Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flames out of my exhaust
Hi all just wanted to know if anyone knows if it is againced the law to have flamescomeing out of the exhaust pipe.I was putting hana back in the garage last night ,the wife was standing behind and she said that a blue flame was coming out of the exhaust when i let the throtle off.I no that she runs a bit rich but how cool is that .I made the wife press down the throtle so i could see and it realy dose look good getting about a 9" blue flame.Am i damaging the engain ?or is it just burning off exises fule ?

Ps i wont be on the forum for a while as im taking wife to hospital for a skin graf she has 3rd degree burns......
But be sure the delorean is ok

Cherrs all
Tyson and the fire breathing delorean(hana5284)
I want flames coming out of my exhaust! :twisted:

I think it may be illegal! I saw a car in America have flames from their exhaust pipe, they had a system that poured fuel in, it looked good until he set fire to the 'airfield grass where he was displaying his car'!

Also, watch out for melting people bumpers behind you in traffic Big Grin
Chris Reynolds
www.deloreanhire.com
The proper bolt on flame kits aren't road legal - they're only supposed to be for show use. These kits use a spark plug to ignite unburnt fuel gas in the exhaust.

Tyson - your car does that even without the spark plug! It's obviously been tuned to run rich - presumably as part of the stainless exhaust upgrade (e.g. a stage 1 engine).

It's not illegal as such - but as Chris says - don't stand behind it - and try not to melt anyone elses bumpers!

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Flopsy used to pop and bang after her stage 1 upgrade and shoot flames out of the exhaust, but that all stopped when the rubber bung that goes in the adjuster hole infront of the metering head was put back.

We found it was missing when we got the car home, and fashioned a bit of wood to plug the hole and stop the flamethrowing until such time as the original rubber bung was posted back to me.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
If the car has that much fuel coming out of the exhaust that it causes flames then it is too rich. I'd hate to think how many gallons per mile you are doing !

NickT.
Hana's engine always did do that after Dave and I fitted the stainless exhaust. It's a stock engine in every way, lambda system running correctly. From memory, she may have the plastic cap missing off the end of the vacuum advance solenoid. This causes the ignition advance to snap back to zero very quickly when you lift off the throttle. She may well also have a bit of extra air through the brass screws to keep the idle up when cold - some of the free flow exhaust equipped engines banefit from this greatly. When manoevering the car, blipping the throttle causes the ignition advance to whack forwards and backwards rapidly and you get a cylinder or two full of mixture which is lit up very late. The exhaust being very short = pop, bang. It's over so quickly it doesn't even have time to light up your leg hair - and that's from experience and a moment of "coo, that's warm".

If you want more info on that car, drop me a mail martin@delorean.co.uk
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk