The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Ignoring marker lights laws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive seen so many people in the uk just re-installing their marker lights. On the street etc. 
Im so tempted. 
Think it looks way better, or is there a way of adding a switch to keep it road legal?

And where would the wires have been cut to keep the indicators only?

Thanks

Or is it ok now that they’re historic vehicles ?
If you're referring to the indicators at the front, you will need to have some form of side light to replace the function of the indicators, usually done with the new hella H4 units having a space for a t10 side light.

My front indicators are not used as side lights, i replaced the connector with 3 bullet connectors and joined up the ground and indicator function leaving the side light wire disconnected
I have all ambers (side markers and front bumper) acting as running lights. As long as you have complimentary white lights (white lights which are also on at the same time) you can have them as designed.

I’ve also got the red side markers working as originally designed too. Never been called up about them, so have left them. Never even had comments at an MOT, never mind from out and about. Legally speaking, well; they’re not.
I do know of some occasions where MOT inspectors have picked up the fact that marker lights were in use/illuminated BUT most sensible inspectors just ignored the fact that the were in use. Technically I believe they were correct in failing them on them. Certainly it made sense at the very least to use the fronts as side indicator repeaters and from what I see most run with side markers on.
Edit: re-read what you actually wrote! I personally don't like having permanent amber running lights at the front, I prefer them just as indicators
I was the only car going round Silverstone the other year with Amber running lights at the front. Good way to pick me out of a crowd. Big Grin
I think the car looks nicer with the lights. The vosa test meant they had to be disconnected, i hadnt really considered that mot testers were more reasonable. 
What about the usa style number plates? I was at an american car show and loads of owners were saying they just run with them on all the time. The “normal” uk plates make the car look stupid, even the black/silver ones.
If the car was designed to fit the US spec size then you can legally use the US size plates. However not the stamped metal US style plates. I'm sure 'most' of the time you would get away with it and if pulled probably nothing more than a telling off.
you have to run a UK sized plate on the front, but you can fit a 'State Plate' sized one on the back
as it has to fit in the number plate bezel on the back - assuming your car has one.