Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean On Ebay UK
stunned_monkey Wrote:That may have been in my article on marine insurance when bringing a car in from the US. Because the only replacement value would be in parts, it'd be fiendishly expensive to insure a DeLorean. It doesn't follow that you could make £140k by breaking one up. A part is only worth something if there's someone ready to buy it - look at the passenger side torsion bar... :wink:

why would it be fiendishly expensive to insure a DeLorean? People do it all the time for the road, so why not at sea? (which is what i presume you are meaning when referring to Marine insurance)

Is it just that only the individual parts are replaceable rather than the insurance companies finding you a new DeLorean? Although if this is the case, then what about the irreplaceable parts? Near side front wing for a start??
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Mine will be coming up for sale shortly.
10 months mot,just been taxed.
It is a project.Mechanically it's sound,but will need the wheels refurbed,facias sprayed,dashboard,binnacle and seat covers.
If anyone is interested please get in contact.
Cheers
Martyn Reed
D.O.C#491
EX Vin# 6064
Rissy Wrote:
stunned_monkey Wrote:why would it be fiendishly expensive to insure a DeLorean? ( when referring to Marine insurance)

Because you have to insure it against its new replacement value. As there's no such thing, you have to go on part value, which would be astronomical.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:
Rissy Wrote:
stunned_monkey Wrote:why would it be fiendishly expensive to insure a DeLorean? ( when referring to Marine insurance)

Because you have to insure it against its new replacement value. As there's no such thing, you have to go on part value, which would be astronomical.

thats pretty much what TGAL told me when I was sorting out shipping #2292 over
ten years ago.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie