Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flood damaged cars coming onto used market
Hi all,

this might be of interest to anyone thinking of buying a used car (a normal one, not a D). It was emailed to us today, shortly after we were offered (through the trade) a 2007 Mercedes C220CDi Avantgarde Estate (worth over £20K) for £11750......the description went on to say it was flood damaged....

*snip*

GROUP USED CARS: FLOOD DAMAGE WARNING

URGENT INFORMATION REGARDING FLOOD DAMAGED VEHICLES

We have already had many flood damaged cars offered to us in part-exchange and countless more will follow. Damage varies from partial submersion through to complete engine destruction caused by hydraulic locks breathing in water.

Insurance companies are usually categorising claims as CAT B on HPI's VCAR register, i.e. for scrap and dismantling only. There is a real concern over health and safety due to contaminated water and lasting, and potentially dangerous, damage to the complex electronic microprocessors controlling all the safety systems on the car, so they cannot be safely put back on the road.

BEWARE! Many third-party insured vehicles will NEVER appear on the HPI register and so flood damage can only be spotted through thorough appraisals - very risky with internet valuations?

Look out for:-

obvious damp, especially condensation in the instrument cluster
silt and/or sand remaining in rubber trims and finishers
silt and/or sand remaining in areas which can contain water such as door pockets, glove box, ashtray, spare wheel well etc.
water damaged service book or handbook pack
warning lights illuminating at random; or those that do not go out with the engine running
engine oil contamination, or engine oil level suspiciously high
silt in the engine bay
engine rough running indicating internal damage
gritty sounding brakes on road test
My advice is to appraise carefully, test drive every time, and NEVER rely on HPI. In the past flood damaged cars have circulated the marketplace for months and unwary dealerships have been caught with unsaleable stock. In the event you do purchase one of these vehicles it should be offered at auction with full declaration on the vehicle details form as "SERIOUS FLOOD DAMAGE - VEHICLE SOLD FOR PARTS ONLY"
*snip*

Regards,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
hi Claire

i sometimes buy cat D (or x) through the trade which are normally ex lease or insurance cars.

minor flood damage i do not see too much problem, ie just over door bottoms would only really affect the carpets etc. most other items are pretty well sealed, and even electrics are pretty good if not used untill dried out.

hence the ones i have seen are Cat D, ie a vectra 05 low miles for £2k or so.

i think they offer good value, but obviously should be resold declaring cat D.
Cat D for anyone not knowing minor damage, car repairable within value of car.

Cat B should not as far as i am aware have the standard log book, and are for spares only to trade

Cat C is declared on the log book to any potential buyer.

Cat A to be crushed.

higher water i think would perhaps affect the airbags, tensioners etc which are replaceable, and the ecu should highlight a fault if working ok.

obviously with some the engine needs a rebuild especially if running when hitting the water, and depending on the level of the air intake (a 206 i had infront of the front wheel low down!)

that said, i went to one auction and they had an MGF with water still in the glove box, and smelt like a pond inside.
would not start (after a new ecu)

dealers as far as i know will not take a cad D in px so would need to be sold/declared at auction (and hence has lower value)

There is an auction near us that will sell declared Cat D.

i would buy another as you can have a 20K car for less than half price, drive for a year and sell back at auction for more than you paid.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
hi

just to give an instance of available to viewers out of interest if nothing else

just looked 'trade only'
mini one cat C minor flood just above cill, no seat damage engine not running presently £2k

merc clk 270 light flood (cill) mainly caprets etc, leather ok 70k on clock 03 plate cad D not running presently £4900 (10 hours to end of auction)
i guess would this be over a 20k motor? say allow 2k on an engine overhaul.
does look pretty immaculate

wplate freelander 66k on clock flood cat C but has keys/starts/drives £1300. would need a vic check but a cheap car to run into the ground! or park in the centre of brum.

obviously these could not be traded in at a dealer
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Apparently they are sent to Poland for 'repair' because of cheap rates.
Just something I heard from a trader.

I wonder how bad they will corrode form the inside out?

NickT.
steve.s Wrote:merc clk 270 light flood (cill) mainly caprets etc, leather ok 70k on clock 03 plate cad D not running presently £4900 (10 hours to end of auction)
i guess would this be over a 20k motor? say allow 2k on an engine overhaul.
does look pretty immaculate

old CLK270's like that with high mileage are low teens if that in the trade, so one on VCAR with flood damage wont be worth much more then that auction price you've got there.

I guess the worry is, 'unscrupulous' dealers passing these cars off as being ok and not telling customers - who might not know about HPi or hw to contact them - that they are on VCAR (Vehicle Condition Alert Register).

Cheers,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie