Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipping Cars to the UK - warning!
If anyone is looking to ship a car to the UK, please be aware that we've seen an increase in the amount of break ins into the cars while they're sitting in the US ports awaiting shipment.
Most of the time they are only trying to steal the stereo - but I've heard reports of them going through the glovebox, etc - looking for items of value.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a fairly common problem - so the message is to:

(a) Make sure that all paperwork relating to the car is sent to you by Fedex/UPS - not left with the car.
(b) Make sure the stereo is unclipped and placed in the front hood stowage area. The fact that a stereo can't be seen may be enough to deter.
© Make sure the interior of the car is completely clear of anything of value (spare parts, etc). Things like this need to go into the hood space.

At least if the car appears to be empty and doesn't have a stereo - maybe they'll go and break into something else!

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
hi Darren

when i shipped mine, i paid extra for a sealed container, and extra couple of hundred i think.

i'd rather pay it, than have any damage done to my classic.

not sure when the container is sealed though!.

regards
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi Mr Pod Person Smile

Welcome to the Forum, If you are considering buying a D, perhaps take a look at these Tech Sessions that PJGrady are doing and try and attend?

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

Oh any chance of you letting us know who you are , its nice to know and we wont bite Smile
Yep, I had a set of hand made DMC luggage nicked out of mine on the way over, which were left inside the cabin. They also made a right mess of it pulling carpets up etc, and leaving the glove-box lid up. That, of course , left the glove-box light on, which meant the battery was flat and that the car wouldn't start. And THAT meant that they towed it off the boat, and THAT meant that they bust my front fan cowls with the rope as they pulled it, and that meant I had to get the fibreglass kit out and rewire a fan motor.

Luckily the stuff under the hood (which included quite a few decent spares) was safe, as the release handle had thankfully pulled off the end of the cable, so there was no way of opening the hood without getting some grips on the end of the wire and pulling it.

Frankly, if you're on good terms with the seller, I'd recomend that they did this - remove the bolt from the end of the cable where it plugs into the bonnet pull, and get them to stick the bolt in the ashtray. That way, even if the sods can get into the cabin, it might be enough deterrent to keep them out of the boot...

Just my 2p...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
well my car was so bad, i had stuff put in mine :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
I requested a private sealed cargo when I had mine shipped. It does help in terms of security, and it protects your car from dings and bird craps!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
:? can you stop it with the nightmare stories, It hard enough to sleep at night as it is Shock
Mine is in a Baltimore warehouse, waiting to see if customs find the drugs,,,,,, I mean Tongue Find there are no drugs,,lol
DOC # 595
Is Baltimore the only place Schumacher ship from? Or was that simply the nearest port to your car?
VIN: 6511
Hi Dan,

Schumacher will ship from any US port - their offices are actually in California. All of our cars go via New Jersey - as that's the closest port to PJ Grady (Inc).

If you haven't already received them - drop me a PM with your home email address so I can ask Jen to send you the tech session details....

Ta

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Chicago was the closest port to where the car was but it was cheaper to move it over land and ship from Baltimore NY.
Schumacher cargo took care of it all, Good luck hunting Dan :wink:
DOC # 595
Thanks Smile I want to get one while the dollar/pound is still good, but ive just been told im on the list of possibles for redundancy at work :twisted: The redundancy payment will cover a chunk of one though :wink: :wink:
Dodgy Motor Wrote:Good luck hunting Dan :wink:
I didnt know it was Dan Hunting Season Shock Blimey, I thought
it was still Pheasant season! :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:twisted: CLEANING SHOT GUN :twisted:
DOC # 595