Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autobox rebuild/replacement
My car has an autobox problem.
I had my doubts about the integrity of the box when I bought the project car, judging from the fact that the project had a spare governor.

The first indication of my "problem" was when driving it home.
The car had developed a whine and initially I put it down to the silencer box which gave up up the ghost. It drove ok for a few miles, however, I eventually lost drive in all gears and had to be recovered by the AA.

I later found out that by removing fuse 13 I could get drive in 3rd? and reverse. My limited DeLorean knowledge suggested to me a governor problem?

I changed the governor with my spare,tested by electronics guru Tony Cole 

Removing the sump, I checked the ohmage on the solenoids and they are fine. I installed a New filter and fresh fillup of 4.5 litres of ATF.

Fuse 13 is fine.

After it was all buttoned up, when I select 1 or 2, there is a high pitched whine with no drive.

When I Select drive or reverse, it drives but just 3rd (I guess) and reverse (see later video).

So I'm thinking that the gearbox is Fuc .....faulty?

The photo shows a small round pin (next to a 10mm spanner) that was stuck to a magnet in the sump.

This is the first auto car I've had in 48 years of driving just manual/stick cars, so this problem is not one I can think through

So my question is .... are there any recommendations for somebody in the UK, that I could drop the box to for a rebuild please?

Edit. I tried to upload a video showing the problem but to no avail.

Here is a link to the video. Cheers

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5uc9pPyxos6gVY68A

Attached Files Image(s)

Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
Rose?? Near Nottingham..they put a new diff in mine...if they are still going.

http://www.rosetransmissions.co.uk. yes they are!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Also speak to Rich Hanlon, he's got an automatic and had his transmission rebuilt - also
DickyH might still do/have some auto transmission governor's too.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(04 Oct 2022, 17:37)Chris P Wrote: Rose?? Near Nottingham..they put a new diff in mine...if they are still going.

http://www.rosetransmissions.co.uk.   yes they are!

Cheers CHris. I've messaged them, asking for a quote.

(04 Oct 2022, 18:13)Guinney1971 Wrote: Also speak to Rich Hanlon, he's got an automatic and had his transmission rebuilt - also
DickyH might still do/have some auto transmission governor's too.

Thank you. I have messaged Rich.
Hi, yes mine had erratic behaviour which in the end I think I diagnosed as slipping brake bands. I removed the transmission with Rich Hutchinsons help and took it to The Automatic Gearbox Company in Middleton, Manchester. It was just opposite the Sarsons vinegar factory I remember that! It is no longer there but there are 2 other companies of the same name, one in Oldham and one in Hatton, Derbyshire,  which is nearish to me and seems to have good reviews. At the time I think they said despite Renault lineage it was a pretty standard GM type box.

In the end I'm not sure I saved anything by taking the gearbox out in terms of their charges but obviously saved on transporting a dead car. 

It has behaved itself since, but I have had problems when after fiddling about I ended up toasting the governor cable over the exhaust which causes all sort of shorts. 

It's worth checking this for melted sections, thankfully when thus happened it didn't cause any lasting damage.

As for the governor computer, Rich Hutchinson has looked over mine and fitted the missing protection diodes to hopefully prevent future dropouts.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(04 Oct 2022, 19:25)Rich Hanlon Wrote: Hi, yes mine had erratic behaviour which in the end I think I diagnosed as slipping brake bands. I removed the transmission with Rich Hutchinsons help and took it to The Automatic Gearbox Company in Middleton, Manchester. It was just opposite the Sarsons vinegar factory I remember that! It is no longer there but there are 2 other companies of the same name, one in Oldham and one in Hatton, Derbyshire,  which is nearish to me and seems to have good reviews. At the time I think they said despite Renault lineage it was a pretty standard GM type box.

In the end I'm not sure I saved anything by taking the gearbox out in terms of their charges but obviously saved on transporting a dead car. 

