Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Prepurchase Advice, etc
All,

Just a quick reminder that PJ Grady (Europe) offer free prepurchase assessments and advice - and we'll happily help advise on shipping, fair purchase prices, etc.
We do this as a service to the DeLorean community - and there's no obligation to buy anything from us - or pay us a dime.

The reason I'm posting this is because I've just been speaking to another victim of a misadvertised import - which will take megabucks to get right!
The previous owner neglected to mention a few key facts about the car - and the new owner rushed in without looking thinking it was a steal.

A quick email to us would have revealed the cars history - as it was previously serviced/condemned at PJ Grady in New York!

Best regards

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:The reason I'm posting this is because I've just been speaking to another victim of a misadvertised import - which will take megabucks to get right!
The previous owner neglected to mention a few key facts about the car - and the new owner rushed in without looking thinking it was a steal.

Oh Dear... I hope all is not too expensive for whoever this is.
oh dear.......... was the car a US purchase or UK one?

Phill brought Sorbet from a dealer in Long Island NY - he phoned PJ Grady NY to see if they knew of it, and luckilly Rob Grady said that they had looked after the car for many years and could vouch for the car.

I hope the buyer of this particular car isnt put off the whole DeLorean expericence because of this Sad
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Im honestly blown away by the overall service you offer at PJ, when my bank account is ready, its contents are yours haha! Big Grin
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
Expensive? Really severe frame rot I'm afraid. Rather than pay the money to have it fixed properly - the previous owner bought loads of black Hammerite and tried to hide the problem. Our main concern is safety - as the front crumple tube is held on by little more than rust.

Thanks for the kind words Jonny - feel free to send me your bank details anyway - just in case!

On a loosely related note - I'm putting something together that should be of interest to prospective owners (especially you Jonny - and Mike H)...I just need to agree a few things with Chris - and I'll make a posting on here over the next day or so....

Thanks

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:Expensive? Really severe frame rot I'm afraid. Rather than pay the money to have it fixed properly - the previous owner bought loads of black Hammerite and tried to hide the problem. Our main concern is safety - as the front crumple tube is held on by little more than rust.

thats not good at all Darren - I take it this car must have been a US import then? Would it have had a UK MoT with the rot you describe? Actually, thinking about it, could a D have a rotten chassis like the car you describe and get an MoT? Its not as if they rust on the sills or jacking points like normal cars. I've had to have Guinney patched up on the last 3 MoT's Sad
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Sorry Claire - this was a US import.

The front crumple tube / frame extension supports the front end of the car - without it, the whole front of the car is at risk of falling off!!!
Wouldn't (and shouldn't) get through a UK MOT. The front frame extension piece itself is the best part of $1000 - but to make things worse - the frame that it welds to has to be good - otherwise you're just welding onto rust - and it's pointless.

If we have any pictures - I'll post them on here.

The point I was making is that you don't have to buy a car blind - today we have the luxury of the DOC, the DML - PJ Grady in the UK and Ed in the Netherlands - all of which are great sources of information - or just sounding boards to check that what you're looking at is a sensible buy given your budget and mechanical experience. We've seen too many people plough all of their savings into problem cars - which has tainted their whole experience. A good quality DeLorean is a real pleasure to own - sometimes it's worth waiting that bit longer - doing your homework and getting the best car you can sensibly afford.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
I'm replying to my own post!!!!

As per earlier mention....please refer to the 'Events' section under 'PJ Grady - Future/Prospective Owners Tech Session'.

Thanks

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
So what everyone is saying is dont buy a car unseen, or in other words dont do what i done :oops: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Seems like a familiar story for a lot of UK owners... i was only 'lucky' because a couple of guys on the DML said they would look at mine pre purchase. But i could name at least six cars that were imported 'unseen'

I feel this subject and the posting above should go into the next DOC magazine.
Seems like a familiar story for a lot of UK owners... i was only 'lucky' because a couple of guys on the DML said they would look at mine pre purchase. But i could name at least six cars that were imported 'unseen'

I feel this subject, the posting above and

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1190

should go into the next DOC magazine, its great that potential new owners are being supported in this way
what i done was i admit a wee bit silly but it didnt work out to bad in the end, but with hindsight theres no way i would do it again, unless the missus says your not having one of those :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
bozzzydmc Wrote:I feel this subject, the posting above and

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1190

should go into the next DOC magazine, its great that potential new owners are being supported in this way

Consider it done :wink:
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo