Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First show!
Hi all,

After a long resurrection and a few "test drives" (in reality, confidence building drives), I took 4566 to Goodwood on Sunday for their Goodwood 75 Breakfast club. The drive, especially home, highlighted a couple of issues; in particular that she doesn't like staying in 5th gear for some reason... otherwise, a lot of heavy traffic meant the cooling system got a work out, so that's at least something positive.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-cover...fast-club/ - she's on the site!

[Image: 52954142072_fef3b72355.jpg]Goodwood 75th by Dan Willis, on Flickr
[Image: 52954878634_57bc4f04fc.jpg]Goodwood 75th by Dan Willis, on Flickr
[Image: 52954878729_3cfc3b3b20.jpg]Goodwood 75th by Dan Willis, on Flickr
[Image: 52954142212_f490f489ea.jpg]Goodwood 75th by Dan Willis, on Flickr
[Image: 52954142242_d34ca0fd3c.jpg]Goodwood 75th by Dan Willis, on Flickr
[Image: 52954142287_302180f905.jpg]Goodwood 75th by Dan Willis, on Flickr

On returning home I started taking her apart! Haha... not really, but I had to sort some bits out; I had no aerial reception (fixed), my driver's side door lights failed (the connector fell off) and I couldn't get the engine cover open (maybe heat?; it's working now...). Also, my gear gaiter tore along one side and it appears to be glued to the center console rather than via metal clips. Little mysteries.
All part of the classic-car ownership fun. It was a very positive morning, especially representing a year on the Goodwood grid!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Never been to Goodwood. At least i don't think i have, but that tunnel in your picture does seem memorable somehow.

(5th gear issue). Is the detent ball bearing in place on the transmission? (Not sure if you've had the transmission apart or not)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(06 Jun 2023, 12:36)Rissy Wrote: Awesome!  Thanks for sharing.  Never been to Goodwood.  At least i don't think i have, but that tunnel in your picture does seem memorable somehow.

(5th gear issue).  Is the detent ball bearing in place on the transmission?  (Not sure if you've had the transmission apart or not)

That's great - I've never been to Goodwood either but I know it comes highly recommended.  Do you reckon it could be a goer for a club excursion at some point Dan?  (I'd need something likel that as an impetus to actually go, as it's a fair trek from here!)

Looking mint there, you must be really proud of it.

Awesome Renault 5 Turbo beside you there, and it that a Peerless you're behind?
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Great stuff Dan, I'm sure you'll sort the niggles out in time.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(06 Jun 2023, 12:36)Rissy Wrote: Awesome!  Thanks for sharing.  Never been to Goodwood.  At least i don't think i have, but that tunnel in your picture does seem memorable somehow.

(5th gear issue).  Is the detent ball bearing in place on the transmission?  (Not sure if you've had the transmission apart or not)

The transmission has been out and opened and the detent ball was actually replaced; I'll be doing some investigation; it could be adjustment (though less likely, it's worth a nip on the nut) or the big "nut" may be loose. I don't fancy draining the gearbox oil but needs must.

(07 Jun 2023, 09:43)Rich Hanlon Wrote:

That's great - I've never been to Goodwood either but I know it comes highly recommended.  Do you reckon it could be a goer for a club excursion at some point Dan?  (I'd need something likel that as an impetus to actually go, as it's a fair trek from here!)

Looking mint there, you must be really proud of it.

Awesome Renault 5 Turbo beside you there, and it that a Peerless you're behind?

There's always a club event on at Goodwood; I think for us the question will be that it's as far south as one can go before drowning, so for much of the club it'd be a long ol' jaunt. I'm happy to look in to it and report back if the general mass thinks it worth the question.

I'm sat, there, between the R5 (engine in the back!) and a 205 GTi. The row kinda went through the ages as it was the Goodwood 75th; I was obviously very much in the 80s. I was in good company!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

good for you Dan.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian