Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean buying / tuning advice
Small update on 7176 - the Hoegh Traveller 250 has been delayed a couple of days leaving Baltimore so it'll be Jan 13th before I get my grubby mitts on it, but it hasn't stopped me being busy with the credit card.

I've now ordered UK spec headlights, euro-height springs, Don's stainless steel exhaust, a new set of Spax shocks all round, and the front strut bar from DMC Midwest. Will be giving a with/without review once it's all put together!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Make sure you give the car a good run before you change the shocks etc over so that you can tell easily between the before and after effect.

Also, why not try one of those strut braces across the shock towers they are great. Peter Kutchen started it in the states and now Ed Uding sells one too...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris Hawes Wrote:Also, why not try one of those strut braces across the shock towers they are great. Peter Kutchen started it in the states and now Ed Uding sells one too...

It's Peter Kutchen's brace that I've got my hands on - you can only buy them from DMC Midwest now... I read all the rave reviews on DMCtalk and thought I needed to get my hands on one. Have any UK owners out there got one? I know Alistair McCann put one on Pilot 25, wasn't sure how many others had gone for it...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
jerzybondov Wrote:
Chris Hawes Wrote:Also, why not try one of those strut braces across the shock towers they are great. Peter Kutchen started it in the states and now Ed Uding sells one too...

It's Peter Kutchen's brace that I've got my hands on - you can only buy them from DMC Midwest now... I read all the rave reviews on DMCtalk and thought I needed to get my hands on one. Have any UK owners out there got one? I know Alistair McCann put one on Pilot 25, wasn't sure how many others had gone for it...

I have one fitted, but am unsure as to how much difference it makes. I'm sure it's a great product but I made the mistake of changing my springs/shocks/bushes Etc Etc all over last winter and fitted the strut brace at the same time. So it was difficult to judge the difference as it went on as part of a 'package' The only thing I did find that was if you got the thing to tight the body tub creaked and groaned a bit!!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
The question is did you notice a difference when the whole package went on? I'd hope so...!

Did you also find you had to play around with the shock settings a bit to get them right?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I have Peter's brace on mine and yes, you can feel the front end being tighter.
My suspension/bushes are original except for Chrispy's front lowered euro springs...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
jerzybondov Wrote:The question is did you notice a difference when the whole package went on? I'd hope so...!

Did you also find you had to play around with the shock settings a bit to get them right?

Without a dobut the car is MUCH better, but it's difficult to pin point to one thing, was it the 25 year old shocks or the worn out bushes. Really I should have done everything a bit at a time to tell. I think one of the best bits of kit is the poly bushes from DPNW for the sway bar (mike B did a posting on this) stops the lower arms moving about under there own free will! The shocks are set about mid way on there adjustment. At the end of the day this was partly to improve the handling, but also to replace saftey items like bushes and 25 year old rubber flexible brake lines Shock for nice new S/S ones
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
sway bar (american) = anti-roll bar (english)