Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gliding Weekend? April/ May 2023.
Hello all,

As some of you know I've done a small amount of gliding as a pastime and even briefly made it to solo flying this year, having completed the first stage of training.  For various reasons I haven't been since June, and in the winter it can be a bit hit and miss as it is obviously strongly weather-related!

However I have been wondering about trying to arrange a DOC weekend at the Gliding Centre which is the one I had been going to, based in Husbands Bosworth near Lutterworth.

The Gliding Centre | One of the UKs leading Gliding Clubs

I do know they occasionally host various clubs and have basic accommodation, a cafe/ restaurant doing breakfast, lunch and evening meals, and bar on the airfield, plus camping pitches with electric hookup.  Hopefully weather depending (again, obviously) there would be the chance to take a number of trial flights on the Saturday.  Depending on the conditions these can either be winch-launched or towed by a light aircraft, which means a higher release and more opportunity to find thermals.

I had been thinking Late April or May next year on a non-bank holiday weekend (as these weekends are typically busy with gliding club members) and can therefore be difficult to get flights in.

Anyway, if there is a quorum of members with an interest I shall go ahead and make enquiries.  Just a conceptual idea at the moment, which a tentative phone call has indicated is theoretically possible. 

I don't know what they might offer in terms of costs or accommodation fees but the 'book price' is usually about £10 for camping, £20 for a room, some static caravans etc, and trial flights are about £60 for a winch.

If you fancy it, reply here, and I'll see if we can muster the numbers; then I would have to approach them to try to arrange a date and some better cost estimates.

Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
This might be quite interesting....and just up the road from Rugby, so convenient for me to stay at home too.

Although i'm announcing interest with caution because I'm not sure how my nerves may fair attempting to do such an undertaking!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Quote:Although i'm announcing interest with caution because I'm not sure how my nerves may fair attempting to do such an undertaking!
It's ok mate I wouldn't be driving it!
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(16 Nov 2022, 20:56)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:Although i'm announcing interest with caution because I'm not sure how my nerves may fair attempting to do such an undertaking!
It's ok mate I wouldn't be driving it!

WELL!

...That's OK then.  Smile
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Ha, no, neither would I!

I'd need a fair bit to get back to solo now, and even if I did, I'd need several more qualifications before I could carry passengers!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126