Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto box oil change and kickdown switch
    Hiya Guys

After a quick conversation with Rich and a few others at the Ambergate meet I decided to dive into the Auto box oil change on my car, Ive posted a few pictures here, opinions welcomed on the condition etc and the full throttle switch as well.

So i drained the oil down and boy did it need doing it smelt vile burnt and very dark in colour im guessing not been changed for a long while.

The filter looked grubby and the magnet had onviousl done its infact the iron fillings gung looked almost alive  Sad 

The original sump gasket looked like a home made paper gasket doubled up but the cork and filter looked pretty original ish.

So I left it to drain overnight fitted new cork gasket and filter and new cork gasket (with a smear or RTV) then resealed and filled with nice fresh oil, I have cycled the gearbox through drive 1 2 and reverse ready for a run out this afto.

But while doing this I though I would check on the full throttle kick down switch after a quick conversation with Rich on sunday, I just wanted to check that I was in the right area because at full throttle the switch is miles off of any contact with a lever to activate it  Dodgy

Leaving me a little puzzled.  Huh

Mich

Attached Files Image(s)

Hmm, shame I didn't have time to look at mine simultaneously.
Looking now it seems I have had to bend a tab out on my kickdown switch.

It's the raised lever which is just at the bottom of your picture which should activate it.

This bit here. That's holding the throttle spool fully open by hand.

It's also worth ensuring that having the pedal down is giving you full throttle spool deflection as misadjustment means this doesn't always happen.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(03 Sep 2022, 13:28)Rich Hanlon Wrote: Hmm, shame I didn't have time to look at mine simultaneously.  
Looking now it seems I have had to bend a tab out on my kickdown switch.

It's the raised lever which is just at the bottom of your picture which should activate it.

This bit here. That's holding the throttle spool fully open by hand.

It's also worth ensuring that having the pedal down is giving you full throttle spool deflection as misadjustment means this doesn't always happen.

Cheers Rich

Throttle fully open is the rub I think there is a massive difference from how much movement there is opening the throttle with my hand at the spool I can get the tag to touch but when I have someone press the throttle in the car OMG its 20 to 25mm away from touching the tab  Shock so probably explains my rather slow response to the load pedal being mashed into the carpet  Angry I think I need to see the amont of movement I should have as compared to what I do have  Dodgy Dodgy

Cheers Mich
If you take the cover off and possibly the W shaped pipe, all should be revealed. There are various link rods etc under there which can be adjusted for length. The microswitch is also on slots so can be moved slightly but as you see I've had to bend mine out a bit.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Well a fiddly job but well worth the effort Thanks Rich for pointing me in the right direction from being 23 mm out of adjustment with the throttle cable being the main culprit and with the help of my wife Suzy doing the throttle on throttle off for nearly an hour I managed to balance throttle cable, gearbox kickdown cable two micro switches and a link rod Phew.

I did have to put a tiny bend in the micro switch alla Rich's mod but after keep testing it with the multimeter I was happy that I got 100% electrical trip everytime the throttle was buried.

So it just remained to take it for a spin today and WOW what a difference kicked down straight away and changed up dead on 6000 rpm, I tried multiple kickdown speeds right up to 70mph and no problem.

Happy boy to say the least but in doing that repair I have also managed indirectly to cure a second fault my intermitent engine stall at power off low revs it used to happen once or two a journey started right up no problem but was a little anoying as it did it sometimes on entering a slow corner, now that's fixed as well.

I have a feeling that the gearbox problem was caused by a replacement throttle cable as it looks new ish not new but maybe a few years old and it has never been set up correctly.

Also on the plus side my throttle responce is much much better leading leading me to belive that the cable was also the cause of the slow acceleration due to a sloppy throttle take up.

So today has been a good day for me and the Delorean may we have many more .

Mich
Excellent news Mich, well done and I'm glad you got there. Yes, they're fiddly as heck under there aren't they, lots of things fighting each other. And it sounds like you have a very patient assistant! But great to get to the bottom of a problem like that and find that it's relatively straightforward mechanical things, rather than something complicated with the fuel system or the like.

Yes, as you say it'll be a change from 500Hp, but I bet its much better than it was.

(Ps - could just be the pic lighting, but looks like there might be a couple of cracks in your main belt too. )
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
thats great news Mitch, glad to hear the car is driving so well now. Well done to
Rich for helping out too, its what this Club is all about.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Great news Mich. Glad you and the missus got the car sorted and that Rich could help you out (I knew he could!)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)