Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RHD Project for auction, 1st Sept 2018
(14 May 2021, 12:15)Chris P Wrote: Big Grin Well ...thats it then.......MOT'd today....1st one in 35 years!

Thanks for all the help and advice, particularly to Andrew Westerman and the two Richards, in sorting out my fuel system.

It doesn't seem possible Ive had the car nearly 4 years!

Now I tax it and look at getting its original reg number...AXI 1699.....back....  Big Grin

woohoo, another AXI on the road, do we expect an appearance at Silverstone Chris P? 

glad its original number plate is returning to where it belongs  Big Grin
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Congratulations Chris, great to see this special car back on the road.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Although its passed its MOT, there still loads of jobs need doing....electrical bits and bobs mainly....no heater fans....or air-con, roof Ariel needs replacing (and thats TEE Panel off) only one window working, etc etc.

But on the plus side I can, and have...taken it for a good local drive around. The auto gearbox surprised me on how nicely it operates....The car feels nice on the road....still quite "tight", the first 20k miles were all put on  before it was sold at the factory auction.. in 1983, its managed less that 2,000 in the 38 years since.

Regarding the silverstone weekend....... we have not booked, as we should have  been going on a river cruise in France....but after a 2 years wait, that has just been cancelled.

I need to use the car for a while and fix some of these remaining issues before I can commit to a long drive in it.

i'll come if I can.  Smile the last thing I need is a breakdown.  Angry
Chris Parnham in Derby  historian@deloreans.co.uk
RHD Auto AXI 1699 (MGJ 126Y) vin 5730
Kia E-Niro 4+ 2022 model.BEV.
TR7 Convertible 

DOC Club Historian 

A red letter day today....after months of waiting, I now have confirmation from the DVLA that AXI 1699 has finally got its original number back!!   Big Grin
TR7 Convertible 

DOC Club Historian 
Fabulous news Chris!
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Woohoo! Fantastic news. Yes you've definitely completed a big piece of the jigsaw there.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Not strictly the place for this...but have a look at this Link...... http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6187
TR7 Convertible 

DOC Club Historian 
AXI 1699 is looking amazing Chris, a real piece of DeLorean history.
    Thanks Claire...and the thing is, almost everything you can see is all original ....all I've done is clean everything, stainless and interior. The only visible things I have changed are the headlight units and the window switch mounting assembly.......more of that later.

I did re-paint the wheels and the faded fibreglass rear light surrounds and fit stainless rear bumper letters. But the rest of the work was underneath with the mechanicals...mainly the braking system, which I had to go right through.

If this had been your average British car from the early 80's, treated in this way, you could have almost 'swept it up'.

It is a testament to the design of the car.....(that unless it is parked in a swamp!)........it is restorable.
TR7 Convertible 

DOC Club Historian 
its amazing to see it like that considering the life its had, I bet its got low mileage after all those years parked up.
Sorry for the late reply Claire .....Of all the RHD cars sold when the factory closed, this one had covered the most miles; over 20K during factory ownership. Its now at 23K.  It was clearly the favoured 'hack' for all the senior managers.  Thats one of the things I like about it.

Its just had its new Stainless exhaust System fitted by the folk at Nottingham. It no longer sounds like a Tractor!

It was of course already De-catted by the factory engingeers in 1982.  This had been done by welding a section of pipe in, making disassembly impossible, hence the new system. 

But as we all know, the old manifold gaskets will eventually fail anyway, so I had to address the issue.  Refitted with stainless steel manifold studs and long brass nuts from D-Go, its now 'future-proofed'  and could be disassembled without any further drama.  I have saved the old 'Welded silencer' to go with the car, as it is a part of its history.

Another major benefit of the new system, is removing the hateful 'cross-over pipe'......I often think about that and all the flexible fuel pipes passing near it!

This photo it my old BTTF car.. I call it my "Act of God" photo. 

I was displaying the car at a local theam park (many years ago)  and took some photos, when I later printed them off, it started running out of ink...and this was was what popped out of the printer!  I couldn't believe it, but did have the presance on mind to photograph  the print and that's it....my 'Act of God' photo! 

....but I often think about what could happen in real life, should the fuel spray allover the back of the engine! Angry
TR7 Convertible 

DOC Club Historian 
wow, that's a great picture, but like you say, a warning too.