Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilot 20 Restoration Pictures
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:Had a quick look at the under body.

It was definately formed in a mould - but certainly not the same moulds that were used for production.
Can't really tell if the body is VARI like production - but we will be carrying out a frame off restoration after the NEC show - so we'll be able to take a better look.

Darren

Thats really interesting Darren, so basically the chassis, underbody and SS panels are all 'hand made' and unique to the car. Be good to know what process the underbody was made from. Seems strange to make a comples mold like that and then not use it for production and i wonder where that mold is now?
I suspect that the moulds used for pilot 20 are just earlier modifications on the same moulds used for production. There are a few subtle differences - and I suspect that Lotus were adjusting and reworking the moulds until they were happy.

he moulds themselves are very big, heavy and expensive - so I'd be surprised if they started again from scratch after every tweak!

I keep expecting to find a stash of cash hidden in the car - Apparently when the car went to Olsen for emissions testing back in 1980, a 'donation' was left inside the rear pontoon (next to carbon canister) to ensure that EPA approval was granted to the DMC-12.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:he moulds themselves are very big, heavy and expensive - so I'd be surprised if they started again from scratch after every tweak!

Darren

are those the things currently at the bottom of the irish sea?
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
No - these things....

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericConten ... oulds.html

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
ahh right the body moulds. sorry i miss understood. 8)

post pub and all.
- Dave Smith

are them hands mr Nicholsons?
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
BTW Are these moulds going to be 'rescued' from the field ?
The current owner is more than happy for someone to rescue them - for a few thousand pounds.

We thought about it VERY seriously - partly for the history and partly for the idea of being able to remould some underbodies.

We decided against it in the end - there's no intrinsic value to the moulds - other than the history - plus they're expensive to transport and take up lots of space.

The DOI club was also looking at the idea of acquiring these - but not much is happening as the guy wants megabucks for what essentially are useless for anything other than a museum piece.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
arh...so the guy is just being 'greedy'

They cant even be worth anything as scrap.

#Sigh#
well i got down today to take a look at chris and darrens new workshop, and i took a good look at pilot 20, i spose visually it looks the same, until you start to look closely, some things are hand made and there are stickers and plates saying prototype or not passed that sort of thing, i wont spoil it so take a look yourself if you are down there.
and good luck chris with the rebuild TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
All,

The Pilot 20 restoration pages have been updated with further progress on the bodywork and the interior.

Link below....

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericConten ... ion_1.html

Regards

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Just such an awesome effort Darren! Everybody involved in this restoration really does need a massive pat on the back, and several... several beverages!! Im just finding it incredible how much has been done to the car so far, and in what seems such a short space of time! Awesome work! Looking forward to seeing it at the perspective owners day later next month!! Big Grin
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
awesome. thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

good to see some stainless.
- Dave Smith

Great progress report... I'm really impressed with all that work on getting back to the stainless steel underneath all that paint. Looks amazing... Can't wait to see the finished car.
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
WOW !

Stunning...simply stunning...

You guys have a real gift, the stainless panels look absolutely incredible!

I can't wait to see the car 'in the metal'.

Loving the plates too! Big Grin
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk