Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto box filter change?
My Automatic transmission works perfect but I understand that you can now get a replacement Auto gearbox filter from Delorean Go!  Anybody fitted one and open to comments.
Chris
Never fitted one! My understanding is they were obsolete a long time ago and were re-manufactured by a chap in the US, D-Go then bought most of them to re-sell. I'm sure they were well made (there's a link over on DMCTalk about the making of them) and  I'm sure it certainly wouldn't harm to change it and fluids and IIRC a magnet in the sump. Sorry no other knowledge about them other than if it were me after 40 years I think I would change mine if I had one.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chris
If you type in part number 103702 D Go you can see a good explanation about "new and improved" filter. I think I am going to try one!
I did this last year. You really want to do this as the filters are only good for 15000 miles and since they weren't available for a long time a lot of cars are way overdue. It was a quick and painless job, and the old one had a fair bit of gunk on the magnet. This change and fresh fluid worked wonders, transmission really shifts nicely.

Also added the Transmission cooler wrap while I was under there. Cheap and a bit of extra protection. https://pjgrady.com/product/aluminum-at-...exchanger/

Have fun!
Yes, I have. Nothing difficult. You've got unobstructed access to the pan, so no funny manoeuvres needed to drop it. If your car is low mileage like mine, the sump gasket is probably original. Expect it to come off in pieces. Be patient though - good prep work is worth it. 

The filter itself was easy, just one or two bolts. Like the pan, it just comes straight down. I don't recall being able to find a torque spec for the filter, but it shouldn't be tight. I went gentle (10 ft/lbs, if that). 

Sump bolts 12 ft/lbs. 

Drain plug 15 ft/lbs.

I seem to remember finding a loose o-ring with the new filter. It didn't fit the pick-up pipe (too small). Might have been for the dipstick tube. Don't know. Mine didn't leak, so I left it alone. let me know if you figure it out.
Thanks, just as a matter of interest what make/brand of gasket sealer did you use on the gasket if any?
Don't believe I did use any sealer on the transmission pan. I only use sealer where the gasket won't stay in place during reassembly (like the valve cover gaskets). I use Heldite.
I just used the Silicone gasket. Seems to be working fine.