Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new turbo purchase
NickT Wrote:The system pressure tolerance is between 4.5 and 5.2 Bar by the primary pressure regulator. Maybe upping the pressure from the standard 4.7 to 5.2 would give better fuelling at higher revs/ on boost.

NickT

Yep, but the trade off it poorer fueling off boost, but 'maybe' the lambda system can cope with this, maybe not (as its a narrowband system)

This is why the RS Turbos/Audi's run the actuator that increases the pressure only on boost.

On R5 Turbo 2's (rear engined - again run the same K-Jet system) some have upgraded to an Audi 5 cylinder K-Jet system - 4 injectors in the normal position, the 5th before the turbo, and on a switchable valve, so when they want extra enrichment (and chargecooling as squirting fuel and an air mix before the turbo actually cools the charge) the 5th injector is activated.
NickT Wrote:The static timing on the D is 13 BTDC so maybe retarding it to 7 BTDC would be a safer starting point.

Might not idle too well though. Hence why the MSD unit I mentioned earlier is the perfect remedy for this application.
Is this MSD unit compatible with the odd fire type of engine with the distributor?

NickT
i admit i know next to nothing about turbo's.

would it be possible to add a solenoid in the air intake which on boost mehanicaly moves the metering flap downward?.

would this increase the amount of fuel to the injectors?.

sorry if i'm talking c**P.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
NickT Wrote:Is this MSD unit compatible with the odd fire type of engine with the distributor?

NickT

Ah, your right, keep forgetting your engines are oddfire.

In that case, MSD do a unit specifically for oddfire V6's which has an adjustable timing curve. You can set it to retard instead of advance at anything above 100kpa (ie atmospheric)

Not as nice as the other MSD which you can choose different amounts for different boost levels with the adjustable knob, but in use, no different as you can tell the MSD to run say 7 degrees of retardation (or any amount up to 20) at any positive boost pressure.

IIRC its the MSD 6A (Oddfire version)

So basically, lock the bob weights, retard the base timing on the dizzy, and set up a completely new timing curve to your own desires on the MSD unit.
Sounds like an ideal solution. Where would I get one of these in the UK?

Is the unit a programmable unit requiring a laptop, set by dip switches or a manual dial?

NickT
NickT Wrote:Sounds like an ideal solution. Where would I get one of these in the UK?

Is the unit a programmable unit requiring a laptop, set by dip switches or a manual dial?

NickT

I reckon you might find you have to source the oddfire version from the US as I doubt many UK distributors would have it. Its used quite alot on the Buick V6 4.3l Turbo engines.

Have a look on the MSD website for full info.
Uploaded the BAE Instruction manual for the DeLorean:

obtained from:

http://www.buffalochips.org/delorean/BA ... ctions.pdf

located at:

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/technical/turbo/

I have also uploaded some pics of my project that I may get round to in 2009 !

NickT
yeah what he said :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Shock Shock Shock Shock
tom
vin 7155
DOC372
well i for once have a rough idea Shock TT

and anyway i should i have the kit on mine :lol:
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
I think we'll all agree, its nice to have a contributor on here who
knows PRV engines and the pro's and con's of turboing them - even
for someone like me who *kinda* gets how things work, but never