Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean Found from my childhood for sale in my Town
hi all

really sad i cant buy this, but wife wants me to finish kitchen first!.

ideal for me, and pretty much the condition i bought vin1621 over from the states.
likely will need..all hydraulics rebuilds, new brake pipes (if they have liely collapsed!), new tyres, wheel refurb likely, poss new suspensionm shocks etc, owner probably want low springs, new tabs, poss frane work (especially if master cylinder leaked), new column bush, maybe some interior, new speakers etc, open engine and treat valley of death, obviously new engine parts/service oils etc, new fluids throughout, poss new aircon-recharge at least.
then redo fascias, black plastics which are likely grey, poss new door handles, window regulators.
mine the light buckets etc, bonnet hinges were dust!.

so all can be done over time, but perhaps 1-2k getting it running maybe (assuming engine and box are reasonable), then maybe £3k plus getting looking at it should.

i would buy it right now if i had a spare £9k, i suspect it maybe someone we know well who has offered?.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Great that it has found an owner, I wonder if it was the chap who recently introduced himself on here. It should make a great project for someone; if I were looking for one I'd have been sorely tempted by that. Especially as it is already here and UK registered, which I found the faffiest part of the whole procedure!

Great stuff, well done in being instrumental in rescuing it!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Richard, You like me, already have one! It will make a nice "project" for someone. But if a person had another few grand Paul B's car is all sorted, similar spec and ready to go.

Vin 522passed its MOT yesterday! Now ripped the seats out again and starting on the trim and carpets.

Door hinge alignment sorted after advice from Chris N and Rich....and the use of a very long torque wrench to tighten up bolts!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Rich, there are no flys on you!

Spoke to Steven this evening, deposit has been paid....now to book the ferry and lift the car on the 29th of June.

Another one comes home!!
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
I'm glad they accepted your offer, it would have been such a disappointment if they'd excepted you from buying her. Wink
VIN 17152 - The Manx 'D'
I am glad they accepted the offer as well, its put me 5 years ahead of schedule. I always promised myself one before I hit 40. Tongue
I'm very glad a deal has been done with this car, I honestly don't think it should take too long to get it running. Getting it all looking nice is much longer term job.

It appears to have been in dryish storage in the UK, so non of your problems with "fried and baked" cars that are common with abandoned USA cars.

Yes the brakes will probably have seized up, but I bought two cars like that, Dusty and Frenchy, both were freed off and sorted out with little trouble and minimal expense. I cleaned off the brake disks, painted up the suspension bits, cleaned under the wheel arches etc.

Personally, while its still in one piece, i'd un-plug the coil, drain the tank, give the fuel system a quick flush through at the metering head, a couple of gallons off new petrol and try it. Then take it from there......If it starts, bung some injector cleaner in it and you are away! .This worked for all of my RHD's and Dusty , after 30 years of storage! Except i didn't drain or flush the system on Dusty as it had only ever had a couple of gallons of fuel in its entire life!

The auto box could need a bit of attention with standing, but the skills are around the club to fix this....(If not I have new auto box available).

It looks as if it may need a water pump, but then again most do after 30 years. ( Dave howarth can still get your own overhauled for a little over £100, depending on how bad it is inside) I know you can buy new one's, but I prefer to keep the originals. .....fitting the water pump is a different matter! ( both Andy W and I have done this job in the last few weeks) But at least it gives you the opportunity to have a good poke around in the valley of death.

Anyway David, congratulations, good luck, take your time, take advice, don't rush and don't spend your "hard earned" unnecessarily!

Chrispy
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
DMCNI Wrote:I am glad they accepted the offer as well, its put me 5 years ahead of schedule. I always promised myself one before I hit 40. Tongue

Congrats! 8) Hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.
http://www.deloreanhire.com
http://www.fusiontimetravel.co.uk

Ex 1981 DMC Delorean Time Machine owner.
Chris P Wrote:I'm very glad a deal has been done with this car, I honestly don't think it should take too long to get it running. Getting it all looking nice is much longer term job.

It appears to have been in dryish storage in the UK, so non of your problems with "fried and baked" cars that are common with abandoned USA cars.

Yes the brakes will probably have seized up, but I bought two cars like that, Dusty and Frenchy, both were freed off and sorted out with little trouble and minimal expense. I cleaned off the brake disks, painted up the suspension bits, cleaned under the wheel arches etc.

