Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When importing your DMC, did you view it in person?
Hi everyone, i'm new Smile

I'm currently saving for a DMC 12 and hope to have enough money to purchase one next year, I was wondering if the people who have imported theirs from the US - did you go and have a look at the car personally before purchase?
Ideally yes in person... But in my case a couple of guys on the DML in the states went to look at the car i got and gave their opinion on it.

I personally wouldnt buy a car without someone 'Knowledgeable' looking at it first ..its a lot of cash to part with ... especially for an overseas seller who might not be 'honest '
If you take a look at the DML (DeLorean Mailing List US) there are numerous owners over there that would happily check the car over for you and verify if the money being asked matches the condition etc. This is assuming of course they are reasonably near to the car that is for sale.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
There seems to be a surplus of DMC's on ebay USA at present - in various states, Idealy i'ds like an early car with the hood grooves etc and no black stripe, plus a good condition stock engine would be good.

I just hope the exhange rate of $ to £'s stays the way it is till next year! Big Grin
Hiya,

when I bought my car through ebay in the USA, all I had to go on was the sellers lengthy description and lots of photos. I knew my car was a shed, but it was still scary wiring $4500 to some guy in America that I'd had 2 telephone conversations and exchanged emails with Shock

All worked out ok in the end tho, but I know there are quite a few people in Europe and the US who have had their fingers burnt by dishonest people utilising Ebay for fraudulent purposes Sad

Good luck with your search - anyway, whats wrong with side stripes? They hide (some of) Flopsy's dents!! :wink:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Claire Usher Wrote:Hiya,

when I bought my car through ebay in the USA, all I had to go on was the sellers lengthy description and lots of photos. I knew my car was a shed, but it was still scary wiring $4500 to some guy in America that I'd had 2 telephone conversations and exchanged emails with Shock

All worked out ok in the end tho, but I know there are quite a few people in Europe and the US who have had their fingers burnt by dishonest people utilising Ebay for fraudulent purposes Sad

Good luck with your search - anyway, whats wrong with side stripes? They hide (some of) Flopsy's dents!! :wink:

$4500? wow, did your car need alot of work when you got it over?

P.S: Nothing wrong with the stripes.... I just think it looks better without :wink:
Quote:$4500? wow, did your car need alot of work when you got it over?
you could say - no leather left on the seats, exhaust gastkets shot, clutch inop, brakes inop, drivers door damaged, drivers elec window missing, front fascia busted, both front wings damaged, every panel dented or damaged somewhere, brake fluid in driver's footwell, battery acid in passenger floor (prev owner put new battery in but put it on its side), fuel gauge inop (and its still crap now even with a new sender), headliners knackered, dashboard cracked, binnacle cracked, vinyl missing off top of centre console, rear fascia damaged, fuse box melted, no air con, no blower motor, windows and mirrors inop, gas struts inop, c/locking inop, err............. the headlights worked tho!!! :lol: At the time (June 2002), $4500 was about £2860 (+ taxes and shipping, she owed me £4100 to my door) I reckon, she probably owes me to date, about £8-8500, and I've got about another £2000 to go to get her finished - when I can afford it of course!

Heres some pics of Flopsy when I first got her and one that the seller sent me ........... jeez, what was I thinking!! :lol:

[Image: trailer.jpg]

[Image: fascia.jpg]

[Image: docks.jpg]

[Image: NS.jpg]

Quote:P.S: Nothing wrong with the stripes.... I just think it looks better without :wink:
hmm..........but then again on the ole Flopmeister they are serving a purpose right now and stop some of the "have you seen that dent you've got there?" comments at car shows :wink:
Claire Usher Wrote:
Quote:$4500? wow, did your car need alot of work when you got it over?
you could say - no leather left on the seats, exhaust gastkets shot, clutch inop, brakes inop, drivers door damaged, drivers elec window missing, front fascia busted, both front wings damaged, every panel dented or damaged somewhere, brake fluid in driver's footwell, battery acid in passenger floor (prev owner put new battery in but put it on its side), fuel gauge inop (and its still crap now even with a new sender), headliners knackered, dashboard cracked, binnacle cracked, vinyl missing off top of centre console, rear fascia damaged, fuse box melted, no air con, no blower motor, windows and mirrors inop, gas struts inop, c/locking inop, err............. the headlights worked tho!!! :lol: At the time (June 2002), $4500 was about £2860 (+ taxes and shipping, she owed me £4100 to my door) I reckon, she probably owes me to date, about £8-8500, and I've got about another £2000 to go to get her finished - when I can afford it of course!

Poor old Flopsy, but it seems she's being taken care of Big Grin
I havent seen those pictures for a while Shock Big Grin
Daniel Shane Wrote:I havent seen those pictures for a while Shock Big Grin

lol :lol: well her back end looks different now thanks to you :wink:

That 83 exhaust is really good Big Grin
Well i brought mine after being told not to,it took me 14 months to restore,but imo was worth it. i can honestly say it was the best purchase i have ever made. moral of the story dont say dont, cos i will :lol: :lol:
TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Claire Usher Wrote:clutch inop,

Well to be fair, it was driven by an American............. :wink:
Life begins at 90 degrees....
TheJoyofSix Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:clutch inop,
Well to be fair, it was driven by an American............. :wink:
hahahahaha ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm still saving for mine.
But what gets me it's a hell of a lot of saving for a couple years with out seeing anything Sad .
Guess I'm just inpatient. :roll: :roll:
Cheers
Martyn Reed
D.O.C#491
EX Vin# 6064
Martyn Wrote:I'm still saving for mine.
But what gets me it's a hell of a lot of saving for a couple years with out seeing anything Sad .
Guess I'm just inpatient. :roll: :roll:

Well, i've just went freelance in London and started up my own small company - so fingers crossed I should have enough spare cash next year to buy a nice example of one...

...now all I have to do is find a way of claiming it as tax relief :oops: Big Grin