Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel accumulator!
Anyone else had problems getting the fuel accumulator out?

The accumulator is out but hanging by the pipework.
One pipe has flaked away completely leaving the white fabric exposed, the other spilt, so these have to be unscrewed from the fuel system as well.

But will they unscrew after 25 years!? No!
Because of the small space, it's only possible to use stubby 17 and 19mm spanners.....

Am I just a 12 stone weakling?

Now the car can't be moved it's gotta happen here on the driveway!

Thanks for any help!

Mat
DOC 100
DOC 100 Vin#3866 Ashington, West Sussex
http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=5442

Is this any use to you Mat?
Yes, thank you!
BUT, it's the other 17mm nuts I'm trying to get off - not the ones directly on the accumulator.....the other end of both rubber piping....they're a devil....
Bigger muscles needed?
Soaking in WD40 of something?

Cheers,
Mat
any chance of putting a picture up?

NickT
They really are a sod to do unless you have done a few, easier in the factory as no body on, have you removed the tray at the back theres a cover underneath? TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
No I didn't see the cover....will find it as I'm sure it would help if it wasn't there....maybe it'll give me more room to play in?

I'll upload some pictures.....watch this space....

Thanks guys,

Mat
Frenchy
Quote from DML

"Note that when disconnecting the hose fittings when replacing the hoses, you must hold them from above with a wrench (remove the little coin tray at the rear of the console and tear out the access panel) or you'll twist/kink the steel fuel lines. Since the lines are mounted to the top of the frame but beneath the fiberglass body, you can imagine what you'd have to do to replace them."

Take a few pics of this ive yet to see a picture of the access taken off / lines below.
Hi again.....sorry it's been so long...

Okay, so i can't upload pictures to this website, but I have some to email to anyone who might help?

NO pictures from above yet, as I haven't investigated through the access panel behind the coin tray.....yet.....watch this space when I go in.....!

Cheers, Mat...
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538

Have you tried this from Chris ??
When I did mine, I cut the pipes off near the joins, used a socket & ratchet to remove the fittings, then replaced the pipes with flexible stainless braided ones. You can pretty much feed them where you want then.
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
Hi guys...

Okay, done it....

You're right, remove the centre console, remove the glued down rubber strip and all the joins are exposed! Nuts can then be secured to prevent fuel pipe kinking and 25 years worth of resistance finally gave way!

The main pipe outer rubber fell off and the pipe out the rear of the accumulator was brittle and leaking.....going to be be replaced of course...

Thanks for the advice on posting photos...and so, here are some pretty ones of the accumulator:-

Thanks again guys...

(Just gotta pop it all back together again when the new pipework arrives!)

[Image: th_Accumulator1.jpg] From Below....
[Image: th_Accumulator2.jpg]
[Image: th_Accumulator3.jpg] Just the nylon braiding left!
[Image: th_Accumulator4.jpg] In through the centre console....
[Image: th_Accumulator5.jpg]
[Image: th_Accumulator6.jpg]
[Image: th_Accumulator7.jpg] Remove all the centre console and remove the whole rubber strip...
[Image: th_Accumulator8.jpg] All joints exposed!
Hey !! Well done buddy!

Great Pics as well cheers!
Matt,

You haven't got any pics of how you jacked up the De have you?
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

[Image: signature.jpg]

Emagine Productions

W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
Hi Stuart,

When I used to do accumulator's the hard way I just normally jacked the back for the car up as high as you can safely get it. Then you can just about get in and do it.

If you have access to a lift it makes the job fairly easy. If you want make you can use mine :wink:

Dan.
Cheers for the offer Dan, may well take you up on that sometime actually.

Also looking at this to complete the garage gear in my barn.

http://www.levo-artis.com/index.html
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

[Image: signature.jpg]

Emagine Productions

W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk