Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Covers?
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a car cover manufacturer for keeping my D
dry during the this lovely wet summer!!?

Mine's a bit worn and I can't remember where I got it from!

Ta,

Mat
DOC 100 Vin#3866 Ashington, West Sussex
dont bother getting one from Argos, I got one last year to cover Rapey up, and within a week it had ripped (where the material meets the edge) so a £30 car cover went in the wheelie bin :evil:

I had a butchers on ebay, and came up with a nice one with a 'door zip' and it also had the reinforced holes so that you can tie it under the car. It came in its own carry bag, and is 'weatherproof' (not totally waterproof, but keeps the worst off) and cost about £16 plus postage. I had to get one that was long enough for Rapey (she was 14' 6"), but I dont think the D is that long, so you might find one a bit cheaper.

Since Rapey went off to her new home last week, I've been using it on Guinney-Bling-Bling to keep the bird crap, leaves and tree sap off of her.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Scroll down here to see what I used:-

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewto ... tions#2664

Hope it helps...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Hey! I was just about to post about car covers... must have read my mind!

Out of interest, how many people here keep their DeLorean outside rather than in a garage? Any tips for using car covers on the cars for long periods of time (like over winter etc) ? What about condensation etc?
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
Continual use of a car cover does tarnish the stainless steel finish over time - so rebrushing is needed. This is caused more by rain and moisture being held against the body rather than the weight of the material itself.

Certainly the cheaper plastic type covers aren't great and they will scratch and scuff as you drag them over the body.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
yes darren but Chris will be kept busy :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Thanks Tony - you can be our new Director of marketing!

Everyone - go and buy the heavy duty tarpaulins to cover your cars with. Chris Nicholsons home number is.....

(TT and I will spend the proceeds of the rebrushes down the pub).

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
frostrobo Wrote:Hey! I was just about to post about car covers... must have read my mind!

Out of interest, how many people here keep their DeLorean outside rather than in a garage? Any tips for using car covers on the cars for long periods of time (like over winter etc) ? What about condensation etc?

The only problem I've found with Flopsy when she lives outside is that when it rains the 'dips with bolts showing' under the bonnet (where the body attatches to the chassis I think) fill up with water.

Here's a couple of Flopsy overwintering in Stevenage in 2004 Smile

[Image: snow1.jpg]

[Image: snow2.jpg]
Thanks... Flopsy looks cold in those pics Claire!

Well, when I get my De I will have to invest in a decent cover until I can move house and get a garage.

Looks like I will have need of Chris's rebrushing services in a year or so then!
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
ah, but my Flopsy's well 'ard, she can take it :lol:

I've got a really funny photo of her that the previous owner sent me. Its from when he moved from Virginia to California in Feb 1997, and its of Flopsy facing the wrong way on a 4 lane highway in the Cascade mountains - well, I say 4 lanes, but you can only see 1 cos of all the snow....

[Image: 97.jpg]