Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve adjustment
I'm trying to check/adjust the valves to eliminate them as a possible source of ticking. I'm not sure how to approach rotating the engine into TDC position. The workshop manual is no assistance and all the guides I've seen online either don't say or say to put the car in fifth gear and use the wheels. I have an automatic! 

There's no room between the exhaust heat shield and crank pully. Even if I got the heat shield off, I'm doubtful the clearance will be sufficient to get a socket onto the crank pulley. Any tips or instructions before I start doing things the hard way?
Are you sure the 'ticking' isn't a slight exhaust leak? Thats how mine started....
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(21 Nov 2021, 07:50)Chris P Wrote: Are you sure the 'ticking' isn't a slight exhaust leak?   Thats how mine started....

I'm not sure that it isn't an exhaust leak, but that's beside the question I'm asking which is how to get the engine into TDC.
Martin Gutkowski (Stunned Monkey) has done a few videos over the years including this one. He shows you how to get the car into TDC here. I’m sure he’s also used cylinder #1 for the same thing in another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u22n3kHrZjQ

Bill Robertson (a US guy) did this video solely related to finding TDC (you just have to filter out his dry dull monotone voice - good information despite the presentation skills)

https://youtu.be/iosrSN37xik
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
You can start by removing the heat shield......if you really can't get on the end of the crank nut, remove the silencer as well....good luck!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I've removed the heat shield, and as suspected, the gap is slightly too small to get a socket on the crank pulley nut. A large ring spanner should fit though. Does anyone know what size the crank nut is? Largest I've got on hand is 22mm and that's too small.
Its a 35mm nut, I got a ring spanner to fit off Ebay.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
I always just jack one rear wheel up, put it in fifth and turn the engine with the rear wheel.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
(21 Nov 2021, 20:51)Derfel Wrote: Its a 35mm nut, I got a ring spanner to fit off Ebay.

Cheers. I ordered one, it worked great. Valve clearance now checked and adjusted.  Smile
(11 Dec 2021, 21:48)Justwatching Wrote:
(21 Nov 2021, 20:51)Derfel Wrote: Its a 35mm nut, I got a ring spanner to fit off Ebay.

Cheers. I ordered one, it worked great. Valve clearance now checked and adjusted.  Smile

Fantastic! 

It's one of the jobs I need to do this winter as well!
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
Wink 
(26 Nov 2021, 09:20)Rich H Wrote: I always just jack one rear wheel up, put it in fifth and turn the engine with the rear wheel.

I don't suppose that works with Auto's Richard? 

Not that I have any intention of delving that deep into my engine...which is actually running very sweetly and starting on the button.........."if it aint broke ..dont fix it "  has always been one of my motto's.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(12 Dec 2021, 09:09)Chris P Wrote: I don't suppose that works with Auto's Richard? 

Ha!  Rolleyes A fine example of not properly reading the original post! Doh!
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
(11 Dec 2021, 21:48)Justwatching Wrote:

Did it 'solve' the ticking noise?
No improvement at all. 

On plus side though, I didn't make anything worse and I can rule it out as an issue.
Lol! Well, interesting to know. My own engine has a sort of 'ticking' sound which I've been wondering about too. Sometimes it just makes it sound like a slightly bassier VW Beetle. And I can't find the source of it. But then it does tend to come and go a bit, which at least leaves me thinking it's nothing too awful. Or maybe just a characteristic of the exhaust. Please keep us updated on your investigation..!
And a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, one and all!