Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Wait! The 19k rusty car actually runs and drives? Seeing the rust in the engine bay had me thinking the engine would need some serious work. I would love to see those videos. Still, what with the frame rust, its easily a frame off restoration with the high possibility of needing a new chassis altogether. Not cheap.

The car i bought was only a tad higher than the rusty one. In comparison,  i heavily underpaid for my car. Myself and a few owners agree i got a good one at a great price. Since buying mine, ive seen bhcc sell poorer cars for more than mine. Either prices are going up, or they just pull numbers out of the air. Either way, i think bhcc will sit with that car for a while. 

I always wanted to get a great example car but im really glad i went for a project instead. Its more rewarding seeing the car come together, getting another car back on the road and getting another into the country. Working on a delorean is relatively simple. Its mostly just nuts and bolts. This was the listing for my car:

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-9509.htm
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
(14 Aug 2019, 22:33)DMC1983 Wrote: Wait! The 19k rusty car actually runs and drives? Seeing the rust in the engine bay had me thinking the engine would need some serious work. I would love to see those videos. Still, what with the frame rust, its easily a frame off restoration with the high possibility of needing a new chassis altogether. Not cheap.

The car i bought was only a tad higher than the rusty one. In comparison,  i heavily underpaid for my car. Myself and a few owners agree i got a good one at a great price. Since buying mine, ive seen bhcc sell poorer cars for more than mine. Either prices are going up, or they just pull numbers out of the air. Either way, i think bhcc will sit with that car for a while. 

I always wanted to get a great example car but im really glad i went for a project instead. Its more rewarding seeing the car come together, getting another car back on the road and getting another into the country. Working on a delorean is relatively simple. Its mostly just nuts and bolts. This was the listing for my car:

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-9509.htm

The car I was interested in has since been sold on BHCC. I'm not sure about the current one they have for sale: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...-10154.htm

I've just read the your thread [vin 5219] really impressed with what you have achieved in the time you've owned the car. You say Nuts and Bolts  Big Grin...... Do you have much experience working with cars?
Owner of VIN #6706
Based in the West Midlands
Next to nothing working on cars. I could change my oil and coolant but thats as far as my experience went till i got a delorean. You can get plenty of help/advice from other owners and theres loads of videos out there too. If you can follow instructions, youll be fine. Getting copies of the tech and parts manuals are a huge help too.

Yeah someone said the same thing to me earlier tonight about how quick ive managed to do things. Heck even im surprised. Ive still a long way to go but at least i can drive the car and enjoy it now. Everything else will just fall into place, ive yet to decide on what order im going to do the rest in
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
I've just ordered my 2nd book which you recommended from Delorean Go. Thanks for that.

This was the car I enquired about on BHCC: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1982...c-9975.htm They emailed plenty of videos of it running but like Chris said, they don't tell you whats wrong unless you ask. I asked if the doors opened/closed ok and he replied saying the struts are gone and need replacing along with a list of other issues, some to be expected with a car this age.

I did notice that Delorean Go do have a reprint of the manual which will be on the top of my list when I become an owner!
Owner of VIN #6706
This is their website. http://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Generally, if they dont show you a picture of the doors open from a distance, then its a safe bet to say the struts will need replacing. They usually show a picture with the doors open otherwise
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Thanks for the recommending the US guide. Almost finished the first read through and I'm sure during the buying process I read through both over and over again  Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Owner of VIN #6706
Star 
I read those books a few times. I occasionally refer to them.
In the end i bought my car unseen but theyre still helpful in inspecting the problem areas once i got the car
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876