Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relays - Worth replacing?
Had a poke round my new D yesterday, all my relays look original & seem to be working. Is there any point changing any for newer/better versions. Heat/drain etc etc?
Thanks K
I'm still running mostly original relays. They're sealed units. If they're working, then no reason to suspect iminent failure IMO.

I know people tend to carry around a spare RPM relay with them, but I never have done. (Although thinking it's maybe a good idea that I do. Just not sure why?! Lol)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
As I understand it it's recomended that the relays and fuses are changed due to oxidisation. Likewise the circuit breakers can break down as well. However I stand to be corrected. :wink:
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Welllllllllll,

<begin technical waffle that makes me sound clever>

There is an argument for replacement, based on three things:
Relaxation - contacts losing their 'springyness' over time, resulting in a weaker contact.
Fretting corrosion - contact wear caused by tiny vibrations.
Contact erosion - sparks causing the contacts to be gradually eaten away.

This 'wear' is caused by use not age

Generally relays are rated at in excess of 250,000 close/open cycles

<end technical waffle>

Some owners will replace them because somehow they feel they ought to, in order to 'prevent' some failure that is unlikely to happen. In reality if anything is going to cause you problems, it will be the relay sockets themselves.

Given the amount of use your DeLorean has had, almost certainly less than 100,000 miles, the likelihood of the relays actually needing replacement is virtually nil.

From personal experience I've had my DeLorean over 11 years now (my God has it been that long) and it still has the original relays in it. I go by the old saying: if it ain't broke.....

Of course if you don't replace them and one fails, then you'll wish you had. But then you can use that silly argument for every single component on the car.....

As per the first post on this thread,
Quote:Dipped Beam, Main Beam, Fan 3rd Speed, Fan 4th Speed, Cooling Fan Start Inhibit, AC Ilumination
are interchangeable, so if one did fail, you can always swap it over for another if you're in a fix.

The decision is yours.....
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.