Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean buying / tuning advice
I'm a brand new member to the DOC, despite having had an (un)healthy interest in Deloreans for several years. I am still essentially a newbie, so please forgive any basic errors or stupid questions I ask!

The reason why I've only just joined is that I have now have access to a large garage and the feasibility of actually keeping one is much improved. As such I'm seriously considering importing one into the country, but doing it in one of two ways:
1) Bringing over a mint car
2) Bringing over a project

The exchange rate makes (1) less of a viable option at the moment, and I'm also considering doing some fairly substantial modifications to the car, so (2) may actually work out a better option as I'm not too fussed about having it on the road immediately.

So my questions are broadly based around two areas: engine and driveability.

It would seem to me that it's fairly simple to de-cat a US spec car and return it to JZD's vision of what the PRV engine should provide - 170bhp or so, for under a grand. What is actually changed on the engine to do this? Spark plugs? Fuel injection system, timing?

Beyond this point, I've read some stuff about changing the cams and exhaust as being an excellent modification. Am I right in thinking cams can be had for £400ish? What exhaust options are there? What could this be expected to add power-wise to the previous modifications (or would they indeed be included in getting the car to 170bhp)

Beyond this point it seems that turbocharging is the next place to go. Does this, broadly speaking, mean the whole engine gets a serious looking at? i.e. Would there be a significant difference in the amount of time/cost involved if you wanted to do this to a non-runner as opposed to a runner? i.e. (2!) If I'm going to turbocharge a car, should you save yourself the cost of buying a car with a nice running engine and simply get a cheap non-runner and use the parts from that...

Driveability wise, are there modern shocks / springs that can be fitted that improve handling (beyond just euro-heighting at the front)? Is a strut bar a worthy addition, and where does it get attached? Can you get hold of uprated disk brakes?

The other, final, question I have is this - do these kind of modifications add/do nothing/detract from the value of the vehicle, as whilst to some eyes they may be improvements, to others they are heinous deviations from stock...? I guess it depends on the size of the market over here for the cars, and whether a greater proportion of that market values unmolested (even if to their detriment) cars.

Thanks all! Looking forward to sticking a VIN number in the sig before too long :-)
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Hi - lots of questions!

Here's some of my thoughts...roughly in the order of your questions!

1) If you're going to havily modify a car - there's no point in paying the premium for a mint example.

2) The GBPUSD rate is not good right now, so I'd suggest looking at any cars for sale in the UK (maybe someone in the DOC is thinking of selling?). I've just bought a car from the US, and with the exchange rate fluctuations - the cost was rising by almost $1000 a day....not good.

3) Unless you are a mechanic or have very deep pockets and bags of patience - I'd suggest getting a car that is at least running. It's easier to restore and improve than it is to buy everything from scratch and try to get a car going after years of non-use.

4) I'm not a fan of engine mods, but others on the forum can probably contribute here. Will basically involve replacing DeLorean parts for Volvo parts and playing with fuel mixtures, etc....not the sort of thing you can do yourself unless you're a mechanic/engineer/that way inclined.

5) Exhausts (stainless and decatted) are good - but cost a lot (~£1000). Pistons (from Volvo) are available but need expertise in order to rebuild the engine with the new parts.

6) Turbo charging - not much avalable in terms of bolt on turbo kits for DeLoreans. Martin G has done a few engine swap overs, replacing the DeLorean engine with a turbo Renault engine. I don't know what the cost/gain is in doing this...or if he still does them...but it's maybe an option. Maybe others can comment?

7) Shocks, brakes, springs, etc all available. Strut bars are a useful addition - gets attached to shock towers and lives within the hood compartment.

8) In terms of value added/lost - nothing. A turbo charged fully modified car (in my experience) is harder to sell. Not because it's worse than a stock car. However most people willing to pay ~£20k for a car seem to want originality.

9) What kind of budget are you working towards for this? I'd estimate that to get an OK working car, with new exhaust, some engine mods, etc - you're going to be close to £18k...and more still if you start paying out on labour for swapping out pistons, etc.

Hope this helps - good luck finding the car for you...

