Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
she's finally arrived
    [attachment=1109][attachment=1109][attachment=1109

]Finally after 3 months to ship the car its arrived absolutely over the moon.

I have a tech question already got some water leaking from over flow pipe after about 10 mins of running any ideas gentleman ?
Congrats! looks like a fine car!

Water overflowing could be a number of reasons.

Are your fans coming on - If not it could be an issue with the otterstat / Fan failure bypass wires.

If they are coming on -

The most common is an air lock in the system - If you look for "Burping" a DeLorean - you will find details of how to remove the air.

The other issue it could be is a faulty radiator cap / coolant reservoir / leaking pipework not allowing the system to come up to running pressure.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
Congratulations! Looks a nice example! Except that glass writing. That's definitely not stock! :o)

Regarding your overflow pipe leaking; I'm presuming you mean the pressure release from the coolant (reservoir) expansion tank to the right of the engine bay.

If your engine is getting too hot after 10mins, then as Derfel has suggested, perhaps the coolant circulatory system needs a bit of a going over, but also, it could be something simple like too much coolant in the reservoir. DeLoreans typically hate their coolant, and like to keep the minimal amount in the reservoir as possible. Mine for example, barely covers the output pipe hole inside the reservoir which goes off to the rest of the car pipiing. As the water heats up, you find that this level rises inside the reservoir, so if you have too much to begin with, then it "spits" it out via the pressure release cap and out of the overflow pipe. If I add more to mine, it spits out what it doesn't want and goes pretty much back to where it was before I added more again!

Try running the engine again with "just enough" water in the reservoir and no more, but also make sure your temperature gauge is climbing in time with the engine running to a: make sure it's working, and b: to make sure the engine isn't showing signs of overheating. the gauge is unhelpfully enough printed in degs F, but typically you should not see a temperature higher than about 198F (92C) because at that point a good otterstat would engage and bring on the radiator cooling fans and not go off until it gets back down to 188F (87C). So that is your typical engine temperature cycle region. It can go hotter of course if it's really hot outside and you're not moving for a while but if you're getting over 220F (104C) then typically you'd want to not let your engine get any hotter than that to be safe.

You should feel the temperature of the pipes leading to, and from the radiator at the front of the cat to make sure they're getting hot a short time after starting to make sure your thermostatic valve is opening up to allow the coolant right round the system. This should happen at the point when the engine is getting up close to the typcial engine temperature cycle region. This would test that your valve is operating.

Beyond these things, you're starting to consider air locks (burp the system), water pump not spinning (it's belt driven from the crank shaft pulley at the back) or something more catastrophic inside where you cannot see without taking stuff apart.

Good luck, and let us know how you're getting on or if you need any more advice.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Congratulations! I look forward to more pics/info.
                [attachment=1114][attachment=1114][attachment=1113]Ok Guys so gave her the 1st deep clean in and out came out really well,
coolant stopped leaking from expansion over flow pipe now took her for a quick spin round the block so have to keep eye on it
(17 Jul 2021, 18:55)samp5679 Wrote: Ok Guys so gave her the 1st deep clean in and out came out really well,
coolant stopped leaking from expansion over flow pipe now took her for a quick spin round the block so have to keep eye on it
Looks really nice, just keep a close eye on your temp gauge.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Congrats on getting the car... finally!

Looks really clean, if the engine doesn't have the coolant bleed kit upgrade which has a hose going from the water pump back to the overflow bottle. I highly recommend fitting one for piece of mind. 
Also running the engine with the car jacked up at the back or with the nose down hill, that can help get some air out of the system.

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Looks like you've got a good car there, happy days! 
With the coolant I had the same issue with the drive to the MOT station because I overfilled the coolant but what I would recommend is to fit (if it doesn't have one) a bleed kit to help get rid of the air in the radiator. I didn't know about this issue so filled the car as I would for my other cars and what I found was that with the air in the system the cooling fans would not to turn on.
(19 Jul 2021, 14:55)acmetowers Wrote: Looks like you've got a good car there, happy days! 
With the coolant I had the same issue with the drive to the MOT station because I overfilled the coolant but what I would recommend is to fit (if it doesn't have one) a bleed kit to help get rid of the air in the radiator. I didn't know about this issue so filled the car as I would for my other cars and what I found was that with the air in the system the cooling fans would not to turn on.

oh thanks for the advice guys, she's not leaked anymore but only been round the block in her and had her running on the drive. 
New battery ordered new Cooper cobra tyres lowering springs and stainless lettering for the back of the car and door sills ..... spend mounting up already 

Simon
She looks a lovely car Simon, well done !
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie