The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: new turbo purchase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi

gone a bit mad, even though mine is not yet mot'd, bought that BAE turbo advertised on the site by Tim.

Picked it up today and looks in great nick.

does anyone know the actual boost and 0-60's with th BAE?.

any tips on fitting, ie new plugs? and can it run ok with the old ones.

i'd guess a timing change?.

how many BAE powered cars are in the UK?.
i have been messing around with mine for a while and the main things that need doing are, fueling, timing and a max boost of around 7psi any more and it will go bang and pop out the injectors.
I have a good friend who has a massive amount of experience in turbo charging cars, and he owes me a favour he said all along, give it to me and i will do it, so when hes ready im dropping it off, and if that dont work i give up Cry TT

bozzzydmc

There is an 'installation' manual for this kit ... ask NickT nicely for it as i cant seem to find it on my Hard drive atm. :lol:

Well done on getting this btw .
When fitted my last year sucked pipes in blue them of.When got that fixed went well for a year Now when you excellerate it pinks of 30 seconds try ed ever think but will keep trying.
zippy Wrote:When fitted my last year sucked pipes in blue them of.When got that fixed went well for a year Now when you excellerate it pinks of 30 seconds try ed ever think but will keep trying.

Does this BAE kit not come with a boost retard module? If not you need something like an MSD 6BTM, so you can dial in how many degrees ignition retard for every pound of boost run..
it comes with a hobbs switch to turn of the lambda when on boost, hence why the kits had a bad write up. I have the volvo gear so i can do away with it. That boost retard module sounds interesting david have you any more details Tony TT
Tourettes Tony Wrote:it comes with a hobbs switch to turn of the lambda when on boost, hence why the kits had a bad write up. I have the volvo gear so i can do away with it. That boost retard module sounds interesting david have you any more details Tony TT

OMG no wonder its crap. Yes, just do a google search. Its just an adjustable ignition coil unit, with a built in pressure sensor to monitor manifold pressure and then can retard ignition against boost.

If the cars knocking that easily its not going to be fueling related. You can run an engine very lean with retarded ignition with no pinking. Its too much advance that does the damage.

All turbo conversions use some kind of boost retard module. Even a Renault 5 Turbo runs an adjustable coil with a pressure sensitive vacuum capsule which retard on boost as its a carburettored setup no no ecu to adjust anything.

Ive just been completing a supercharged Pug 106 which came in for a few odds and sods and an Adaptronic ecu, but this had an MSD unit on it too to start with , with the standard ECU.
Hi

as far as i know, need to look at the bits but no retard module.

why would this be needed (forgive my ignorance on turbo's!).

do you not just retard the timing a bit?.

use a better fuel 97 ron?.

is the lamda meant to cut out at boost?, or does the ecu kick in and adjust things etc maybe i'm taliking gibberish?.

i did not think the BAE came with anything else?.

have the manifold, turbo etc, single exhaust all in great condition.
steve.s Wrote:Hi

as far as i know, need to look at the bits but no retard module.

why would this be needed (forgive my ignorance on turbo's!).

do you not just retard the timing a bit?.

use a better fuel 97 ron?.

is the lamda meant to cut out at boost?, or does the ecu kick in and adjust things etc maybe i'm taliking gibberish?.

i did not think the BAE came with anything else?.

have the manifold, turbo etc, single exhaust all in great condition.

Yes, you could retard the overall timing, but this may not be enough, and would be detrimental to off boost performance.

You might need to run 7-10 degrees retard on boost for example

Run Super Unleaded at a minimum.
mine runs at 8 retarded instead of 13 and its ok when half warm, when its hot it pinks slightly, your right in saying about more boost more retard, but the fueling can be a problem as well, i run my cpr for fueling but im not so sure its enough, maybe a second stage on the cold start valve may do it TT
Tourettes Tony Wrote:mine runs at 8 retarded instead of 13 and its ok when half warm, when its hot it pinks slightly, your right in saying about more boost more retard, but the fueling can be a problem as well, i run my cpr for fueling but im not so sure its enough, maybe a second stage on the cold start valve may do it TT

Yep, though you may find if you pull another couple of degrees it won't knock at all, even when warm. On some cars not only do they run richer when cold, but also run more retarded to warm the engine up quicker, so it might be that..Im not particulary au fait with the K-Jet system.

Does the fuel pressure regulator actually increase fuel pressure on boost?
What fuel pressure at the injectors does the system run?
well david i think off the top of my head its about 4.8 max and the volvo runs 5.2 ish Nick t knows more than me, im not sure if you have heard of RS automotive in shoebury but paul the owner used to build rs200 replicas, and was heavily into all the cosworth series cars, he did have a fiesta rs turbo in the nineties that ran 25psi and 3 cold start injectors on boost :lol: mad git TT
Tourettes Tony Wrote:well david i think off the top of my head its about 4.8 max and the volvo runs 5.2 ish Nick t knows more than me, im not sure if you have heard of RS automotive in shoebury but paul the owner used to build rs200 replicas, and was heavily into all the cosworth series cars, he did have a fiesta rs turbo in the nineties that ran 25psi and 3 cold start injectors on boost :lol: mad git TT

Well this is the issue. If the K-Jet system actually needs say 5 bar of fuel pressure to actually operate correctly, then the problem with running boost, is the positive inlet pressure from the turbo in the manifold is actually putting pressure against the fuel coming out of the injectors. Hence why on turbo installations you have a rising rate regulator that increases fuel pressure in accordance to boost. Ie, on an EFI car, it runs 3 bar at atmospheric, and then at a bar of boost, 4 bar fuel pressure. If it doesnt it runs lean and the fuel doesnt atomise properly either. This could be the issue on the Delorean if there is no pressurised enrichment on boost. It doesnt matter much if you 'widen' the injector pulse either, the fuel flow is still being restricted.

Lol, long gone are the days of extra injectors etc. Correct sized injectors and proper management is where its at. A friend of mine has just bought the rear subframe from an RS Automotive R200 rep with YB running gear and fitted it into the back of his Renault 5 :lol:
Hi

would running the CPR actually do anything?. does it not just affect the cold pressure?.

does this not drop the pressure slightly?.

would a cold start valve shot be a bit of a guess?

and would you pulse a 5 second, or more or less?.
there are a lot of issues with these set ups, mine uses a hobbs switch to shut off the lamda and at the same time open up the bottom of the cpr to richen the mixture, its only the delorean set up which allows this because of how lean they run, the volvo doesn't have the same cpr. Now in the real world you wouldn't bother and take the kit off, but i wont give up yet and i have already seen 5000rpm in top and better mid range out of my car, i am also sure Tony Lawthers car being rhd, is running volvo gear so maybe this is the answer TT
Pages: 1 2 3