Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temperature gauge not working - NOW FIXED
Thought I’d start a new thread on this, just in case it’s of help to anyone in the future....

In my case, the temp gauge always stayed pinned at 100f. 
The usual grounding check did nothing to the gauge when ignition was on, despite installing a new temp sender, and cleaning all connections on the bulk head.
(If you’re reading this for help, do the above first)

So, next I checked continuity between the connector on the temp sender and the connector on the bulk head, and this was fine.
(It’s the white connector nearest to the firewall under the yellow one, 3rd pin opening up on the right of the connector - or simply trace the wire colour to the pin)

Next, I checked continuity from the engine bay all the way to the binnacle. I didn’t want to remove the binnacle yet - so I performed some “on the back tests” in the footwell, seeing as all 3 connection bolts for the gauge are accessible when looking up.
With the ignition on, I checked for power on the bottom bolt (ground) and the right middle bolt (live).
Thankfully for me, there was 12v. 

This means there’s a continuity issue between the bulkhead and the gauge.

So next I ran a long cable from the engine bay connector into the car and used that to check continuity with my multimeter to the back of the gauge. 
(The sender signal bolt is the left middle bolt)
I had ZERO continuity on the bolt itself, BUT I did have good continuity on the circuit board under the nut that connects the circuit to the bolt.....

AH HA!!!!! Thankfully continuity is intact from the engine bay, from the bulk head, to the binnacle connector and the circuit board.

Now - this is were the solution is to remove the binnacle and replace the nut with a nice brass one to get a proper connection.
Whilst this IS what I will be doing - I want to get out and enjoy the car and do this over the winter.....

So I cheated..... I ran a brand new wire from the back of the gauge, through the bulk head and on to the temp sender......
Hey presto, TEMPERATURE GAUGE IS WORKING!!!!!

Wooo hoooooo!!!!
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Congratulations Tris...Sherlock Holmes and Heath Robinson would be proud of you! Smile

The thing is, you now have working temperature gauge.....essential on any rear engined (water cooled) car.

Keep an eye on it and a spare gallon of water under the bonnet...just in case. Angel 

Enjoy your car now, get some miles on it and give the folk in your area the ..."Silver-Streak" treatment. For most of them, it will be the very first time they have ever seen a DeLorean on the road!....making it a special day for most of them.

I'm hopeless at complicated electrical work.....or anything else complicated, like computers....I phones....sat navs etc etc. Angry
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(01 Jul 2018, 07:16)Chris P Wrote: Congratulations Tris...Sherlock Holmes and Heath Robinson would be proud of you! Smile

The thing is, you now have working temperature gauge.....essential on any rear engined (water cooled) car.

Keep an eye on it and a spare gallon of water under the bonnet...just in case. Angel 

Enjoy your car now, get some miles on it and give the folk in your area the ..."Silver-Streak" treatment. For most of them, it will be the very first time they have ever seen a DeLorean on the road!....making it a special day for most of them.

I'm hopeless at complicated electrical work.....or anything else complicated, like computers....I phones....sat navs etc etc. Angry

Thanks Chris,

I’m no electrical wizz - but I was determined to get this temp gauge working. Even if a bit “heath Robinson” Big Grin

The local area had the treatment yesterday - and I appeared on Facebook shortly after when I was spotted. People outside pubs waving and sticking their thumbs up. (I hope it was their thumbs Big Grin

I will definately keep some water on board as you suggest. 
Out in her today to take my good lady for a little jaunt.
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Just looking at the videos on your website Tris, is the front ride-hight a little high?  If so, you can have my last set of Euro-springs if you like.  I've been saving them back, but to honest I don't think I will ever need them.  It would be nice to donate a little something to your lovely car. Angel
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(01 Jul 2018, 09:36)Chris P Wrote: Just looking at the videos on your website Tris, is the front ride-hight a little high?  If so, you can have my last set of Euro-springs if you like.  I've been saving them back, but to honest I don't think I will ever need them.  It would be nice to donate a little something to your lovely car. Angel

Yes I’ve thought the same. It appears to be lower than stock, yet not as low as I’ve seen the euro springed cars.
Let me know what you want for the springs Chris - maybe I can get the Mrs to get me an early Xmas pressie Big Grin Cool
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
TristanC Wrote:
(It’s the white connector nearest to the firewall under the yellow one, 3rd pin opening up on the right of the connector - or simply trace the wire colour to the pin)

I'm sure you mean left.  The pin on the right is the oil pressure sender connection. ;-)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(01 Jul 2018, 10:29)Rissy Wrote:
TristanC Wrote:

I'm sure you mean left.  The pin on the right is the oil pressure sender connection. ;-)

Mine was on the right of the unplugged connector, as you look to the driver side...
But yes you are correct actually lol the actual pontoon connector would be on the left Big Grin

Lol

And thanks for the info on the locations - it helped a lot when I was doing this.
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales