Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RHD Project for auction, 1st Sept 2018
For those of you who like the headlight trims fitted to the AXI cars, I see D go now have them in stock

https://www.deloreango.com/uk/parts/elec...html#&p=10

I like these trims, 

Matt Clarke first reproduced these.....as you know they were only fitted by the factory on two cars....AXI 1697 and AXI 1699. ...and now AXI 1698!    But I suspect they would have been an option later on.

Regards to fixing them, I would go with the screwed one...that how they were done at the factory.  But as you won't have a very thick piece of plastic bumper to screw into, I'd use a weak double sided tape as well.

Remember you will probably have to grind off bits of the back, to make them fit properly...before fitting permanently.

Yes you would have to remove them again, if you need to remove the headlight...but how many times do you need to do that?
Chris Parnham in Derby  chrisparnham@live.co.uk  07502 143 433
Grey RHD Auto MGJ 126Y (AXI 1699)
BMW X1 4X4 Auto.
Mitsubishi Outlander Plug in 4X4
MG ZS EV Plug in (on order)
From what I've seen on FB, James Russell-Grant is remaking the headlight trims and then DGo are selling them on.

Sad to see Delores up for sale again ChrisP, she's always been such a special car to you.
Claire  - DOC-UK Treasurer
1981/W DeLorean DMC-12 'Flopsy' - #2292 - resting due to block rot 
1989/G Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6L 5dr "Guinney" -
1995/N Renault Espace RT Alize 2.1TD "Jaffa the Bus"
DOC170
Quite correct Claire.

Matt is so busy with his day job they agreed James RG should make them.

The patterns were taken off Nigel's, AXI 1697 ..shortly after we met up at Bletchley Park.

Yes Claire, but I think 20 years ownership is probably enough for AXI 1698.

And I want to put some  miles on MGJ next year.....and get a few more holidays in as well!
BMW X1 4X4 Auto.
It'll be 17yrs tomorrow that 'Flopsy' has been in my physical ownership, hopefully next year we can make a start on the rebuild.......
Claire  - DOC-UK Treasurer
1981/W DeLorean DMC-12 'Flopsy' - #2292 - resting due to block rot 
1989/G Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6L 5dr "Guinney" -
1995/N Renault Espace RT Alize 2.1TD "Jaffa the Bus"
DOC170
            A little update folks.....two steps forward, one step back!  

I was a little careless yesterday. Now I've finally bolted on the refurbished Master cylinder, and last servo, all that was needed was to bleed the brakes! .....easy..?

I usually use one of those device's that pressurise the brake fluid with air from your spare wheel.  Not normally a problem......except when you forget that it was pumped to to 50 psi , so I could push the car easily around my garage!  Result?  It blew of the plastic fitting off the top of the master cylinder and sprayed brake fluid all over the place....incuding my recently scrubbed garage floor! Blush

I'll have another go tomorrow!
BMW X1 4X4 Auto.
A bit of a red-letter day,  having finally finished the brakes off, the car drove under its own power for the first time in over 30 years.

The brakes were a right pain in the neck to bleed. With everything being new, or newly refurbished, it took nearly a gallon of brake fluid to get the air out.  Only then did I dare try it under its own power...I only drove around the block....but it good after about 15 months of ownership.....to see that it actually works. Smile

I have some video but I cant seem to post it...too big?
BMW X1 4X4 Auto.
All looks very nice, did the front wheels fit all OK over the Princess calipers?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2018's DeLorean event: http://deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=5715
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584 1972 Bond Bug.

Yes they fit fine Chris.......I will be very interested to see how they work once everything has bedded in.
BMW X1 4X4 Auto.

Tris C has kindly uploaded onto youtube, MGJ / AXI's fist short drive since it was put away in its damp garage in the early 1980's. 

(filmed yesterday 7th Dec. 2019) 

see.          https://youtu.be/6tetFo9NRo0  thanks Tris......

I then took it for a quick drive around the block Big Grin      The back of my overalls are cleaner than the front! Blush
BMW X1 4X4 Auto.

Having owned and worked on this car for over a year......I've only just spotted a glaring fault! 
  Did anyone else spot it at the NEC and was too polite to mention it?   (Mike Hooper)?

The top picture is the issue... obviously the Factory didn't employ a "Chis Nicholson".......But someone had a go at it...after a fashion.

Its funny, but now I know its there, I cant take my eyes off it, but I suspect I wasn't the only who didn't spot it!  

I'm leaving it as it is...its part of its history... Rolleyes

I wonder if this wing came off vin 500?
BMW X1 4X4 Auto.
In Jan 1981, Vin  500, or Job 1 as it was known, the "first" production car.   Was being test driven by Lotus's Mike Foxton, as he  practiced  JZD's first drive, of the first car, off production line and out of the building... Unfortunately Mike collided with  a mental stillage (pallet) in the yard, damaging the front wing...........See page 148 of DCTI.  Angry

As we know, 2 years later, during the final days of receivership, the receiver orders 'get anything on wheels saleable' (in the UK).

The engineers dragged all and everything out of the dark corners, many of which had already been robbed of parts and they 'bolted on' anything they could find.  This is why many of the early cars / RHD cars ended up with the later flat bonnets. 

LH front wings and grooved bonnets were already scarce and the engineers may have sorted through the 'scrap pile' looking for any stuff they could repair and use.

I may take the wing off one day, and see if there is any  'cave writing' on the back of it.......but it matters not.  Undecided
BMW X1 4X4 Auto.