The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Speaking of turbos... sneak preview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi all,

Cross-posting this from the old group. I doubt anybody noticed but I've been disappeared for quite a while -- VIN #17thingy is off the road, having a lot of fun stuff done to it. (I won't spoil the surprise... more details when it's done.)

So here's a little preview Martin posted of my new exhaust system. Just one of many things being done to this car, so forgive the grottiness of everything other than the exhaust. :)

[Image: turboing.jpg]

bozzzydmc

Hi Rob

Well that looks very nice ! !

Looking forward to seeing a few more pictures of the same when the time is right, any idea when she will be ready matey?

Oh BTW im assuming by the 'old group' you are actually talking about Martins 'own' new Yahoo newsgroup.

For info:-

The DOC's 'one' remains (for archive purposes) at

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/doc-uk/
Hi Rob,

Looks good mate,

That Waste Gate Actuator is VERY close to the exhaust pipes. You really dont want that to get too hot as the heat will damage it or the vacuum pipes running to it.

What are you doing in regards to heat shielding the frame from the turbo ? Is it a water and oil cooled turbo or just an oil cooled one ?

Have you had any engine/block work done before turboing it our are running the standard pistons etc ?

It looks like you are using the existing manifolds and crossover pipework, Is that the case ? Also is it being EFI'd or are you using the standard intake system. How are you coping with the fuelling issue ?

Are you doing any other upgrades to cope with the power hike like brakes, steering, front lower control arms etc ?

Dan

NickT

Turbo-tastic !

I can't wait to see the results on a rolling road !

NickT.
bozzzydmc Wrote:For info:-

The DOC's 'one' remains (for archive purposes) at

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/doc-uk/

I didn't know that was still there... shame there's no easy way to transfer all the useful stuff to this one. Good to know though.

I don't know how long it will take to finish -- there's a lot more to come. :)

Dan,

It will be EFI. Can't provide too many details at this stage. It's not going to be using any major parts from my original engine.

My steering just needs a new UJ and it will be perfect, brakes are OK (recently had a badly overdue master cylinder replacement). I will probably switch to the red stuff pads at some point.

If I have the cash left over I'm hoping to replace all shocks and the front springs to make it stiffer overall, but it's not too bad at the moment other than a bent trailing arm (the rubber bit collapsed and the bolt is at a funny angle).

bozzzydmc

NickT Wrote:Turbo-tastic !

NickT.

...I seem to remember in the distant past , a complete BAE turbo kit lying around in someones garage... somewhere ......

NickT

bozzzydmc Wrote:
NickT Wrote:Turbo-tastic !

NickT.

...I seem to remember in the distant past , a complete BAE turbo kit lying around in someones garage... somewhere ......

Yes, time to bolt it on I think !
At least I got the wastegate working.

Shame that think called "work" keeps getting in the way Sad

NickT
I do like turbo's. goes back to my early days with aircraft I think. I too would strongley advise to check out all your brakes/steering/bushes Etc. As from my experience of putting my own stage 2 engine in, You really do notice the power difference, but more importantly you also notice how bad your braking system/steering etc is when you need to stop in a hurry! (dont ask me how I know). Thats why my car is of the road for a full front end overhaul. Bearings,brakes,springs,shocks,bushes,flexi lines Etc Etc.
Chris
That photo was taken from the test fitting, evident by the tack-welded pipework on the rear. The lack of turbo support bracket and tight wastegate actuator positioning have been addressed.
all i can say is lets hope its set up right, and if it does go bang whos gonna pay just a thought TT
Why would it go bang?
mainly if its not set up right martin, and i personally dont think you have enough knowledge to make it last, and thats my opinion as well, unless your going the easy route and putting an alpine set up in.

TT
It's not going to go bang. Wait and see and stop being silly.

bozzzydmc

" Silly Bang... and the DeLorean is gone !!!"

Sorry , I apologize ..that was bad.... Smile
Those BLOODY adverts! Shock I can still hear that guy's annoying tone ringing in my ears...

I wonder if he uses the same annoying tone to order a pint at the pub?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5