Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic Governor
After a tedious investigation into why 10302 won't change gear, we have found that one coil on the small generator within the governor is open circuit. The other reads approx 180 ohm and I guess they both should be the same. It doesn't look like a repairable unit.
Its a bit of a long shot but does anyone on here know if is possible to get hold of a governor? Just the casing with the generator would be fine. Any pointers gratefully received.
VIN 10302
(17 Feb 2024, 15:11)sc15 Wrote: After a tedious investigation into why 10302 won't change gear, we have found that one coil on the small generator within the governor is open circuit. The other reads approx 180 ohm and I guess they both should be the same. It doesn't look like a repairable unit.
Its a bit of a long shot but does anyone on here know if is possible to get hold of a governor? Just the casing with the generator would be fine. Any pointers gratefully received.

The governor can be rebuilt. There might be someone on the forum that can do them. Had mine done through DeloreanGo.

Auto Transmission Computer Governor Rebuild Service - DeLorean Parts UK (deloreango.com)
June '81 No. 1867
(17 Feb 2024, 22:19)Justwatching Wrote:
(17 Feb 2024, 15:11)sc15 Wrote: After a tedious investigation into why 10302 won't change gear, we have found that one coil on the small generator within the governor is open circuit. The other reads approx 180 ohm and I guess they both should be the same. It doesn't look like a repairable unit.

The governor can be rebuilt. There might be someone on the forum that can do them. Had mine done through DeloreanGo.

Auto Transmission Computer Governor Rebuild Service - DeLorean Parts UK (deloreango.com)

Hi, yes I have contacted rebuild services but they only take care of the printed circuit boards, my issue is with the small generator inside the governor and finding one is proving rather difficult. So I'm now working on manual control  for the governor, sort of paddle shift style.
VIN 10302
Keep it stock would be my tip.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(26 Feb 2024, 13:27)Chris P Wrote: Keep it stock would be my tip.

Hi Chris
Yes I would dearly love to keep it stock especially as it has less than 1900 miles with clean original paint on the chassis, hence my postings to try and find a spare governor or a housing with a working generator.  Any mods to enable manual control of the gearbox are only a temporary solution to enable the car to be used whilst the search for a governor continues.
Steve
VIN 10302
DickyH on here used to rebuild the auto gearbox governors, I'm not sure if its something he still does?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(27 Feb 2024, 16:59)Guinney1971 Wrote: DickyH on here used to rebuild the auto gearbox governors, I'm not sure if its something he still does?

Hi Claire, yes I have contacted Rich and we have an ongoing dialogue: now trying some careful surgery to expose the wires inside the generator and check connections. May or may not be successful.
VIN 10302