Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean buying / tuning advice
Brilliant well done. I hope it works out ok for you. You must keep us posted on the progress.
VIN: 6511
hey, well done mate!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Jeez, that didnt take long eh!! And theres me and Dan thinking we'd put you off at the NEC lol :lol:

Speak to a company called Transglobal Auto Logistics (TGAL), they are brilliant and have imported
loads of De's including mine.

If you can hang on until tonight, I'll get their contact details out of Flopsy's file of paperwork for you.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Congratulations on your purchase! I did skim through the eBay ad, but there was no obvious points to confirm a serious issue with the car - it's going to be a case of 'wait and see'.

In terms of shipping - TGAL or Schumacher Cargo are both fine - just make sure to hammer home the point about the import duty waiver. Save paying 10% tax. There should be a posting on this forum somewhere, otherwise it'll be in the News section of the PJ Grady website as a 'How To'.

I'll happily help you with the import process if you need it - I'm importing a couple of others anyway - so it's all fresh in my mind. It would be better if your transporter can ship to Thamesport in Kent. It'll be cheaper than transporting from Southampton. Schumacher definately use Thamesport - TGAL I'm not sure

Congratulations - always good to see more DeLoreans coming to the UK - and in the 'South' as well!!!!

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:It would be better if your transporter can ship to Thamesport in Kent. It'll be cheaper than transporting from Southampton. Schumacher definately use Thamesport - TGAL I'm not sure
Darren

TGAL shipped Flopsy from Long Beach California (having arranged to pick her up from San Diego first as a non runner)
and she went in a container to Thamesport. She was then sent to Tilbury for 'de-vanning' and I
picked her up from there - easier for me, as I didnt have to worry about the Dartford Crossing Big Grin

The hardest bit for me (apart from stumping up the cash) was waiting 8 weeks for the car to
reach the UK ! lol
Claire Usher Wrote:The hardest bit for me (apart from stumping up the cash) was waiting 8 weeks for the car to
reach the UK ! lol

LOL... tell me about it ... I had so many visions of what could go wrong in that time... including the ship sinking Smile

Thankfully Ive not heard of any problems on that scale ! Smile
bozzzydmc Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:The hardest bit for me (apart from stumping up the cash) was waiting 8 weeks for the car to
reach the UK ! lol

LOL... tell me about it ... I had so many visions of what could go wrong in that time... including the ship sinking Smile

Thankfully Ive not heard of any problems on that scale ! Smile

haha yeah, I'd forgotten about that.

I was told that marine insurance isnt worth the paper its written on.
Thanks all for the good wishes! I've called up both Schumacher ($1200 shipping, $650 michigan-NY) and TGAL (awaiting quote), but it seems that TGAL only do RO/RO to Southampton. That wouldn't be the end of the world if it's much cheaper - I can borrow/hire a trailer and tow the car up myself (after a quick drive around the car park of course :lol: ).

Apparently it might even be as quick as 30 days once I book it in so might even have it back over here for Xmas - woohoo!

Now got to sort out how to pay for the thing...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
When I went to holland the other month, Glen tried to convince me that the ferry would sink on the way home because it was cheap lol.

I see the astra has been added to your list claire. Have you picked it up yet?
VIN: 6511
$1200 shipping sounds a bit light....I think that quote is literally boat only, so there'll be another £450 of UK port authority fees when the boat gets here.
If you do go with Schumachers - speak to Ian Jeffries at the UK branch (01449 723576). All in price including all port costs is closer to £1,100 - but well worth it as filling in forms yourself is a real pain....and these guys have the relationships with the port officers that speed things along.

Just make sure you pick up the right car at the docks - as they all look the same! Don't take mine!

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
LOL... tell me about it Wink

[Image: DSC00003DesktopResolution.jpg]
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:$1200 shipping sounds a bit light....I think that quote is literally boat only, so there'll be another £450 of UK port authority fees when the boat gets here.
If you do go with Schumachers - speak to Ian Jeffries at the UK branch (01449 723576). All in price including all port costs is closer to £1,100 - but well worth it as filling in forms yourself is a real pain....and these guys have the relationships with the port officers that speed things along.

Good advice - thanks. I spoke to a British guy called Warren in the States and he said he'd just been dealing with a Delorean and got a bit confused so I assume that was yours...

PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:Just make sure you pick up the right car at the docks - as they all look the same! Don't take mine!

Why? Is yours better?! :lol:
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Congratulations on your purchase mate.

Hope your shipping and everything goes ok, and that you will be living the dream by spring Smile

Ben
hi

yes as stated use a clearance agent to deal with the paperwork.

i used to pay about £25, and pay them all the vat etc.

they then pay customs.

make sure you get that all important us dereg document, and a bill of sale.

get them sent recorded/registered whichever is the safest, and not normally in the car!.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Dan1986 Wrote:I see the astra has been added to your list claire. Have you picked it up yet?

got the spondoolies out of the hole in the wall last night, and we're going down to Dunstable
tonight to fetch it. Big Grin

Just gotta think of a name for it now........... :wink:
jerzybondov Wrote:Well, just won the auction for $9,600 so I guess it's a little academic now! Thanks for the advice guys- hopefully at this price it won't be the end of the world if I need to spend a bit extra on getting it sorted...

Aaaagh- what have I done?! Excited, scared... will ask him about how he did the job on the front of the car...

Great work Gez mate!Big Grin Didn't know it was you to start with (looking at the username!)! Im sure it will all work out in the end but yeah the whole rust thing sounds a bit worrying but, from the photos, it all 'looked' in good condition! Only time will tell now I guess! Seriously chuffed for you mate! Big Grin
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk