Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mulling over the idea of coming back to DMC ownership....
Hi all,

Some of you know me, some not so much. I used to own Maddie and Hana - and recently, more so than usual, I've been hankering after those gullwings again. It comes as a job change and lifestyle change and I'm thinking that after nearly four years of Monaro ownership that it might be time to move on - however, I hadn't bargained on the market being so... "bouyant" regarding DeLoreans.

I'm really after a project (again) - still not loving the crappy PRV (yeah it's my opinion, live with it Wink ) so I may still go small-block chevy. It'll be finding the car that I think might put me off!

I know things have changed now though - what with PJ over here and lots of engine and aftermarket stuff becoming available so I guess I need to do my homework before I start looking - the whole "All DeLoreans are £20k DeLoreans" still stand?

Cheers all!

Dan
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

ayup Dan, go on mate, you know you want to!! :lol:

I guess, depending if you do the work yourself, or get someone else to do it, then the
analagy of the £20k DeLorean is about right.

I'd been toying with the idea of fitting a supercharger, as I'm not keen on turbo's, but then
again I thought to myself, if I want to drive a really fast car, then there are plenty at work
to choose from. A small block V8 would certainly sound nice tho! :wink:

I've come to realise, over the years, that what attracts 'joe public' to DMC's are the way
they look, and the iconic story surrounding them.

Nice to hear from you again Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hey Claire,

Nice to read from you Smile

So whilst things have changed, they're still the same. Good. I still remember most of the gumph from previously - I'm hankering after a LS1 (cheap as chips) or LS2 in one. Have to see if the frame'll break clean in half though :p

Well, I'll keep looking. Too many nice cars out there that can't be butchered Wink

Dan
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

lol, well I think there's still a few project cars lurking over the other side of the pond, but
I dont think theres any such thing as a cheap project car anymore.

Chris N can always fix the frame up for you - and Dave Howarth has got an auto
frame for sale. Has Ed Uding in Holland got a project car he could sell you?
Oh I'm not expecting "cheap" per say - but I'd rather not buy a mint car for £20k then rip the guts out and hack the frame up Tongue

You know - save one, and make it my own.... Ed had a few nice cars, but nothing I'd butcher.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

hi Dan
dont know if this is any good,there is a red DMC12 for sale on e-bay buy it now for $9000 US it is equiped with a 1984 Chevy Vortec 4.3 liter
Hi Dan
How much power are you looking for?? Although I have not put the figures up yet I think mine was 152hp (118 at the wheels) and I suspect there is more to come with a bit more tweeking and a performance exhaust. Although I have been looking into superchargers also but wanted to keep the stock look so that rules this out really (plus the cost!)
Are are you looking for much more than this?

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Yeah, quite a bit more! Lol - my Monaro puts 340hp down at the wheels (440 at the crank) so I figure something near the "normal" 5.7's 250hp at the wheels would be fun. I'm actually more interested in the sound and torque to be honest.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

steve-mac Wrote:hi Dan
dont know if this is any good,there is a red DMC12 for sale on e-bay buy it now for $9000 US it is equiped with a 1984 Chevy Vortec 4.3 liter

Just had a look - it's red and an automatic - the gearbox isn't really a problem but I'd rather not have to restore the body (being an unknown quantity). Still, could be worse!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

gotta admit Dan, I'm a sucker for the noise a V8 makes Smile

Would you source a V8 engine over here or in the states? Might make sense to buy an
engine over there, and have it shipped over in the same container as the car?
I have no real preference - there are some great places in the US to crate-build SBC engines (one is used by Ultima) so the sky is the limit. It's all just an idea at the moment - I may never find the car!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Hi Dan

A Chevvy V8 won't fit, a V6 does (just) and bellhousings are avalable from GTO, as are uprated gearsets.

I've got a project which we can talk about if you'd like to get in touch. I'm more active on the other forum though.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
What about that car in the US that had 2 engines - wasn't it a Honda engine in the front
and a Chevvy in the back? I know it was mental, whatever it was! lol :lol:

V8's sound the mutts nuts compared to V6's Dan, I'd love to see you put one in a De Smile
stunned_monkey Wrote:Hi Dan

A Chevvy V8 won't fit, a V6 does (just) and bellhousings are avalable from GTO, as are uprated gearsets.

I've got a project which we can talk about if you'd like to get in touch. I'm more active on the other forum though.

Why won't a SBC fit? If a Northstar does and an SBC being one of the most compact, I'd be surprised - I assume it's to do with the sump rather than the actual block and heads? That can be remedied with a dry setup easily enough. Oh, and Rover and Lotus V8s fit too! Smile
Dan Willis Wrote:
stunned_monkey Wrote:Hi Dan

Why won't a SBC fit? If a Northstar does and an SBC being one of the most compact, I'd be surprised - I assume it's to do with the sump rather than the actual block and heads? That can be remedied with a dry setup easily enough. Oh, and Rover and Lotus V8s fit too! Smile

mwuhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa - I can see a Dan Willis Special Monster DeLorean ...... :wink: :wink: