Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to buy my first DeLorean
Hi guys,

Long time dreamer here! I'm exploring a few options for buying a car at the moment, including importing one from the USA. I was just wondering if anyone else was aware of any other cars for sale or going up for sale soon that I could take a look at?

I've seen the ones listed here, and I've been keeping an eye on other forums too. Went for a nosey at the one that's just popped up on eBay recently too but at the price he wants it would be better to import.

I don't have any extreme preferences but a black interior would be more favorable.

Thanks,

Max
Good to chat on the phone, fingers X on your potential purchase! Any questions feel free to ask and with any luck will chat at Manchester.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(11 Sep 2017, 20:34)Chris Williams Wrote: Good to chat on the phone, fingers X on your potential purchase! Any questions feel free to ask and with any luck will chat at Manchester.

Thanks Chris, appreciate your time and help. See you at the weekend!
Hiya Max,
I imported my car in 2002, most of us on here have used TGAL (Trans Global Auto Logisitics).
Best wishes with your future purchase!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(12 Sep 2017, 10:56)Guinney1971 Wrote: Hiya Max,
I imported my car in 2002, most of us on here have used TGAL (Trans Global Auto Logisitics).

Thanks Claire. I've been speaking to them but would be great to know if you have any further advice. The plan at the moment is to get them to pickup the car in the States, ship to Southampton and then bring it all the way to Manchester.

I'm planning to fly out to see the car but after that I wouldn't actually see it again until it arrived in Manchester. Does that sound like a bad idea?

I've worked out the costs that I think include everything (except VAT) based on what trans global have said. Total cost is about $2200. This is RO/RO, is that how most people transport?
Hello Max,

I purchased one from the states last year and used TGAL. Best plan is to let them do everything up to Southampton, and then if you want help with getting it through the port they have somebody there who will look after it, and arrange forward transport if you want it (which I got them to do as I had no access to a transporter).

There are a few guides to assist with importing which are worth reading. Think there is one on PJ Grady website.

If it drives they will use a car transporter to bring it across the pond.

Make sure the car has a valid title, you need this to get it through US customs.

Good luck with the purchase.

Ian
Ian Beattie, Cumbria
Vin#2703 Aug 81 manual with black interior, grooved hood and gas flap
DOC 875
(12 Sep 2017, 13:06)Max Wrote:
(12 Sep 2017, 10:56)Guinney1971 Wrote: Hiya Max,

Thanks Claire. I've been speaking to them but would be great to know if you have any further advice. The plan at the moment is to get them to pickup the car in the States, ship to Southampton and then bring it all the way to Manchester.

I'm planning to fly out to see the car but after that I wouldn't actually see it again until it arrived in Manchester. Does that sound like a bad idea?

I've worked out the costs that I think include everything (except VAT) based on what trans global have said. Total cost is about $2200. This is RO/RO, is that how most people transport?

I've done that very thing three times; went out once and drove one car, shipped it back etc.

If you can afford to do that, do so, but get a TON of pictures and info before you do. These are old cars and all have their own "features" so be happy with that before you visit.

As the others have said, get it over and then flat-bed it home. All documentation is necessary too - and if it's a "good" one then getting it registered is fairly simple as long as it's road worthy and can get through an MOT (with the obvious work on lights/etc).

The £/$ rate at the moment makes it a fairly poor time to do all the work, though. Depending on your budget, you may find a more local car less stressful.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Thanks guys.

I will take lots of photos if I go.

The cost of buying this one is pretty much £30k by the time it's here and I've fixed a few issues but the chassis and underside look to be the best I've seen. I'll send you a pm with the car I'm looking at.

I'm trying to explore options in the UK right now but haven't found anything at all that isn't full of rust or on all original parts and charging full price. I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows someone selling at a reasonable price. I'll be looking over the next week Smile
If you have got £30k to spend there are cars in the UK, you may have to wait a while if your looking for a particular spec, but plenty of cars advertised at £35K sell for much less. IMO
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(13 Sep 2017, 15:15)Chris P Wrote: If you have got £30k to spend there are cars in the UK, you may have to wait a while if your looking for a particular spec, but plenty of cars advertised at £35K sell for much less.  IMO

If there are any cars in the UK for sale with a clean chassis and underside then let me know Wink
http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/delo...-12/238620

I don't know if this one has been discussed on here....... but it looks pretty good to me, very early, gas-flap black manual, owner had it for 2 1/2 years, needs to sell for house move...asking 32 with some flexibility, in Manchester, not in the club. Seems genuine to me.
I'd be going to look if I was in the market.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(14 Sep 2017, 09:57)Chris P Wrote: http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/delo...-12/238620

I don't know if this one has been discussed on here....... but it looks pretty good to me, very early, gas-flap black manual, owner had it for 2 1/2 years, needs to sell for house move...asking 32 with some flexibility, in Manchester, not in the club. Seems genuine to me.
I'd be going to look if I was in the market.

Thanks Chris. I've already been to see it but it's not what I'm looking for.. Car is definitely genuine and seller seems like a nice guy though.
Having seen it, what didn't you like? Might be helpful to others.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I knew my car was a shed when I bought it, so didn't have high expectations when I got it from Tilbury lol
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Quote:Having seen it, what didn't you like? Might be helpful to others.
32k and no chassis pics........ that's what everyone wants to see.  ;-)
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584