it was my car and assuming that the rest of the fuel system is matching ie all from Volvo etc. I personally would change the venturi to match. I would also do a full fuel pressure test.

Hope this helps.

NickT.

ps If you de-cat the car you will obviously get better economy as you have removed the restrictive high cell catalytic converter.
Yes it has no cat on it. Martin said in an earlier post that I have the standard venturi on mine, but i'll check to find out. I take it you just pop the air filter off and measure the hole?

As for fuel pressure test, I have no equipment to do that Cry

As for Flopsy, what is causing her to be so unecconomical? Is she set up with the volvo stuff but with a standard venturi like mine is?
Dan1986 Wrote:As for Flopsy, what is causing her to be so unecconomical? Is she set up with the volvo stuff but with a standard venturi like mine is?

pretty much, yes, everything else has been tested, and NickT's tests
that we did at Eurotec last year proved beyond doubt that the venturi
on my car is the smaller one, and is therefore the cause of the poor
fuel economy on my car - if Phill is driving behind me, he can smell
unburnt fuel coming out of my exhaust as well.

I also had the car looked at one afternoon by Darren Bowker and he
also said that my venturi was the smaller one - luckilly he had a spare
one which he kindly gave to me £FOC Smile

NickT

Claire Usher Wrote:.......................

By the way Nick, Phill and I are stopping up in Barnsley next Wednesday
evening as I've got to be at the hospital for 7am the next day Shock -
fancy meeting up for a pint and a natter?

Love to Claire as it's on my way to work, but unfortunately I'm working in North Yorkshire on a project.

Hope the hospital goes well.

NickT
Right so I need to measure mine and if its the smaller one as suspected, then I need to locate a standard volvo one too?
Claire Usher Wrote:That should now steady things at around 3000 - 4000 rpm - basically motorway cruising - and improve the fuel 'economy'. I get less then 200 miles to a tank of petrol - and it makes no difference whether I'm cruising down the m-way at 70 or having a spirited blat round the lanes.
Uh huh. :)
Rottbott Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:That should now steady things at around 3000 - 4000 rpm - basically motorway cruising - and improve the fuel 'economy'. I get less then 200 miles to a tank of petrol - and it makes no difference whether I'm cruising down the m-way at 70 or having a spirited blat round the lanes.
Uh huh. Smile

lol - that infamous night when me and you were playing catch up on
the M1 was when petrol was a bit more affordable :wink:

I worked out last night, that it costs £12 more to fill the tank in my
petrol Cavalier then it did 12 months ago - petrol has gone up 91p a gallon
since January 2007!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29