Personally, while its still in one piece, i'd un-plug the coil, drain the tank, give the fuel system a quick flush through at the metering head, a couple of gallons off new petrol and try it. Then take it from there......If it starts, bung some injector cleaner in it and you are away! .This worked for all of my RHD's and Dusty , after 30 years of storage! Except i didn't drain or flush the system on Dusty as it had only ever had a couple of gallons of fuel in its entire life!

The auto box could need a bit of attention with standing, but the skills are around the club to fix this....(If not I have new auto box available).

It looks as if it may need a water pump, but then again most do after 30 years. ( Dave howarth can still get your own overhauled for a little over £100, depending on how bad it is inside) I know you can buy new one's, but I prefer to keep the originals. .....fitting the water pump is a different matter! ( both Andy W and I have done this job in the last few weeks) But at least it gives you the opportunity to have a good poke around in the valley of death.

Anyway David, congratulations, good luck, take your time, take advice, don't rush and don't spend your "hard earned" unnecessarily!

Chrispy

Fingers crossed Chris, I hope it wont take too much to get the car up and running but I am prepared to do what ever is necessary. I will pass on your recommendations to my mechanic as he tries to breath life into the engine!

Regards the parts I would like to keep it as original as possible (where cost allows) so I think I would be up for refurbing most stuff.

Looking forward to picking everyones brains along the way and gaining the knowledge you guys have stored in them Smile

lukebrynycz Wrote:
DMCNI Wrote:I am glad they accepted the offer as well, its put me 5 years ahead of schedule. I always promised myself one before I hit 40. Tongue

Congrats! 8) Hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.

I think I will enjoy it Luke, looking forward to meeting other owners and hearing the tales and storys they have from over the years.
Congrats David, on your purchase.

Make sure you join the www.delorean.ie club/forum also and get in touch with the various owners in and around Belfast, if that's where you still live. Not all of them come on here.

You'll get all the help you need from either source.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Great to see another 'going home' to be loved again Big Grin

I'm sure it will be back on the road soon, Hope to see you and the car at the next Eurofest in only 3 years!
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Finally getting a chance to put a few picture's up of my purchase, I cant get over the condition of the car and still have that Deloran buzz.

The previous owner certainly looked after this car, and it is a credit to him, the documentation I got with the car is unreal....I was gobsmacked when Mrs Jordan the owners sister presented me 3 files, packed with Service Manuals, photos of the car and volumes of Delorean World Magazine, two sets of original keys also came with the car.

It was great to meet Steve and see his BTTF car in the flesh, a lovely looking car my mate Dan thought it was great he loved its stance. Also thanks for your help getting the car on the trailer the extra pair of hands was greatly appreciated!!

The car currently resides at my mechanics, he thinks the engine has seized as he tried to manually turn the crank so is soaking the engine in some magic formula to see if he can get it turning. I have managed to source the correct tyres for the car they are Nangkangs and arrive next week but I wont get them as the tyre dealer is shut for two weeks for the July fortnight "the annual holiday season in Northern Ireland" so Tue 23rd July they will be on the car. The Nangkangs cost £440 for 4 tyres, I had thought of Pirellis but 1 rear was £180 + vat Shock I also cleaned the leather today which came up quite good.

Chris W - we came home via the M6 on Saturday, so apologies for that its how Sat Nav took us I did see your post about meeting up...perhaps another time? Also membership form has been filled out and will be in the post tomorrow morning! Then I can post the whole recovery session saga on the site.
...more to follow
Glad everything went well, must have caused a stir on that road with a BTTF DeLorean and a normal one being there! Fingers crossed for getting the engine un-seized I'm sure he will get it done, time is the answer with that one..., That exhaust looks huge sticking out of the back wonder what the story is with that?
Good luck with the car I'm sure it will be a experience that you will enjoy Smile
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
hi

nice one. i wouls always refurb rather than new, keeps original, saves money etc.

nice purchases..wish i had the funds currently.

i would guess at present it would take alot to sieze a prv engine. Mine had stood 15 year and turned over with fresh oil.
i assume mechanic will crank over without spark to run oil into passageways.

maybe it overheated (if it has siezed or maybe a chain has snapped?), but i would still look at getting the original engine apart to repair/recondition.
but with a D nothing is unfixable/unrestorable or unavailable, everything or equivalent can be done.

i miss my car vin 1621.

so look forward to getting another resto sometime in future...

and my six year old son is too...he already watches bttf once a month or so!!
and took him to Coventry museum to see one!.

good luck

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370