Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drivers door lock rod
Trying to get the door to open I tried altering the rod length to the door lock and managed to shear it off. I have obtained a new rod but after numerous attempts I can’t connect it. Can anyone explain how I would go about it please? There must be a knack to, a knack I clearly don’t have. TIA
Steve

DOC No. 1002

10023 - manual, grey interior affectionally known as Bella.

Audi Q5 

Audi A4 Convertible

Audi S5 V8 4.2L - Sold
might be worth asking theninjachicken (William Bollands) as he's recently done the doors
on his car, and did have fun and games with the locking system.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(02 Sep 2022, 17:04)Steveblackshark Wrote: Trying to get the door to open I tried altering the rod length to the door lock and managed to shear it off. I have obtained a new rod but after numerous attempts I can’t connect it. Can anyone explain how I would go about it please? There must be a knack to, a knack I clearly don’t have. TIA

hi Steve, I had trouble with my passenger rear lock rod so all I did was to first unhook every other rod that's connected to the specific latch from the bell-crank for either the front or rear.  be sure to either label or photos of orientation (just in-case) then unscrew the latch and wiggle it out of the door, this will allow full access to each hole the rods hook into.

Reinstall is a PITA as you have to use the rods to manoeuvre the latch back into position without also unhooking the rods. make sure not to make the latch unit drop flat or change orientation as you'll need to pull it back out and go again. (might be a better way but this worked for me)

my passenger rod kept coming out of the slot enough to rub on the door internal making it somewhat stay locked.
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
(06 Sep 2022, 11:23)Guinney1971 Wrote: might be worth asking theninjachicken (William Bollands) as he's recently done the doors
on his car, and did have fun and games with the locking system.

Thanks Claire

(06 Sep 2022, 15:11)Ctheningiachicken Wrote:
(02 Sep 2022, 17:04)Steveblackshark Wrote: Trying to get the door to open I tried altering the rod length to the door lock and managed to shear it off. I have obtained a new rod but after numerous attempts I can’t connect it. Can anyone explain how I would go about it please? There must be a knack to, a knack I clearly don’t have. TIA

hi Steve, I had trouble with my passenger rear lock rod so all I did was to first unhook every other rod that's connected to the specific latch from the bell-crank for either the front or rear.  be sure to either label or photos of orientation (just in-case) then unscrew the latch and wiggle it out of the door, this will allow full access to each hole the rods hook into.

Reinstall is a PITA as you have to use the rods to manoeuvre the latch back into position without also unhooking the rods. make sure not to make the latch unit drop flat or change orientation as you'll need to pull it back out and go again. (might be a better way but this worked for me)

my passenger rod kept coming out of the slot enough to rub on the door internal making it somewhat stay locked.

Hi William,

Things have moved on now thanks, all the rods are in and just need some fine tuning. Central Locking has never worked on my car and the pulse module wires are getting hot as are the wires and drivers solenoid, so I shall be disconnecting it; should resolve my battery drain issue at the same time. Given that there are no new pulse modules available at the moment I’m going to keep with the mechanical option as I have done for the last two years. Thanks for reply though.
Steve

DOC No. 1002

Audi Q5 

Audi A4 Convertible

Audi S5 V8 4.2L - Sold
This is the official procedure for setting up the door locks and rods.

This may prove useful to you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh1k4fd5dr9on5...e.pdf?dl=0

The DeLorean has always had parasitic battery drain inbuilt to its overall design (unintentional of course).
In its original design, the door lock module is the biggest one, closely followed by the centre console clock and the radio. The door lock module can be modified to reduce its impact without reducing its performance. (I’d have to look through my notes to remind myself of the detail)
Additional drains could include any alarm you also have fitted.

My car will only last about maybe 1 week or so (maybe 10 days) in the garage without being used before it’s not got enough juice left to start the car successfully.

The common solution is to install a battery isolating switch for when the car is laid up.
The car will be fine during times of more constant use and short stays where it might sit overnight or a few days.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(07 Sep 2022, 07:06)Rissy Wrote: This is the official procedure for setting up the door locks and rods.

This may prove useful to you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh1k4fd5dr9on5...e.pdf?dl=0

The DeLorean has always had parasitic battery drain inbuilt to its overall design (unintentional of course).
In its original design, the door lock module is the biggest one, closely followed by the centre console clock and the radio.  The door lock module can be modified to reduce its impact without reducing its performance. (I’d have to look through my notes to remind myself of the detail)
Additional drains could include any alarm you also have fitted.

My car will only last about maybe 1 week or so (maybe 10 days) in the garage without being used before it’s not got enough juice left to start the car successfully.

The common solution is to install a battery isolating switch for when the car is laid up.
The car will be fine during times of more constant use and short stays where it might sit overnight or a few days.

Brilliant, thanks Chris
Steve

DOC No. 1002

Audi Q5 

Audi A4 Convertible

Audi S5 V8 4.2L - Sold