It has behaved itself since, but I have had problems when after fiddling about I ended up toasting the governor cable over the exhaust which causes all sort of shorts. 

It's worth checking this for melted sections, thankfully when thus happened it didn't cause any lasting damage.

As for the governor computer, Rich Hutchinson has looked over mine and fitted the missing protection diodes to hopefully prevent future dropouts.

Here we go. 2007!!

I suspect the reason it was burnt out was that it had been driven for a prolonged period with a faulty guvnor rather than anything else. Which I how I received it in ~ 2004. 

This makes me realise I've had my car for 18/41 or 44% of its life  Confused
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
From what I recall 3rd speed is 1:1 I.e straight through shaft speed from the sun gear with neither the planet gears or carrier ring fixed. Iirc then the other speeds rely on the locking engagement of either the planets or ring or both. I suspect the whining is the brake bands failing to lock these in position. It is the power solenoids which yank the brake bands around the various positions in the epicyclic train to get the other ratios. If the fluid is coming up black then apparently thats usually as a result a breakdown of the friction material. If a new guvnor and solenoids hasn't fixed it then it probably is time for a refurb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154594006645?...media=MORE
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(05 Oct 2022, 00:31)Rich Hanlon Wrote: From what I recall 3rd speed is 1:1  I.e straight through shaft speed from the sun gear with neither the planet gears or carrier ring fixed. Iirc then the other speeds rely on the locking engagement of either the planets or ring or both. I suspect the whining is the brake bands failing to lock these in position.  It is the power solenoids which yank the brake bands around the various positions in the epicyclic train to get the other ratios.  If the fluid is coming up black then apparently thats usually as a result a breakdown of the friction material. If a new guvnor and solenoids hasn't fixed it then it probably is time for a refurb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154594006645?...media=MORE

Cheers Richard. Yes a refurb is the route that I will probably take.
I've had a chat with Dave Curry in the USA. it's always difficult to diagnose issues over the 'net, but he seems to think that the pin shown in my photo, is from the thrust bearings, and that, according to the manual, since I cant shift into 1st or second, its a symptom that the brake B2 isn't working?
I'll track down a company that can rebuild it , and it's always good to have a recommendation from a DeLorean owner who has also had similar work done.

Rich, I see that the company recommended a separate oil cooler? Did you get one ?

I suspect that this "crimped" pipe hasn't helped on mine ?

Attached Files Image(s)

I did see their bit about an oil cooler, yrs but I never did get one. I suspected that mine had been driven with a fault for a long time as the long term owner in the US seemed rather neglectful. So I always assumed that it was toasted due to repeated 3rd gear starts and probably original trans fluid, rather than a fundamental overheating issue.

I've done about 25k miles in it since and all is well (apart from when I melted the governor cable on the crossover pipe. )

I'm afraid I didn't go inside the trans case so I wouldn't be much help identifying that pin.

Turns out the company in Oldham and Derbyshire is the same company I dealt with in 2007 but in new premises.   As it happens I had to talk to them yesterday about another car.

The Derbyshire one is on 01283 521414 if that is any use.

You're right, that kink in the cooler pipe probably isn't helping matters. DGos, sell them, I also had one made up by Pirtek hoses at one stage.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Thanks Rich. Very useful information.
My DeLorean is with the Derbyshire branch of The Automatic Gearbox Company. It's been there for over 6 months now. They don't reply to my emails or voice messages. When I catch them on the phone, they've made little or no progress and won't commit to when work will be done. DO NOT SEND YOUR CAR THERE.
Gosh, that's not good at all, thanks for the warning.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I managed to pick up a second hand box from another owner during the week. Just cleaning it up and getting my car up high on blocks to remove the old and install the new. Lets hope that there are no snags eh?
I found it a pig to gt out...and that was on a lift! A Chum in NI did it in on the deck in a modest sized garage...I dont know how! He has my full admiration. Regarding the Derbyshire company....I'd march in demand it back, As is!!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian