Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Drive in Delorean
Tourettes Tony Wrote:nice one dan , Turbo eh ? Big Grin mines back on the road tomorrow a bit happier now i can get the rear wheels spinning Big Grin TT

Eh up !! Good Man !!!

And a nice day weather wise i hope for your extended test run Wink
No I didn't go too far Mike as it had no rear fascia, no numberplates and no tax :wink: Just enough to test it out. Fascia is going on tomorrow though Big Grin
VIN: 6511
bozzzydmc Wrote:
Tourettes Tony Wrote:nice one dan , Turbo eh ? Big Grin mines back on the road tomorrow a bit happier now i can get the rear wheels spinning Big Grin TT

Eh up !! Good Man !!!

And a nice day weather wise i hope for your extended test run Wink

well to be honest its been out a few times but only when it was booked in for an MOT just in case :wink: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
i'm home. i'd like to say that it was uneventful and pleasant but...... will post more later after a cuppa!

A big thanks to Chris Hawes for the advice and support today when the D stopped working (reason still unknown)
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
It was an early start to go and collect the car. I had my bag of breakdown and emergency kit just in case. Car was ready to go at storage place with new MOT cert but then I noticed the indicator bulb was gone. Took ages to get cover off, replace bulb and put cover back on. So I started on my journey home. The car has brakes but not as we know it. Stopping has to be planned ahead well in advance. I followed my GPS towards London on the M11 – the quicker way home but I turned around and went back up M11 to go cross country instead. This added half and hour to my journey but better to breakdown in country side than M25.
Then on that A421 the car started to shudder and all life just faded away, I pulled into the side. Threw on my high vis vest and had the emergency triangle out. All joking aside these items literally were my lifesavers. Called for breakdown help and police arrived 5 mins later to laugh at car. They were sound and helped me push it into siding. I called Chris Hawes who diagnosed the problem – battery or alternator or could be dodgy connection.
Tow truck arrived. Alternator OK and battery OK so he tightened the battery cables, jump started car and followed me for a few miles. He was a very pleasant chap and we had a good laugh about flux capacitors etc and he took a few pictures. He has no idea what the problem was!?!
The last 40 miles home were the longest of my life. Noisy, hot, anxious and slow.

So my opinion of my DMC?
Cabin is noisy – lots of wind noise and engine.
Visibility was actually ok and a lot better than i expected, particularly looking out the back side windows.
I couldn't figure out the air conditioning and I wasn't sure if that was using up the electricity power so i didn't use it. The drive home was hot...very hot.
Radio (craig) didn't work on FM, and only picked up a few am stations.
Cigarette lighter has no power.
Clutch pedal makes an unusual clunk noise before engaging.
My drivers window switch doesn't seem to stop.

Happy to be a D owner? Yeah....

Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
KMC-DMC Wrote:So my opinion of my DMC?
Visibility was actually ok and a lot better than i expected, particularly looking out the back side windows.
I couldn't figure out the air conditioning and I wasn't sure if that was using up the electricity power so i didn't use it. The drive home was hot...very hot.
Radio (craig) didn't work on FM, and only picked up a few am stations.
Cigarette lighter has no power.
Clutch pedal makes an unusual clunk noise before engaging.
My drivers window switch doesn't seem to stop.

Happy to be a D owner? Yeah....

Kevin

Pretty short list that. You've got a good car Big Grin

I'm very glad that it wasn't as hot as it is now over Easter weekend when I did 600 miles in the car with no fan power whatsoever - it was just about bearable. How about your speedo and fuel gauge? Working?

I love the fact that you'll get failed on an MOT for a faded indicator lens yet it's perfectly fine to pass with no idea about how fast you're going or when you'll run out of petrol! Mr Green
VIN 7176
DOC 643
sounds like it need a good run and new leads dizzy cap plugs injector cleaner, mine was a real pig when i started driving it 4 years ago, but i have to say its even worse lol only kidding. it needs to settle down and dont forget its around 27 years old TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
well at least you got home safely. Congrats on your purchase. So is it eurotec for the next drive? Big Grin
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Glad you made it home ok. Sounds like quiet a small list :wink: .
I was lucky the first time I broke down in my D'(Fuel Accumulator).
The chap that came out was the AA's DeLorean expert. He had even recovered a DMC
executive back from Norfolk to Hollyhead for the ferry to Belfast back in the day. The guy had blown the engine 8) .

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
All the guages are erratic. I guesstimate what speed i'm doing. And everything seems to rattle! Over the next couple of weeks i'll give it a good clean and tighten up any loose parts. I got the cassette player working albeit running a bit slow. I have "NOW 14" on tape !
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
just get one of those tape adapters that plug into an ipod, thats what im doing at the moment untill i can figure out wy i have no aierial. Or got a fm transmitter and do it the same way Smile
DOC 527
Vin #10264
KMC-DMC Wrote:All the guages are erratic. I guesstimate what speed i'm doing. And everything seems to rattle! Over the next couple of weeks i'll give it a good clean and tighten up any loose parts. I got the cassette player working albeit running a bit slow. I have "NOW 14" on tape !

Congrats on the purchase and glad it was not too eventful.

NickT

ps I got "NOW" [First Edition] on tape ! Showing my age here....
Nick H Wrote:Glad you made it home ok. Sounds like quiet a small list :wink: .
The chap that came out was the AA's DeLorean expert. He had even recovered a DMC
executive back from Norfolk to Hollyhead for the ferry to Belfast back in the day. The guy had blown the engine 8) .

Nick H
I dont recall going out to any deLorean's (except my own that is!)

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:
Nick H Wrote:Glad you made it home ok. Sounds like quiet a small list :wink: .

Nick H
I dont recall going out to any deLorean's (except my own that is!)

Chris

Hi Chris,
This would have been 6 or 7 years ago. I bet the guys retired by now.
Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Quote:So my opinion of my DMC?

Outer seals OK? Otherwise consider it 'normal'

Quote:I couldn't figure out the air conditioning and I wasn't sure if that was using up the electricity power so i didn't use it. The drive home was hot...very hot.

Air con is slightly more complicated than piloting the space shuttle. The only power it uses is for the blower motor, and engine power when the compressor is running. Ah, air con. Luxury. Try a summer drive without windows either. Now that's hot 8)

Quote:Radio (craig) didn't work on FM, and only picked up a few am stations.

That's a 'feature'. The Craig receives 'Static FM', 'Crackle 1027 AM' and 'Random Buzzing UK' perfectly, all other stations are carefully filtered out with the latest 80's technology.

Quote:Cigarette lighter has no power.

Blown Fuse, Loose Wire, Bad Earth. Remember this mantra, it will serve you well in diagnosing every electrical problem.

Quote:Clutch pedal makes an unusual clunk noise before engaging.

Probably something loose on the pedal mechanism

Quote:My drivers window switch doesn't seem to stop.

Crappy design, remanufactured by Houston in the same crappy design. Probably jamming against the console because it's come unclipped. Or might just need a squirt of WD40.

KMC-DMC Wrote:And everything seems to rattle! Over the next couple of weeks i'll give it a good clean and tighten up any loose parts.

It's designed to be free floating. If you tighten it up, it'll just snap off. :lol: j/k
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.