Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedometer magnet(ism)
Hi all,

In all my years around DeLoreans, I've not come across this one.
So, first question is; anyone know any cross references or how the inner workings of the speedo work?

Here's the issue. My speedo needle doth not move. The mileage increases (both barrels) so before anyone mentions it, it's not angle drive or cable related Wink. To add, I have the speedo out and have spun it up with a drill and, nada.

The speedo itself is a metal cup/magnet affair. The cup is attached (with spring) to the needle. If I spin the cup, the needle moves.
The cable-end has the magnet on it. No matter how I spin that, it doesn't drag the cup around (but the mileage increases so I know it's doing something right).

The question is, before I start dismantling it and realise I can't buy a new one (really), is it likely I just need to remagnetise the magnet? That is, if I can. Otherwise, is there something else that should be in this that might be missing? (it really is just a cup and a metal rectangle that spins within it).

Cheers!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

There is a speedo expert in Nottingham who is supposed tp be very good.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(07 Feb 2023, 08:46)Chris P Wrote: There is a speedo expert in Nottingham who is supposed tp be very good.

Thanks Chris; Google suggests there are dozens so I'll need to narrow that down a bit.

I've been referred to one in Glostershire somewhere, but between insured shipping and parts, I'm looking at "new" money ($€500) so I'm still looking in to options.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)