Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
(11 Dec 2018, 18:07)little_daz Wrote: Ironically my missus has bought your book for me for Christmas. I ruined the surprise when she said "I think this will be OK, it says outer packaging damaged..." and I finished the sentence for her. She wasn't amused  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Once I get a D, I'd be happy to pick you brains. We'll have to arrange something when the weather warms up.

I've heard this a few times, that an auto is better suited to the conversion. I think it's one of the more common 'concessions' when building a time machine. I'd prefer the accuracy of a manual, but it depends on what cars pop up I suppose. Auto or Manual, neither are going to set the world on fire with performance  Shy  ! 

I'd definitely be interested in the spec of Andrews car once it's ready.

With regards the auto...... to get the “look” of the 5 speed, I have seen conversions done that essentially have a 5 speed surround, gaitor and gear knob.

Bobs prop shop has done it.

Oh, and yes - I can recommend Mr Westerman, that’s where I acquired 11477 from.
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
(11 Dec 2018, 18:56)TristanC Wrote:
(11 Dec 2018, 18:07)little_daz Wrote: Ironically my missus has bought your book for me for Christmas. I ruined the surprise when she said "I think this will be OK, it says outer packaging damaged..." and I finished the sentence for her. She wasn't amused  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Once I get a D, I'd be happy to pick you brains. We'll have to arrange something when the weather warms up.

I've heard this a few times, that an auto is better suited to the conversion. I think it's one of the more common 'concessions' when building a time machine. I'd prefer the accuracy of a manual, but it depends on what cars pop up I suppose. Auto or Manual, neither are going to set the world on fire with performance  Shy  ! 

I'd definitely be interested in the spec of Andrews car once it's ready.

With regards the auto...... to get the “look” of the 5 speed, I have seen conversions done that essentially have a 5 speed surround, gaitor and gear knob.

Bobs prop shop has done it.

Oh, and yes - I can recommend Mr Westerman, that’s where I acquired 11477 from.

Tris, you're a superstar. I think this is going to save me a lot of work. In all honesty I think it's a quite straightforward thing to do - you just have to be careful as you'd be removing the lock mechanism from the gear knob. I'll know more when I get my hands on one.
It does help to widen my search though, but I'm thinking that a grey interior is going to have to be a must.
I was looking at using the leather covers available on eBay to convert a black interior to grey, but I'm thinking it may cost so much that I'd be better waiting. Plus I don't know the quality.

Thanks for the recommendation, I thought it was the same person you had 11477 from. The benefit is that's he's not too far away from me so that's a real plus point, just need to see what he has.

Still working on tidying the garage out (the main reason I'm not ready for the car yet) but the weathers gone cold now so less is getting done! I do have an outdoor carcoon though if needs be and the D should fit in - but after downsizing my amount of cars recently, my missus would only put up with that short term LOL!
No worries.

It looks like a pretty neat solution.
Here’s the video I saw it in:
https://youtu.be/U1JEwaDZ0T

And with Chris P and Andrew on your doorstep, you’re spoilt for DeLorean whisperers Big Grin
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Thats a very neat idea, well spotted Tris.

And of course changing the interior colour is not a  huge job...a tin of upholstery paint, new carpet set and its sorted. The seat covers often need changing anyway, so just go for grey.   (I did it when I changed all my BTTF stuff over from one car to the other).

A black interior auto is usually the cheapest and most commonly available car.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Welcome to the Club LD... The C (process) car in BTTF was an Auto and had that exact shifter disguise... When Marty sees if the 'car' can do 90 he whacks the auto shifter from front to back. So that would make it screen accurate too  Cool

Good luck in finding THE car and there's plenty of support on here for you.

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
I did not know that Stu! Good info there Smile

Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Having seen the films many times, and I do remember that particular scene....the penny never dropped!

You do realise that this bit of info about one if the original BTTF cars, make owning an Auto even 'cooler' than it was before....I'm glad about that!   Smile         

to remind you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1JEwaDZ...e=youtu.be  This is how its done now by Video BoB.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(12 Dec 2018, 14:09)Stuart Rees Wrote: Welcome to the Club LD... The C (process) car in BTTF was an Auto and had that exact shifter disguise... When Marty sees if the 'car' can do 90 he whacks the auto shifter from front to back. So that would make it screen accurate too  Cool

Good luck in finding THE car and there's plenty of support on here for you.

Stu

BTTF has spawned a lot of DeLorean myths, and a gear change that smooth may well be the most egregious of them.
Yeah I didn't realise that the C car was an auto until I saw someone asking about the VIN numbers yesterday morning on facebook.
So we can safely argue the point of 'screen accuracy'  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

We could just coin the term 'I have a C car shifter' when speaking of an Automatic time machine LOL!
I think the hardest part about the C car shifter will be either trying to incorporate the lockout into a manual knob so it can't be shifted when driving or defeating it altogether, Plus the fact that if anyone else drives the car (i.e MOT) they will have to be aware of the shift pattern, unless it's easier to put it back once a year (Like removing some of the parts that cover the lights etc.)
Worst case a shifter is £103 so it might be worth getting a spare to modify ...... Once I have a car of course  Smile