Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Master Seal Kit
Just a heads up that I found a rebuild kit for the clutch master cylinder. I have not had to touch mine since I got the car 18 years ago but recently noticed a weep of fluid from it.
I remember rebuilding a friends with a kit from Martin (I think) back in the day.

Anyway got a kit from these guys for £14 
http://www.northwestclassic.co.uk/

Part number SP2139  

Cover boot is different but will fit even though it's tricky. 

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Nice one Nick Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(15 Sep 2017, 21:19)Nick H Wrote: Just a heads up that I found a rebuild kit for the clutch master cylinder. I have not had to touch mine since I got the car 18 years ago but recently noticed a weep of fluid from it.
I remember rebuilding a friends with a kit from Martin (I think) back in the day.

Part number SP2139  

Nick H

I refurbished a Master Cylinder of mine over a year ago. I did a lot of research to work out the reseal kit identity at the time. I didn't get around to actually trying out the reseal kit until earlier this year (always an issue with my car living so far away from me - but not for long!).

With house moving etc this year, and without actually having the need to fit this cylinder to my car yet, I hadn't got around to advising of this part.

Anyway, the "proper" match reseal kit for the DeLorean cylinder is "SP2444". The one you've bought is for a Ford Capri cylinder. It IS interesting that it fits though!

"SP2444" is double the price from the same place as what you've paid too (despite their website STILL saying it's still £12!) and it doesn't come with a replacement cover boot either! I bought this cover boot though, and it's a spot on fit!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Girling-Dust-C...1438.l2649
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Interesting. The cover included in the kit I got looks identical to that eBay item. The original used a metal cap and the cover seal was a flat disc that sat in the metal cap.

I did some research and one of the US forums had found the cylinder bore was 7/8".
I have not measured it to check but the one I received fitted perfectly. 
I saved a few quid rather than buying a complete new master cylinder. Which I have now put towards my new radiator  Rolleyes .

Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
(20 Sep 2017, 22:02)Nick H Wrote: I did some research and one of the US forums had found the cylinder bore was 7/8".

Nick

The actual bore diameter is actually an obscure 13/16". My research provided me information that "our" master cylinder was only ever used on four or possibly five vehicles WORLD WIDE! So no wonder it's gone the way of the DODO!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
My guess is the guys in the States found that 7/8" will do the job.  And were able to find it off the shelf at Autozone or some such. 
 I keep an eye on it if it packs up I'll let you know.

Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
(18 Sep 2017, 10:43)Rissy Wrote:
(15 Sep 2017, 21:19)Nick H Wrote: Just a heads up that I found a rebuild kit for the clutch master cylinder. I have not had to touch mine since I got the car 18 years ago but recently noticed a weep of fluid from it.

Part number SP2139  

Nick H

I refurbished a Master Cylinder of mine over a year ago.  I did a lot of research to work out the reseal kit identity at the time.  I didn't get around to actually trying out the reseal kit until earlier this year (always an issue with my car living so far away from me - but not for long!).

With house moving etc this year, and without actually having the need to fit this cylinder to my car yet, I hadn't got around to advising of this part.

Anyway, the "proper" match reseal kit for the DeLorean cylinder is "SP2444".  The one you've bought is for a Ford Capri cylinder.  It IS interesting that it fits though!

"SP2444" is double the price from the same place as what you've paid too (despite their website STILL saying it's still £12!) and it doesn't come with a replacement cover boot either!  I bought this cover boot though, and it's a spot on fit!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Girling-Dust-C...1438.l2649

Hi - I just replaced my slave cylinder, so I assume my master might go soon. It is an original Girling so this thread has piqued my interest! Rissy what was the price you got for the SP2444 reseal kit?

Delorean Go has a master service kit in stock for £26 at the moment - not sure if it has a boot either though.
#1373 - Black, Manual, Gas Flap

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
Hi Priesh.

I paid £25 if I remember correctly. That was in 2016. (I didn't get to try it out until early last year due to me and my car and parts all living so far apart)

So I'm not sure what the guy will charge now. His website still says £12.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
The one on Deloreango is original - would the rubber still be ok after all this time?

Do you reckon the one sold by that other site is also that old or are they more recent?

Cheers!

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
Just got a price back from northwest classic - £25 + £4.50 delivery. Think I might just go for the one on deloreango

Actually reading more into shelf life it seems going for NOS reseal kit is a bad idea, so getting an original one from deloreango is probably not a great option given the age of the seals.

So back to northwest - I'll ask the guy if they are brand new or NOS and go from there...

(02 Mar 2018, 17:02)priesh Wrote: Actually reading more into shelf life it seems going for NOS reseal kit is a bad idea, so getting an original one from deloreango is probably not a great option given the age of the seals.

So back to northwest - I'll ask the guy if they are brand new or NOS and go from there...

Precisely.

They are brand new from Northwest. The chap has the moulds (or access to someone who does) and makes them up in batches. No 37yr old seals with him.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
(02 Mar 2018, 17:52)Rissy Wrote:
(02 Mar 2018, 17:02)priesh Wrote: Actually reading more into shelf life it seems going for NOS reseal kit is a bad idea, so getting an original one from deloreango is probably not a great option given the age of the seals.

Precisely.

They are brand new from Northwest.  The chap has the moulds (or access to someone who does) and makes them up in batches.  No 37yr old seals with him.

Yes he just confirmed so this is ideal!