Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cat
trying to get the cat off its rusted that bad i can`t get it off tryed forceing it but it still won`t budge any suggestions
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421
Delorean Dream within a Dream
roll on eurotec 2009 love you all
[Image: covercarpics034.jpg]

[Image: mybanner48c1296704f7enw1.jpg]
What end is rusted on tracey ?
Daniel Shane Wrote:What end is rusted on tracey ?

The end with the four bolts in it. The nuts have all broken off and we cannot see wether the studs left are press out or are threaded to screw out.
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421

You could try sticking a flat chisel in between the two flanges thats how i did mine, try not to shock the main exhaust / gaskets too much Sad
bozzzydmc Wrote:You could try sticking a flat chisel in between the two flanges thats how i did mine, try not to shock the main exhaust / gaskets too much Sad

We have tried that but it is in such a tight space we cannot get anything in there to prize it apart. Am now trying to drill studs out but this is proving difficult as well due to the space. Any help giving will be gratefully recieved.
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421

Is the main back box off ?
if not take it off ...

making sure the nuts are off the cat ...try hammering the straight part off the bend on the cat from the inside towards the back of the car .....that should do it Smile
bozzzydmc Wrote:Is the main back box off ?
if not take it off ...

making sure the nuts are off the cat ...try hammering the straight part off the bend on the cat from the inside towards the back of the car .....that should do it Smile

well we`ve had another go and the bugger won`t shift been hammering for 3 bloody hours ,got the chissle in between but it just won`t prize off,so i`ve left it for the rest of the day got a worn out hand and i`m knackerd ,i`ll have another go tommorrow ,we shall do it ,as i want my bypass pipe on grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr let you know how i get on tomorrow :roll: :?
me and andy have been hammering for 3 hours hey don`t be rude :wink:
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421

OOH ER ! 8)

The exhaust pipe needs to come outwards of the exhaust manifold.
There is a 5mm lip on the circular exhaust pipe that inserts into the exhaust manifold.

The studs on the cat are not threaded in the cat but are like wheel studs ie whacked in from the back.

If you have broken all of the nuts off then drift it out using a thick punch on the catalytic studs themselves from underneath the car. I'm presuming you are putting a cat bypass on and not wanting to keep the cat.

NickT.
[Image: 230.gif]

never heard of one being that much of a pain to remove ...sorry you are having so much trouble getting it off.

As Nick says hopefully if you whack the studs from the nut end it will drift the cat off with them.
Nice one Mike, a picture is a thousand words......
shame its not a thousand pounds Smile
mmm, That would nearly pay for a performence exhaust!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
exactly :o
We have been trying all day to drift the studs out but all to no avail. We have also sharpened a srewdriver and tryed to get that knocked in between to prize it apart but again it got the better of us. I have now given up on it and am working on getting it ready for its MOT at 1300 hrs on Tuesday. I will come back to the cat another day. Many thanks for everybody who offered suggestions.
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421

You could give it a good squirt of rust release oil in the meantime .. Good luck for Tues !