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Hiya,

welcome to the DOC Big Grin

There is a wealth of people on here with 'tuned' cars, from setups as simple as just de-catting
to others that have had thousands of pounds worth of engine work, with, it may seem,
varying degrees of sucess.

The best people to speak to on here are RichH and NickT, as they have wealth of technical
know how.

I can also, from personal experience, recommend PJ Grady Europe (Chris and Darren).

There are replacement shocks available for the DeLorean and we have a deal with a supplier
(see parts x-ref section I think).

Upgraded brakes are also available, speak to Dan Shane about those, as he knows about stopping
fast Deloreans! Smile

If you can, get yourself to the NEC this weekend, as the membership will be there in force, plus
there will be a few cars for you to look at as well as plenty of people to give you tips and advice.

I bought my car from the USA as a project car in 2002, when the exchange rate was similar
to what it is now - at the time, my car was $2865 USD, but whether you'd get a project that
cheap nowadays is debateable.

Good luck, and hope to see you soon,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
You might want to take a ride/drive in one before deciding about upgrading the engine etc, you might just change your mind.

Whereabouts are you?, there may be an owner nearby?

My personal opinion is I dont see the point in putting in a 300bhp engine, its a heavy car, whilst straight lines might be ok....taking corners would be interesting, at best you would need to seriously modify the suspension, via triangulation or other, If you want to go very quickly then dont buy a DeLorean!

I would highly recommend you speak to PJ Grady Europe who can assist with getting you a car.
Welcome to our little forum Wink

My 2p worth....

A properly running D, even in stock form, is no slouch... and runs a hell of a lot better with the CAT taken off .

The biggest improvement on mine was a new exhaust coupled with valve adjustments and a tune up with the mixture set to a Volvo spec. At this time all the fuel pressures were checked to ensure this was up to spec, spray pattern on the injectors checked etc. Simple things like plugs, leads and filters need to be in good order...

There are many other things to consider, brakes and suspension etc, but at the end of the day if you want to serriously modify a D maybe stick with one that needs work in the first place it would be a shame to chop about a nice running car.

If your ever in my neck of the woods your welcome to take a ride out with me to see what you think.

Regards

Mike
Firstly, thanks for all the great advice!

I'm not dead set on modding a D to absurdity - I'm just interested in what the options are as this may well affect the decisions I make about what car to get. I don't think I'll leave it completely stock (euro height front springs and de-catting are the only things I would definitely do) but beyond that I'm not really decided.

It absolutely doesn't have to be a 300bhp monster, and I think tbh whatever I do to it, my Mini (04 MCS, 220bhp) will have it licked when you show it a corner :-)
But I think there is potential with the Delorean to hit an optimal power/handling point which is perhaps closer to how the car was originally envisaged, and that's I think where I'd want to get it to (within reasonable expense).

Claire - are you talking about the Classic Car show that's on at the NEC this weekend? I might well make the trip up (I'm in London).

Darren - as for budget, yes I was reckoning on spending upwards of £15k one way or another, kind of depends on what I end up doing to the car. If you get a good one, or make a bad one good, it's not like they're going to depreciate on you :-)

Alistair - I did drive one a few years back. It felt a bit like the A-reg Volvo 360GLS I learnt to drive in Big Grin I think it was David Sexton's car at the time (is he still a DOC member?). I think it had been de-catted but it felt to me like it could do with a bit more ooomph. It was recently imported and I don't know how well the engine was running though.

Mike - thanks for the offer, although I'm unfortunately a few hundred miles away! Would you say that you are running a similar spec to how the Volvo PRV engines went out (in Europe) with what you've done to yours?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
bozzzydmc Wrote:Welcome to our little forum Wink

My 2p worth....

A properly running D, even in stock form, is no slouch... and runs a hell of a lot better with the CAT taken off .

The biggest improvement on mine was a new exhaust coupled with valve adjustments and a tune up with the mixture set to a Volvo spec. At this time all the fuel pressures were checked to ensure this was up to spec, spray pattern on the injectors checked etc. Simple things like plugs, leads and filters need to be in good order...

There are many other things to consider, brakes and suspension etc, but at the end of the day if you want to serriously modify a D maybe stick with one that needs work in the first place it would be a shame to chop about a nice running car.

