Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedo problems
Hi all i'm not sure where to post this question. So move it if you want. On my Trip to Le manns a couple of weeks ago, my speedo failed as i was about 15 miles south of Cherbourg. It didn't matter though as i was using my sat nav for the speed in km's anyway. That was the only problem i had on the trip except for trying to drive down the Mullsanne straight on mad friday. Approximately everyone wanted a photo. Swwwweeeeet.
Anyway. I have looked in the manual and the is no imformation on speedo's. Has anyone had any dealings with or fixed or any tips for me as to fixing the thing. When it failed the needle started to sort of bounce up and down the clock for about a mile then it just went down to 0mph. Many thanks in advance.
Dan. The tree man
Not here for a long time. Just here for a good time
Live up to all you know. Nothing more. Nothing less
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
Hi, I moved this into Suspension/ Steering as this is where the speedo connects to.

Anyway, this is how the speedo works.

Remove front left wheel there is a beige plastic insert.
In the centre of the insert there is a square hole.
In this the angle drive is drive.
This is located at the back of the hub.
A speed cable connects to here that goes through the bulkhead.
This speedo cable connects to the lambda counter.
From the lambda counter there is another speedo cable to the instrument binnacle speedometer itself.

Chances are the angle drive has gone so remove the wheel and then see if the angle drive is still working by moving it.

You could also remove the lower speedo cable from the angle drive and then spin the cable using an electric cordless drill spinning it anti clockwise.
If the speedo then moves OK then it will be the angle drive.
If not then keep working up to eliminate the other cables etc.

NickT.
Yes unfortunatley i have recently had to renew my angle drive which lasted all of 250 miles before 'snaping' when i reversed out of the garage .

FYI: DMCH are getting this part 'improved' and should be out Sept / Oct time .. im holding out for my warranty replacement part till then.
At one time Rob Grady offered what he called a "hardcore" version of the angle drive with improved internals and some other features. I don't know if it's still available from Rob but I was lucky enough to buy a brand new one off eBay about 4 years ago for WAY below the RRP and it's never missed a beat. Might be worth investigating?
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Guys,

Just been out for a trip prior to eurotech and Ive noticed ive got a crazy speedo!

Goes through phases, steady needle then sways and sometimes just doesn't move.

I'll do the above checks which Nick T recommends but if I do need a new angle drive, anyone got one laying around that they are willing to sell and can bring to eurotech?

Appreciate it's not the type of part which you would have spare but worth a shout I guess? :wink:
duff angle drives seem to be a common theme on the DeLorean, I've been
thorough quite a few on Flopsy Sad

My speedo packed up for the umpteenth time on the way back from PJ Grady
the last time I drove my car back in January.

It will be a long time before I'm ever able to drive my car again (if at all), so
I aint gonna worry about it for now Sad
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie