Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN-5222 the dream has arrived
As suggested above cutting a head in a bolt is something I often do, A Dremel with a metal cutting disc works well.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
hi

i use the dremel 562, it nibbles away steel.

i saved 5 or 6 broken bolts that way.

regarding the fog wire, it was part of the kit from Dgo....it would do the job but i always though was pretty thin....easy though to tie on some 10amp or so and pull through.

the Dgo kit converts the brake/rear light. i always prefer the right reverse light...a bit of wiring could still be reverse white, then red for fog.

just a thought.

talking of cutting, sometimes you can cut a slot to take a screwdriver......

working on Deloreans makes us experts on improvising!.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
I'd just shave the head of the screw(s) off, and pull the visor(s) off over the remnants of the thread, and deal with the plate once the headlining is out of the way.
Shave off the pop rivet heads and pull the plate(s) and work on them away from the car once you have access.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
well time for an update, 5222 is almost 100% running thanks to Rich Hutchinson's help just got the CPR to get working properly building pressure we also managed to free up the idle speed motor which was seized open, then to see if the auto wants to play nicely we had to deal with the battery dying twice and running out of fuel (woops), the old headliner and door seals are now removed along with the sun visors (drilling was required).

i spent a few days straightening one of the louvre hinges and both got fully repainted in satin black, i also removed the surround for the plugs in the bay as 2 weren't sat properly, think i counted 3 BTTF jokes/references from people nearby while #5222 was out on the drive. i did unfortunately manage to break the grill that sits under the front window but luckily its an easy fix with some plastic glue.

also in the words of Rich Hutch "I've never seen an ottertat come out in fragments"     
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
blimey, that otterstat!! I echo the comments of our esteemed DickyH!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Update time, 5222's starter has finally been replaced with a nice shiny new one and both asbestos sheets removed in the rear.

Rich Hutch found a bargin CPR to replace my old one which has now been fitted ready for final engine prep and tune and the idle motor has been fully sealed back up and working 100% (just need to fit an O-ring to stop a vac leak).

Also i managed to get vinyl dash paint made that is pretty much an identical colour to OEM thanks to PB autos in Sutton-in-Ashfield.

Now i was thinking of organising a tech day on the 11th September with a bit of a buffet if anyone would be interested Smile

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Quote:Now i was thinking of organising a tech day on the 11th September with a bit of a buffet if anyone would be interested [Image: smile.png]
Maybe for Chris M if he's still having running issues?

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
[attachment=1192]

Hi Will, nice to meet up again at Ambergate on Monday.....Personally I am extremely busy for the rest of September..full diary as well as trying to sort my car,  and dog sitting..etc etc. .Good luck.

...don't forget there is no rush, enjoy the process of getting the car back on the road.

The main thing is you now have your own car.....you won't need to borrow mine! .......you are a very lucky boy!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(31 Aug 2021, 19:46)Chris Williams Wrote: Maybe for Chris M if he's still having running issues?

Chris

Ha! I think Will is meaning for his own car rather than other people's! Big Grin

Will,

Thank you for the invitation, but I'm up to my eyes in it right now, and having my new running issue thrown at me by the car, adds even more pressure to a short amount of time to fix it. Maybe next time though. Typically, I' always happy to lend a hand, give advice, and help out wherever I can be of assistance to anyone.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(01 Sep 2021, 07:09)Chris P Wrote: Hi Will, nice to meet up again at Ambergate on Monday.....Personally I am extremely busy for the rest of September..full diary as well as trying to sort my car,  and dog sitting..etc etc. .Good luck.

...don't forget there is no rush, enjoy the process of getting the car back on the road.

The main thing is you now have your own car.....you won't need to borrow mine! .......you are a very lucky boy!
It was good to see you again after a long time (year or 2 since driving AXI 1698), she's definitely on her way to moving under her own power soon after like 15 years? Then a slow process to get the rest finished to a high standard.

And your right haha, I'll be able to return the favour of you borrowing mine  Wink

(01 Sep 2021, 08:28)Rissy Wrote:
(31 Aug 2021, 19:46)Chris Williams Wrote: Maybe for Chris M if he's still having running issues?

Chris

Ha!  I think Will is meaning for his own car rather than other people's! Big Grin

Will,

Thank you for the invitation, but I'm up to my eyes in it right now, and having my new running issue thrown at me by the car, adds even more pressure to a short amount of time to fix it.  Maybe next time though.  Typically, I' always happy to lend a hand, give advice, and help out wherever I can be of assistance to anyone.

Thats alright, best sorting that running issue before it gets worse hopefully its nothing that requires lots of dismantling and major headaches.

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
small update since the last: rear brakes have been refurbished and awaiting fitment with new pistons, seals, pads and new handbrake bits.

i checked to make sure the engine fired to which she decided against, checked with Rich Hutch and was advised to richen the mix just slightly to help with cold starts, tried starting again and the car was trying so hard to start as it turns out a single connector on the right cam cover had worked itself loose once it was re connected the engine fired straight away. (stupid connections haha)

also i begun the process of fixing my passenger door issues (no power window, latching issues and locking solenoid) it was a very tedious process to remove all fir trees without damaging any trim pieces (was slightly unsuccessful but can all be quickly repaired), checked power and continuity of the switch and nothing so I'm guessing its main issue is lack of power so once i get the car outside i can access the fuses easier.

also for those who were wondering about the Silverstone day 2 vlog I'm still having issues with one section not playing nicely with anything but hoping to fix it shortly

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Todays venture consisted of finally getting the rear brakes back together and fitted, only to find that one of the 2 brake pipes had collapsed (fun....) so a trip to PCS resulted in nothing once again and slowed the day down as i wanted to give the car a "legal" test drive up the street to check the auto was happy. so we decided to button everything up to try anyway and found that the handbrakes aren't playing nicely with us, the cables work fine after adjustment but they dont want to stay connected to the handle mechanism?? like they slipped out and im not sure if there's a clip or piece missing from that end as i was adjusting the cables and they eventually came free of the mechanism

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
its fun learing this stuff Will.....I know some of my chums have loads of stuff from parts lists etc that can help in identifying what should be where...
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:the cables work fine after adjustment but they dont want to stay connected to the handle mechanism?? like they slipped out and im not sure if there's a clip or piece missing from that end as i was adjusting the cables and they eventually came free of the mechanism

There's no clip which hold these in place, but what you are describing sounds like classic seized brake cables.

You need to disconnect both cables at both ends, then get hold of a cable end and pull. You should be able to freely move the cable over it's full range from all the way in to all the way out. Check both cables like this.

If you find you can only move the cable by an inch or so before it jams up, then your cable is seized and needs replacing...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
(10 Oct 2021, 11:42)Rich H Wrote:
Quote:the cables work fine after adjustment but they dont want to stay connected to the handle mechanism?? like they slipped out and im not sure if there's a clip or piece missing from that end as i was adjusting the cables and they eventually came free of the mechanism

There's no clip which hold these in place, but what you are describing sounds like classic seized brake cables.

You need to disconnect both cables at both ends, then get hold of a cable end and pull. You should be able to freely move the cable over it's full range from all the way in to all the way out. Check both cables like this.

If you find you can only move the cable by an inch or so before it jams up, then your cable is seized and needs replacing...

The cables work fine just they wont stay attached to the internal mechanism, now it could be i fitted them into the slots the wrong way round? After so many pulls of the handle they jumped out of those slots. When they were connected for a breif period they have plenty of movement and held strong on the discs.

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk