http://tinyurl.com/284ree

Big Grin

Dan
Big Grin
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
I hope you dont mind me saying this but I think you paid a little over the odds IMHO.

I bought a running GTA Turbo engine for £250 and a Gearbox for £50 and both of them hadnt been in a car that Jeremy Clarkson slammed into a concrete wall at 70 MPH.

I just hope it's all ok and that you get it working with the minimum of fuss and funds.

All the best and I'm looking forward to seeing it at Eurotech next year.

Dan
I have had problems with Ebay not being responsive, so I clicked my final proxy amount sooner than planned which unfortunately gave enough time for a competitor to increase his bids (a few seconds cost me around £1300). His higest bid was £66 less than mine and I am sure he would have gone higher (I wouldn't have).

I know I paid over the odds, but the pistons inside the block are worth £1000 on their own and Renault no longer sell them. Any other damage can be replaced. For me, it was important to have the best production PRV ever built as a basis for my conversion as it is/was an established platform to work from. This model is a 3L 12V low compression engine and PERFECT for supercharging or turbo(s). I would have considered the 24V but they had an inherent weakness in the design and VERY expensive to put right. I also like the story that surrounds this particular engine i.e. it was from a 55k mile concours car that Clarkson smashed up (muppet).

As the ECU will be another £600 plus the many other bits that I'll need plus the time it will take to put together and map etc I'll be surprised if I have the money to start the conversion before Eurotec. At least I have the engine, ready and waiting....
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
well that makes a change Martin rubbing people up the wrong way :lol:
TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
yeah, I read that :lol: :lol: :lol:

some things never change, eh!!

I often catch up with the Alpine forum, it can be very entertaining at times Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Chris Hawes Wrote:I have had problems with Ebay not being responsive, so I clicked my final proxy amount sooner than planned which unfortunately gave enough time for a competitor to increase his bids (a few seconds cost me around £1300). His higest bid was £66 less than mine and I am sure he would have gone higher (I wouldn't have).

I know I paid over the odds, but the pistons inside the block are worth £1000 on their own and Renault no longer sell them. Any other damage can be replaced. For me, it was important to have the best production PRV ever built as a basis for my conversion as it is/was an established platform to work from. This model is a 3L 12V low compression engine and PERFECT for supercharging or turbo(s). I would have considered the 24V but they had an inherent weakness in the design and VERY expensive to put right. I also like the story that surrounds this particular engine i.e. it was from a 55k mile concours car that Clarkson smashed up (muppet).

As the ECU will be another £600 plus the many other bits that I'll need plus the time it will take to put together and map etc I'll be surprised if I have the money to start the conversion before Eurotec. At least I have the engine, ready and waiting....

If it was me, I'd sell the pistons and make three grand profit Big Grin

- and then spend the profit on a Laguna 3.0RTi and a Saffy Bi-Turbo Big Grin (and still have change) and have some proper, safe, fun, without risking smashing my De up Big Grin

just my 2pth mate Smile its your car, I really hope it works out ok for you.
Chris, you are nuts, but I can't wait to see the result. :)

So here's my ex-trailing arm bolt. It's actually one of the upgraded types! Since some people here are so keen to jump into thinking the worst I should make it clear that it's entirely my fault that it's this broken -- in fact it's probably a testament to the strength of these things that it held together like this at all! The car actually drove surprisingly well like this, just pulling a bit and being rather squirrelly when cornering fast.

[Image: Bent%20Trailing%20Arm%20Bolt.JPG]
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
now thats bad maybe i should do mine while its off the road Shock TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
feck Rob, how the hell did it get that bent? Shock
Chris Hawes Wrote:I know I paid over the odds, but the pistons inside the block are worth £1000 on their own

Sorry mate but £1000 for pistons ?!?!?!!?! Who told you that ? A Complete set of Pistons AND Liners for the Esprit is only £900. Ok thats only 4 pistons but that includes Nickel Lined Liners !!!

You can have a custom set made for less than that. Omega forged pistons are very good and they can make them to what every spec you want.

What kind of power are you going for ? Having driven Marc Levy's Nissan Engiened D in the US and that has around 280 BHP. It's a monster to drive and is very scary. The suspension couldn't cope, the brakes didn't stop you and the car is lethal in the wet.

The Supercharge is the way I would go in the D as it is going to be easier to install and will require less moding of the existing exhaust that you have
Claire Usher Wrote:yeah, I read that :lol: :lol: :lol:

some things never change, eh!!

I often catch up with the Alpine forum, it can be very entertaining at times Big Grin

maybe i should join it then :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
We think that bent TAB must have been damaged by bashing the rear wheel in the 'incident' a couple of years ago. It even managed to get through an MOT like that and I drove around on it for a year. I found out it was bent at my last MOT where they rightly failed the car for it. Does explain why the suspension on that side was so hard to get back together after Martin did my rear wheel bearing. :)
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152