Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing 13 lines inc fuel Filter
Winter hours and finally replacing all 13 Fuel lines, Injectors and spark plugs!  All going well jumped fuel pump and no leaks.  Now onto the dredded Fuel filter and struggling to disconnect from the hard fuel line.  I was hoping to fit the new updated elbow that has Copper O ring rather than ptfe.  Any tips other than WD40 or is it worth cutting the old fuel line unscrewing the old filter and not chance snapping the hard line that disappears into the Chassis.   If the hard fuel line was damaged what is the solution without taking the body off???

Thanks
Chris. VIN 2436
(07 Feb 2024, 14:13)Chris Collingwood Wrote: is it worth cutting the old fuel line unscrewing the old filter and not chance snapping the hard line that disappears into the Chassis.

Yes.

The hard line was cut on mine by a previous owner and I really wish they hadn't. It's got a short section of rubber line which I've found difficult to seal. It doesn't seem to last long either - I replaced the rubber section 2-3 years ago when I first purchase the car and it's already starting to crack. Definitely not a good solution.
June '81 No. 1867
I believe one of the US vendors has a solution using a flexi pipe to replace the hard line to the filter. Just using care and perseverance and you will free it off.......... getting it to seal again is a different matter! Though Chris M has a good solution.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
My advice would be to leave that lower elbow joint on the hardline alone. Unbolt the top connection to the fuel filter only, loosen off the bracket which holds the filter itself, and then unscrew the filter from the elbow. Refitting is the reverse of that. I used copper crush washers on the banjo bolt fitting at the top of the filter. You can't use ptfe tape there, but you CAN use ptfe tape on the elbow thread into the lower filter housing connection without any fear.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Sound advise! I will let you know how I go on
Thanks
Chris
My finding in this area was that the threaded section on the top of the new filter was shallower than the old one. In other words, the bolt would bottom out before the top sealed at the under-head surface. Solution was very simple, 2 copper washers instead of one under the banjo. But if the top won;t seal, then try this rather than brute force as there'll be no way to take up that much gap.

I was able to get the elbow off on mine ,but only because the body was lifted off anyway, I doubt I'd have managed with restricted access, and fear would have prevented it anyway!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126