Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean Found from my childhood for sale in my Town
If she needs any help/advice on selling it/finding a buyer the let me know or pass on my details to her. I'm happy to be a go-between if required. However please stress to her NOT to allow anyone to try and start it, no matter how tempting it may seem!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
If it's not been run for 20 years then it's going to need a shed load of money spending on it, Most of the fuel system will need to be replaced/overhauled All the hydraulics will have to be replaced thats all the clutch and braking system, new tyres and the list goes on......... I know as I have just done one thats been sat not used for 14 years in the UK. All do-able but can get expensive if you have to get someone to do the work for you, actually scratch the clutch it looks like an Auto! so g/box computer is probably U/S as well.
The more pics you can get the better, certinally the front of the frame and the rear where engine cradle is. I will have a look through the old records and see if the owner was a club member that number plate rings a bell.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
looks alright from the pics, and for that price id say its worth a punt
....It's amazing isn't it!? Big Grin It's like Raiders of the lost ark.....no wait, scratch that, it's like the mine scene from BTTF III (even better) Big Grin

It's interesting looking at it. Some weird fixings in on the engine cover. Rear Bezel has been cut to accommodate the license plate. The Exhaust pipe ends are dual diameter etc. Seems like there was some private work going on with the car before the door was closed on it for the last time....

...What's the weird grey thing to the left of the engine in the engine bay? After market alarm fitted?

...If I had the space, and the time, I would have liked to have taken a shot at getting this one up and running again....with some help of course.

There are a few people out there looking for a fixer up'r and the price at £10k definitely is about their price range it seems. Might be worth making sure everyone is aware of it before handing it directly to a business person. Give another private individual the chance to fulfill their dream. At that cost, it might just be attainable for those few with a tight budget and in no hurry to get the car back on the road. Think of the fulfillment someone will get working on this car over the years until the time comes that they can finally get her out of the garage for the first drive in over 20yrs! Amazing!

I sure hope she goes to a good home. Chassis looks good, as does the bodywork (minus the atmospheric dust and grit that has accumulated under that cover of the years....)

...any idea what the tape was? The last piece of music that came from the radio?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
looks a gook car, for £10k i would have had that.

the pics are so big, and i'm on mobile internet, so the pics havent loaded up fully, but the grey thing in the engine bay, looks like an eberspacher petrol heater
Is it not a giant old car alarm sounder? also I think the exhaust is a bit of a home made jobby, you can see a bit of flexi pipe where the cat should be going to the silencer. Fuel distributor looks wrong, rear facia has been chopped about between the tail pipes I guess for the home made exhaust, there are bolts in the engine cover where there should not be, perhaps it's broken? Steve says the door is very heavy, torsion bar gone perhaps? I think it's to much money, it probably will sell for that kind of figure but just think about how much your going to have to plough into it just to get it moving let alone a 'good reliable' car. Why not just buy Paul Birks's car thats a black/auto thats in known good order. OK it is different if you can do the work yourself but even then it could be a money pit. None the less be great to see the car back on the road after all these years.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
it might be an alarm, but i cant see it, i can only see about a quater of it, as the pic wont load up fully.

i think £10k for a DIY car is reasonable, like any car, if you are going to pay for someone to build it, then its going to cost more than its worth in the end.

cars are only nuts and bolts, and arnt complicated at all. best thing to do is just get stuck in.
i allready bought a car
£8k sounds like a reasonable offer when the buyer has to factor in that there is literally everything to do on that car.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
i doubt there is 'everything' to do on the car, its not like its been in a smash or in a canal.

I recon a new set of tyres, and service items, and it would be good to go.
lol at canal, can you imagine if that happened.

I think this is a good buy, i would have this if i did not already have one delorean on the go

They become a bit addictive dont they?
Quote:i doubt there is 'everything' to do on the car, its not like its been in a smash or in a canal.

I recon a new set of tyres, and service items, and it would be good to go.
That's a bit optimistic Rob, at the very least the fuel system will have to be gone through, cleaning out the tank and probably replacing the fuel pump boot and cover (that's if the pump will work) Please who ever buys it don't attempt to start it without doing the above! However you may be right, people have just to be aware that's it's not just a case of throwing £500 at it to get it up and running/roadworthy and safe. It can very soon become £5000 and keep going. It helps if you can do the work yourself as this saves a fortune in labour. None the less it is a good investment and with some money and care/attention I'm sure it will be a nice car for someone and it gets another back on the road where it should be.
Chris
P.S to give you an idea of what 'may' be on the car, this is a picture of one of the rear callipers of the one I have just done that was stored in a garage for 14 years. Completely seized /bent piston/and worn sliding pad pin holes. that's as it came off the car, OK this is a really poor example but it was stored in a dry UK garage and to be fair it probably was like this when it went in there though probably not seized! but it gives an idea how bad things can be.
[img][ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND][/img]
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
with the bodywork and interior looking in good condition - save poss rear fasica - I reckon £8500 is a fair
price for that as it WILL need a full mechanical overhaul - one would hope that engine will manually turn over
and has not seized, in addition to brakes, gearbox, fuel system - plus the electrics will need going over with a
fine toothed comb....

If I had the cash and space though, I'd be very tempted!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Rissy Wrote:...any idea what the tape was? The last piece of music that came from the radio?

Its Dire Straits Brothers in Arms!
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
Quote:

Rissy wrote:

...any idea what the tape was? The last piece of music that came from the radio?

Its Dire Straits Brothers in Arms!

Lol Big Grin when CD's first came out all you could get was Dire Straits Brothers in Arms!
I remember it was the same with minidisc.

Great find on the car. I am sure someone will give it a good home.

Regards
Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/