Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter problems
Hey Barson,

Sorry, I wasn't being very specific there! :oops:

What I meant was, there was a mix of water/fuel in that hole in the black rubber casing, should it be as far up as that? I've taken a pic just now (see below).

Thanks for the great tips matey. Smile

[Image: IMG_2975.jpg][/img]

Kind regards
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
Hi Alistair,

Well, my car has sat for a considerable amount of time between previous owners, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if the connectors aren't making the right contact.

Bit surprised about the fuel pump itself though, as the previous owner purchased a new one in 2003? Not sure how much life they have, but if the car stood for most of that time then it's possible it's on the way out.

Besides, I'm sure I have heard other owners say they usually carry a spare fuel pump "just in case" !

Cheers for your help bud.

Kind regards
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
hi

the top of the pump looks abit worse for wear there. Sad

Do you have a rubber boot that fits over the pump where you're viewing it from

something like this:

[Image: IMG_1214.jpg]

if there isn't one, then that might explain the rust and the intermittent connection and the liquid build up.
If there's fuel collecting in the boot as you look down the side of the fuel pump, then it could be that the metal clip holding the fuel pump securly to the boot is not as tight as it should be (this is the clip that's around the boot - you'll be able to see it if you lift the boot and pump out of the tank). on the other hand it could be that your bango fittings are leaking (but i haven't heard of an instance of this - anyone else?)

If that was mine, I'd replace the connectors on the wires, fuel pump, bango fittings and flexible hoses (and pick up filter). Smile
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
Re-make the electrical connectors to the fuel pump as what Barson suggests.

Ideally battery voltage should be 12.5v.

With key in position 2, fuel pump relay should run the fuel pump to prime the system. Once done start engine without touching the accelerator.

Regards,

NickT.
could you hear the pump running when ya had the problem is the relays clicking and no pump noise
that looks like that pump needs changing that dont look like its been changed in a while
i changed my battery and alternator and starter and fuel pump about a few weeks into geting mine its been fine ever scince

i had that problem

go out in morning starts fine come back its fine but when you go out about 5 mins after a run slow or no starting like the batterys gone flat
or constant turning over but no fireing
could be lots of things the only thing still needs changing on mine is the fuel accumalator but thats a job for p js

do check all connections also that dont help if ya got bad earths or loose wires everywere best to check everything
i stil keep finding things with mine
there propper strange motors
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
YOUR MUMMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!!!.....
Thanks guys,

Well by the looks/sounds of it I might as well get the whole kit now and replace all those worn originals in one go. My car didn't even have the rubber boot and I can already see how crucial that part is! Shock

Time to call PJ Grady! Big Grin

Cheers
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
yeah call p j gray or go deloreans direct for your bits either way it gott to be done

those damn old bits

time to renew them all go for it....... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
YOUR MUMMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!!!.....