If your ever in my neck of the woods your welcome to take a ride out with me to see what you think.

Regards

Mike

As what Mike said.
We did his and my valve clearances and they were well slack causing a slight ticking.
Just adjusting this makes the engine run a lot better alone !
Left handed mike did the left hand side of the engine, right handed nick did the right hand side !

I am of the opinion that the car looks great as it is so it shouldn't need any "visual" mods, but I did change the stereo to a better one. Each one to thier own on that score.

A common conversion is to put the euro springs on the front and I recommend this as it makes the handling a lot better.

I recommend a good big powerful big battery and alternator. This sorts most electrical problems out.

As far as performance is concerned I have just set mine up to stock with a de-cat and it is great.
I have a BAE Turbo when (time permitting) I will fit but I see this as a period mod of the time.

Welcome to the club and good luck getting the car that YOU want Big Grin

NickT
no turbos we dont want too many :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Thanks Nick. Yes, I think I'll be steering clear of the visual mods. Aside from the front springs, absolutely no need. And I think I'll be changing the stereo too, my tape collection got thrown away a decade ago Big Grin

Tony, what kind of turbo have you got on yours? Is it a natively turbocharged PRV engine, or have you bolted on your own?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
im normally aspirated at the mo mate, my other engine is in the process of a rebuild. The difference between a full volvo set up (including engine) and my turbo running at 3.5 psi is really noticable especially the mid range. The original BAE kit had a Garrett Rajay which i had rebuilt, most people know about this Cry decided to burn oil so i had it rebuilt which made it worse. I now have a T2 off a sierra cosworth which with modification will fit on the rajay flange so basically im ready to go as soon as the T + T runs out on the de to change engine back and put it all back on Big Grin
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
jerzybondov Wrote:Thanks Nick. Yes, I think I'll be steering clear of the visual mods. Aside from the front springs, absolutely no need. And I think I'll be changing the stereo too, my tape collection got thrown away a decade ago Big Grin

Tony, what kind of turbo have you got on yours? Is it a natively turbocharged PRV engine, or have you bolted on your own?

How much are you looking to spend on a car btw?

There is this one on ebay in Wakefield (local to me) and I can have a look at it for you.
Item no. 380075075086

If you live down South then I would recommend a visit to PJ Gradys down in Essex and you can have a look at the different examples. You will get a stunning looking car from them. Chris Nicholson does superb stainless work.

NickT.
Hi Nick,

To be honest, I'm flexible on how much to spend on a car providing it's the right one. Thanks for offering to look at that one for me - very generous! However I'm after a manual so that's probably not the D for me.

Making plans to come to the NEC on Saturday. Will there be anyone there in particular who I'd be well advised to chat to?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Have a chat with other owners and listen to thier experiences with owning a DeLorean and also to get to know this mad bunch.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get to the NEC this year as I am working like mad until Christmas as well as being on call.

I am sure Chris and Darren from PJ will be there to help you out on sourcing a car.

People on here will try and answer your questions so if you have any just ask away.

Good luck Big Grin

NickT.
OK then... here's one to be getting stuck into! -

[post edited due to previous car being removed - below is new]

How does this one look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Tru ... t_1249wt_0

Still a moderate amount to do to the car, as mentioned in the ad but how does that underbody look? Does it look like it's had some repairs or is that just me?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I've seen worse (my car! lol) and tbh, that isnt too bad, its mostly costmetics it seems, but its all the
expensive cosmetics, like seat covers, binnacle and interior panels. There are body repairs too,
but Chris and Darren can advise on things like that.

Its worth bearing in mind that in the club there are usually lots of spares about, Dave Howarth,
the Club President has a huge stock of spares and is always worth trying if you need a particular
part.

With the current exchange rate, and adding on about 30% to cover shipping and taxes, that car will be
less then £7000 to your door - but reckon on spending several thousands bringing it up to scratch.

I think you need to bear in mind, that a good LHD is about £15-19k these days, so when costing
up a project car always ensure that you're restoration costs dont go over what it would be worth
if you had to sell it.

I was lucky, I bought my car very cheap, and to this day, it probably owes me just under £10k.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie