Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignoring marker lights laws
Ive seen so many people in the uk just re-installing their marker lights. On the street etc. 
Im so tempted. 
Think it looks way better, or is there a way of adding a switch to keep it road legal?

And where would the wires have been cut to keep the indicators only?

Thanks

Or is it ok now that they’re historic vehicles ?
Vin 05634 since 2000
If you're referring to the indicators at the front, you will need to have some form of side light to replace the function of the indicators, usually done with the new hella H4 units having a space for a t10 side light.

My front indicators are not used as side lights, i replaced the connector with 3 bullet connectors and joined up the ground and indicator function leaving the side light wire disconnected
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
I have all ambers (side markers and front bumper) acting as running lights. As long as you have complimentary white lights (white lights which are also on at the same time) you can have them as designed.

I’ve also got the red side markers working as originally designed too. Never been called up about them, so have left them. Never even had comments at an MOT, never mind from out and about. Legally speaking, well; they’re not.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I do know of some occasions where MOT inspectors have picked up the fact that marker lights were in use/illuminated BUT most sensible inspectors just ignored the fact that the were in use. Technically I believe they were correct in failing them on them. Certainly it made sense at the very least to use the fronts as side indicator repeaters and from what I see most run with side markers on.
Edit: re-read what you actually wrote! I personally don't like having permanent amber running lights at the front, I prefer them just as indicators
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I was the only car going round Silverstone the other year with Amber running lights at the front. Good way to pick me out of a crowd. Big Grin
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I think the car looks nicer with the lights. The vosa test meant they had to be disconnected, i hadnt really considered that mot testers were more reasonable. 
What about the usa style number plates? I was at an american car show and loads of owners were saying they just run with them on all the time. The “normal” uk plates make the car look stupid, even the black/silver ones.
Vin 05634 since 2000
If the car was designed to fit the US spec size then you can legally use the US size plates. However not the stamped metal US style plates. I'm sure 'most' of the time you would get away with it and if pulled probably nothing more than a telling off.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
you have to run a UK sized plate on the front, but you can fit a 'State Plate' sized one on the back
as it has to fit in the number plate bezel on the back - assuming your car has one.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie