Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooling fans not working
I'm having over heating problems as the cooling fans aren't kicking in when the engine gets up to temperature. The temperature sender unit is new. Wondered if it's a relay problem or is there another switch that turns the fans on. The fan fail switch isn't lighting but that might just be the bulb.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ps would like to know how to get onto the locked How To's part of the forum.

Cheers
Tom
DOC372
tom
vin 7155
DOC372
tom inman Wrote:Ps would like to know how to get onto the locked How To's part of the forum.

Cheers
Tom
DOC372

This is currently a work in progress section of the forum....but worth waiting for again Smile
Im sure one of our techy guys could answer this, as ive just had a similar problem. All it turned out to be was a spade connector that had come out of the relay board. This is the cheap fan fix mod as far as im aware.

Regarding the "How To" section. You already have access to read it, but there is nothing in it at the moment. Mike Bosworth did a few write-ups a while ago, but inadvertantly forgot that threads older than 30 days with no activity, automatically get deleted. So.....he has to do them all again! Shock
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
tom inman Wrote:I'm having over heating problems as the cooling fans aren't kicking in when the engine gets up to temperature. The temperature sender unit is new. Wondered if it's a relay problem or is there another switch that turns the fans on. The fan fail switch isn't lighting but that might just be the bulb.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ps would like to know how to get onto the locked How To's part of the forum.

Cheers
Tom
DOC372

Temperature sending unit??...do you mean the rad fan switch ie : 'otterstat' in the engine bay coolant pipe matey??

If so :-

If you link the two wires across that feed the otterstat the fans should come on straight away, if this is the case then the otterstat is duff Sad

Try this and let us know the outcome.
See also:

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175

If you let us know the outcome we could progress from there.

Have you got a circuit diagram?

NickT.
Shorted out the otterstat switch and the fans don't come on. Have seen wiring diagarm but can't make head nor tail of it. Looking at the link that Nick T posted for me on the electrical section, what do you actually have to do for the fan fail replacement mod. Can't figure out what the jumper recall wire is. Will try the multimetre tomorrow. Can you just have the fans running all the time. Do you need any special parts?

Sorry for sounding dumb and always asking loads of questions that you've probably answered a million times before. I appreciate it though and one of these days I'll hopefully know what I'm doing and be able to do more than just clean it without asking for help. Big Grin
tom
vin 7155
DOC372
Had a play with the relay box at the weekend and found a lot of dodgy wiring. Cooling fans now come on when I short the ottastat out but it's a brand new unit. Are these prone to failure or is there any way I can test it if I put it in boiling water or something?

By the way been reading the posts on the replacement relay/fuse compartment. Has anybody come up with the best one to get as i'm thinking of updating it and I'm a bit confused with all the different types.

Cheers
TomI
tom
vin 7155
DOC372
boiling water should do the trick

NickT.