Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Drive in Delorean
My car (Vin 2969) has been in professional storage since I bought it last year but this weekend I'll take it home.

It had its MOT during the week and passed. One of the front brake calipers gets a bit stuck but the storage company released it before the MOT. Chris at PJ is aware of this problem with the car and this is the next job to do.

So, any advice for a first time delorean driver....driving a DMC 12 with dodgy brakes.

Journey will be from Stansted Airport (storage facility is near there) to Milton keynes. I have a fire extinguisher ready just in case......

Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
take it easy and just keep an eye on the gauges keep to the left as well its a bit wierd first of all but pleasurable in a funny way TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Hi Kevin... well first advice would be dont drive a car with dodgy brakes Wink

Take it easy and make sure you have breakdown cover ... then enjoy the drive ... Smile
As Mike said Kevin, how bad are the brakes?

They could get worse?
One of the front calipers gets a bit stuck. The storage company realised there was a problem becasue the car pulls to the side when braking. They took off the wheel, released the caliper and it passed the MOT with no problem. The brakes need refurbishing but the caliper sticking could be from lack of use.....
I'm just going to drive real slow for the journey home.
I think i have breakdown cover with my insurance and i'll check all that before I go.

I think driving from the left side of the car is my biggest concern.

Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
Honestly driving from the left is really easy ... i have never found it to be a problem ... unless your overtaking then you need to be a bit aware there .... Smile
Mine was pulling pretty hard to the right on braking before- just take it easy and leave
a big gap in front of you. Using the gears can help too!

As for the LHD issue, it's really not too bad. Don't worry about the gearstick being on the right -that's easy. Only thing to watch out for is the width of the car on the passenger side. Some people find it easier to line themselves up with the left side of the road rather than the centre lines. The D is a wide car too- it's fine, just remember which side of you the width is on Big Grin
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Looks like the only north Buckinghamshire based DeLorean is going to suddenly have the most localised fellow DeLorean owner. Kevin is less than 10 minutes drive from me. :wink:
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Hi
as Chris N knows my car, i have had exactly that problem.

i had changed three of the flexible pipes of the brake system because mine had internally collapsed. (the last bit before the wheel)

now i left the last one because the brakes bled ok. All calipers were refurbed and changed all discs and pads.

drove fine for a few miles, then locked up on Chris N. what happens is the pressure is applied and does not release.

then a couple of months ago, started to brake on its own when coming to a red light.

then locked with smoke from one wheel. someone called fire brigade and blocked Wolverhampton ring road.

put into reverse after 10 minutes and freed itself.

since then i took the caliper off and rebuilt again and noticed some crud behind the piston.

i would guess this is happening to your car.

has it the original flexi pipe?. they degrade internally and bits come off to stop the piston returning.

if you drive take it very steady, and get ready to hand brake (but the handbrake is notoriously poor!)

hope this helps.

Regards

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
As others have said, just take it easy and remember there will be a car in your blind spot on the motorway checking the D' out.
The LHD is not a issue. You will find after half an hour driving you will not notice any diffrence.

Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
talking of brakes everyone should change brake lines to new or braided, i wouldnt drive a car with 27 odd year hoses thats my advice TT Shock
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Thanks all for the words of advice. If you hear of a delorean stranded on a road anywhere between cambridge and milton keynes that'll be me :-)

I'll report back tomorrow evening on my drive.

Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
Hi Kevin the only thing i can add to this is if in doubt flat out (collin mcrae) OH BUGGER HE'S DEAD.
drive carefully.I dont know about everyone eles but everytime i get in hana it's like driving her for the first time.
all the best Tyson
I drove mine today for the first time since november and it was like driving it for the first time. I forgot how slow it is :wink: :lol:
VIN: 6511
nice one dan , Turbo eh ? Big Grin mines back on the road tomorrow a bit happier now i can get the rear wheels spinning Big Grin TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor