Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean Stolen in the North West
Hope the missing Delorean gets found soon, I've acquired a disc lock for mine ready in anticipation of it coming home.

Also I have been thinking of getting an alarm/imobilser in the car too as I dont want to take the risk of it going walkies!!

Have any of you guys and girls got alarms/imobilisers fitted?
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
I have an American alarm on mine. It's too trigger happy though. Goes nuts when someone closes a front door to a nearby house too heavily. I've tried everything, from advice etc to try and tone its sensitivity down a bit, but nothing seems to work. I have to switch off the shock sensor when I leave it now, otherwise it goes off at the slightest whisper. During the last club meet, in 2010, before I figured out how to switch off the shock sensor when locking the car, it kept waking everyone up in the middle of the night from the car park! lol!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
A friend sent me this link a few days ago....

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/news...ar-thefts/
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I found that I had to fit a dual-circuit immobiliser, alarm and a tracker to get a decent insurance quote. Also have a hidden switch in case of key theft and will put secondary GPS tracking on the car computer.
I had an alarm in my wee Suzuki Swift (first car) it was very sensitive the wind used to set it off Confused. however its better it being like that than not working at all.

Interesting article Rich, are classic's perhaps an easier touch to steal now as modern cars come with arms imobilisers etc?

I had thought of getting an alarm with a tracker as I dont want to loose the car.
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
RichH Wrote:A friend sent me this link a few days ago....

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/news...ar-thefts/

Just read this, thanks for the link Rich. Really does reinforce my view on not renting a garage down this way to keep LEX in, just for convenience. Think i'll go and buy a steering wheel lock as added insurance now that it seems that not even OUR cars are safe. I might also have to consider keeping on waking people up instead of shutting my overly sensitive car up all the time...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I believe Mike (mr dashbo) was converting the DMC into a BTTF replica, hence the tinted main beam headlights-hope he gets it back 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
RobScott Wrote:reading the guy's thread,

He's basically saying he's ringing a car.... legally you cant just transfer a vin plate to a differnt car... It would have to be registered as a new vehicle.

Rob,

I don't think thats really the case. Technically (as I read it), its a rebuild of 2311, ie a replacement chassis. You can do that, if its a new, unstamped, replacement chassis from the factory (IIRC, this came from Dave H, so as good as we can get in 2013). It is not taking another vehicles identity, it is just using up a new chassis which has never previosuly been used or registered.

So I dont think this would need it to be re-registered. It would just need to be (UK) registered.

Hopefully Mike gets his motor back tho. It will be very hard to shift, even as parts, for the thief.

a
bjbrownie Wrote:I believe Mike (mr dashbo) was converting the DMC into a BTTF replica, hence the tinted main beam headlights-hope he gets it back 8)

Are they not just the headlamp brackets nicely painted gloss black? The sealed beam units themselves seem to be missing.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Can't make out if it is the headlight shells Dermot, iPhone pics aren't that clear, but I spoke to Mike a few years ago when he had his other DMC living near ish to me on the Wirral and he said he was buying a car to rebuild as a BTTF replica. Incidentally, he builds the time circuit led centre console displays,nice job too looking at his pics 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Given this car was a non runner and taken directly from his driveway using some form of car transporter I doubt that all the steering wheel/wheel clamp etc etc devices in the world would help prevent its theft.

If someone wants it that badly they're going to take it no matter what.

The sad thought is that given the car is 'incomplete' its unlikely to be sold complete instead being broken for parts, which lets be honest are untraceable.
VIN 17152 - The Manx 'D'
Sad but probably true.

Ask some VERY searching questions next time a left front fender appears on Ebay...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Missing car turns up!

Dave Howarth tells me the missing car has turned up, dumped, damaged on an industrial estate. The owner has taken possession of it again.

Coincidentally most of the items supplied / lent by Dave, n/s front wing, Bonnet front and back ends, seats etc have all been damaged.

Dave assumes the it is insured and that the insurance company will eventually cough up!

Dave is very upset my the turn of events and as a result will not be supplying any more spares for the moment and until things are sorted out.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Wonderful that it has reappeared although a crying shame that it is damaged, I hope it can all be repaired...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:Dave Howarth tells me the missing car has turned up, dumped, damaged on an industrial estate
Suppose it was inevitable really. As I and most have mentioned what else could be done with it???? (other than parts) lets hope it's sorted soon.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584